FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
In the SF Bay Area, Comcast offers ABC, CBS and NBC in HD. Fox is rumored to be turned on by the Super Bowl.

GaryPen said:
Yes. But, for some reason in my area, not the local Fox. They still have it in SD, though. Weird.
exactly, with dish you don't have to worry about wether the cable company is carrying all your locals, which in most places they are missing some channels...

BFG said:
OMG the INHDs are NOT equvilent to the HDNets, so STFU

ok I feel better now, you offended my favorite channel :)
Good for you Spanky. I have no use for whanking material like Bikini Destinations. And, HDNet Movies should be called the Lone Wolf McQuade channel.

I'll tell ya. Just looking at the InHD web site, I am seeing a much better selection of Entertainment, Movies, Music, Sports, and Documentaries. No whanking material, though.

BFG said:
exactly, with dish you don't have to worry about wether the cable company is carrying all your locals, which in most places they are missing some channels...
That's right. With Dish, you KNOW they aren't.

Bobby. Do you mean that Comcast will have KTVU-DT by the Superbowl, or Dish will have FOX-HD Distant Nets?

Bobby said:
In the SF Bay Area, Comcast offers ABC, CBS and NBC in HD. Fox is rumored to be turned on by the Super Bowl.
I live in the SF Bay Area. The 811 gets me over 15 digital broadcasts with 8 or 9 in HD after 8:00 PM.

This includes Fox, ABC, CBS, NBC, WD, UPN and few PBS channels.

What about the drive capacity on the comcast DVR?

-Mark

GaryPen said:
Good for you Spanky. I have no use for whanking material like Bikini Destinations. And, HDNet Movies should be called the Lone Wolf McQuade channel.

I'll tell ya. Just looking at the InHD web site, I am seeing a much better selection of Entertainment, Movies, Music, Sports, and Documentaries. No whanking material, though.
Here's some stastics since you still think INHD is more compelling

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000873024786/

BFG said:
Here's some stastics since you still think INHD is more compelling

http://www.blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000873024786/

Ah yes. Impartial statistics from THE OWNERS OF HDNet. You will, of course, understand if I take their "statistics" with one or two grains of salt. And, I would also have to save my final judgement until I actually sub to InHD. It may be far worse than HDNet. I do know that I was way less than impressed with content on the HDNets. So, InHD would have to suck pretty bad.

GaryPen said:
That's right. With Dish, you KNOW they aren't.

Bobby. Do you mean that Comcast will have KTVU-DT by the Superbowl, or Dish will have FOX-HD Distant Nets?

The local rumor is that KTVU-DT will be on Comcast by Super Bowl Sunday.

I hate to go against the grain here, but I like the programming on IN HD better then HDNet, sure HD Net got some good stuff, but INHD just has more stuff I want to watch.

BTW not sure what that has to do with the 942. :)

Yes, it's time to get back on topic, sorry for the tangent.

But HDNet is still better :)

I still say the upgrade fee for a leased receiver is foolish.

Says more about Dish's financial situation more than their innovative technology.

and the fees? You'll pay more for fees that AT60!

Why does everyone argue about how wrong others opinions are. I mean, that's what they are is "opinions", why try, and what's the point, to change someone elses opinions? It just takes up space and is a bunch of useless reading.

A question

OK - I just signed up on Saturday and am supposed to have install this next Saturday. I got four receivers (1x811, 3x311) for $50 install, which is refunded on the first bill. With this plan, will the $250 offer be available or will I have to buy it outright? Thanks!

bcshields said:
I still say the upgrade fee for a leased receiver is foolish.
I see the "upgrade fee" as being analogous to the down payment you put down to lease a car. Without the "upgrade fee" the lease payment would have to be much higher. What's the big deal?

I already have 4 receivers using legacy lnbs and an sw64 switch. Not possible to run a 2nd line to my main TV. If Dish was willing to upgrade my hardware to Dishpro and a separator for free, maybe I might reconsider getting a 942? Until then, I'm happy with my 811 and Comcast 6412.

CygnusTM said:
I see the "upgrade fee" as being analogous to the down payment you put down to lease a car. Without the "upgrade fee" the lease payment would have to be much higher. What's the big deal?

Finally, an intellengent post. The bottom line is that I cannot live without a PVR anymore. I've had one for eight months now and my TV viewing habits do not allow me to watch "Live" TV anymore. I have a backlog of about 10-15 shows to watch as it is right now. I can watch a 30 minute program in about 22 minutes.

When you add that all up, I'm getting more free time in my day because of the PVR. To me, paying an extra $250 to lease a piece of equipment that frees me up on average about 30-45 minutes a day is well worth it.

I will be getting the 942 as I want a HD PVR...but don't want to pay $500-$700 upfront for one...especially with the technology changing so rapidly in PVRs anymore.

dont24 said:
I already have 4 receivers using legacy lnbs and an sw64 switch. Not possible to run a 2nd line to my main TV. If Dish was willing to upgrade my hardware to Dishpro and a separator for free, maybe I might reconsider getting a 942? Until then, I'm happy with my 811 and Comcast 6412.

I general, equipment purchased direct through dish includes installation. If that forces a new lnb/switch then so be it. But, you can't choose what you get.

Are your receivers legacy? Then you could end up with a 2nd sw64 (the signals off a legacy lnb can be split to two switches).

They could take you to a DPP44, but there are other ways too... Bottom line, if the installation is included, it's not your problem.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts