FROM DISH: New 942 Information

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Foxbat said:
With Scott's comment about the 942 not even being out to beta, we're probably still at least eight weeks away from seeing 942s in real customers' hands.
This news sucks but seems to be par for the course for Dish. I am ready right now and not interested in waiting for a few months. I hope like heck the 942 can get in my house in February. If that doesn't look feasible in a few weeks, screw it, I'll just buy the 921 I guess.

*sigh*

jdsabin1 said:
This news sucks but seems to be par for the course for Dish. I am ready right now and not interested in waiting for a few months. I hope like heck the 942 can get in my house in February. If that doesn't look feasible in a few weeks, screw it, I'll just buy the 921 I guess.

*sigh*
No way you're going to get a 942 in February. Chances are slim and none. Nada, nyet, nicht.

BFG said:
So, they don't now. So there should deffinetly be 2 OTA tuners. What a los to not be able to record another HD show while watching one :(
I wouldn't spend the money for another OTA tuner if I was dish because I would expect most TV's to have one already in the near future.

caesar gdi said:
I wouldn't spend the money for another OTA tuner if I was dish because I would expect most TV's to have one already in the near future.

That maybe true, but you wouldn't be able to record it on your pvr.

WJMorales said:
Just a small note on the 942 and OTA tuners. Think outside the box, why would Dish want you to get free Locals thru their equipment, thru an off air antenna. Eventually, locals will become digtal and be transmitted via the Dish, thus eliminating the need for the 2 OTA tuners. Their will be no way to get out of paying extra money for locals. Charlie needs money for Starbucks, folks!

My DMA is listed as the 65th largest in the country. My DMA probably won't be up on sat until the end of 2007 if then. So why can't I have 2 OTA tuners now. :confused:

Adelphia has both

I get both HDNet and InHD with Adelphia.

GaryPen said:
Ah yes. Impartial statistics from THE OWNERS OF HDNet. You will, of course, understand if I take their "statistics" with one or two grains of salt. And, I would also have to save my final judgement until I actually sub to InHD. It may be far worse than HDNet. I do know that I was way less than impressed with content on the HDNets. So, InHD would have to suck pretty bad.

Why expect 2 OTA tuners?

They still haven't figured out how to reliably make 1 work. And, for all of those who haven't had "many" problems, take a look at everyone who has. WAY too many defects with the product.

BFG said:
So, they don't now. So there should deffinetly be 2 OTA tuners. What a los to not be able to record another HD show while watching one :(

other options

if the 942 and the 921 have so many percieved problems, why not go with a sony rdr hx 1000, it can't record hi def but it comes very close at 15 mbps, and it has a 250 gig hd. and as a bonus you can put your movies, shows , etc on dvd. if the 942 can only record 25 hrs of high def you'll run out of space a lot quicker than you think. this sony will download the guide from dish network and works almost exactly like tivo, its really worth checking out if you want options other than dish network hardware ( i've never owned the 921 and i wont own the 942, but if you read this forum or others the majority of opinions will say that dish network recievers are pure junk.)

another thought

Who would pay hundreds of dollars for the ability to rent something (942)

mathius8 said:
Who would pay hundreds of dollars for the ability to rent something (942)

Who pays thousands of dollars to rent something? (car) Quite a few do.

You can lease a 942 for a bit over 1/2 the purchase price over 3 years.

You can lease a car for way more than 1/2 the purchase price over 3 years.

tid bit

i'm talking about the 250 dollar upgrade fee before you even begin to rent it, its like making a down payment when you lease a car (if you know anything about car sales or financing in general you will know what i'm talking about) when you make a down payment on a leased car it all goes to to the gross.

mathius8 said:
i'm talking about the 250 dollar upgrade fee before you even begin to rent it, its like making a down payment when you lease a car (if you know anything about car sales or financing in general you will know what i'm talking about) when you make a down payment on a leased car it all goes to to the gross.

I paid $50 (one time fee) to lease my 508 two years ago, and it was a good investment.

I have no problem with paying $250 to replace two of my receivers. My monthy cost is unchanged, since the lease fee ($5/month) is the same whether you lease one receiver or four.

I also like the ability to see downrezed HD content in my bedroom, if I want to (specifically the HDNET, HDNETMvies, and DiscoveryHD).

nuts4scuba said:
That maybe true, but you wouldn't be able to record it on your pvr.
I know but you would be able to record one OTA and view another OTA. you just wouldnt be able to record two OTAs

[color=black said:
WJMorales[/color]]Just a small note on the 942 and OTA tuners. Think outside the box, why would Dish want you to get free Locals thru their equipment, thru an off air antenna. Eventually, locals will become digtal and be transmitted via the Dish, thus eliminating the need for the 2 OTA tuners. Their will be no way to get out of paying extra money for locals. Charlie needs money for Starbucks, folks!
nuts4scuba said:
My DMA is listed as the 65th largest in the country. My DMA probably won't be up on sat until the end of 2007 if then. So why can't I have 2 OTA tuners now. :confused:
WJMorales,

What the difference between providing a digital OTA tuner and the analog OTA tuner that most Dish STB's already have. I think that it would be stupid for Dish to stop providing OTA tuners just because of the analog to digital switch.

caesar gdi said:
WJMorales,

What the difference between providing a digital OTA tuner and the analog OTA tuner that most Dish STB's already have. I think that it would be stupid for Dish to stop providing OTA tuners just because of the analog to digital switch.
The ONLY receivers that dish had with an OTA analog tuner was the model 5000 & the JVC-DVHS

mathius8 said:
If you knew anything about sales or financing in general, you would know that "lease != rent." :rolleyes: The $250 is a down payment on the lease of the 942. Is it any surprise to anyone that E* needs more than $5/month for a 942 to make the deal fiscally sound for them?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)