Front Projector Help for the Renter

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
OK,

So I just got off the phone with Gregg Loewen (called him about some AVS bull****) and, while on the phone, he recommended I consider FP instead of the 65" plasma.

I've always wanted to try FP, but I guess I've just been a chicken :)

I am not too concerned about a spot for the screen, or mounting it. My 3.1 system would be easy to place around the screen too. My main concern is placement of the BR player, the rcvr and cable box, and getting those wires to a FP that would most likely be behind me on a shelf. A owned house is not as bad, because you can make new holes and run wires, but a rental could be a bit more tricky.

Any input or ideas you FP guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Would you take the molding up, and around the top corner of the walls like crown molding?

Thats pretty neat. I mean ya still gotta have the right shaped living room, but the same goes for the 65".

It's just like crown molding. paintable and everything. You can run it up a corner and around. It's pretty cool when you're renting. There are quite a few different brands out there. Pretty inexpensive, too. Peel it off when you're done.

S~

Thats what I was thinking, very cool.

That would work great, then I would just need enough wall space to setup a screen, the surrounds and a rack for the av gear and HDDVR. With the denon, I guess all I'd have to the PJ is one HDMI, pretty neat.

Question is, should I risk buying the JVC RS2 Gregg has, or wait till I see the room.

if you run 3.1...no audio to hide (or not much).
If you run 5-7.1 you will have to be running speaker wires anyways.
You would also then run just 1 HDMI cable to the PJ.
Ive seen many systems in apartments / condos, which are meant to be temporary.
The biggest thing to consider is light control.

hehe....looks like we posted at the same time.

Once you go big....you will never want to go back EVER!!!

Yeah, I would be 3.1. I have the def tech fronts LCR's and they are very small. Klipsch 12" sub could go close, and then the rack.

What kinda life before the bulb needs replacing? This would be used for ALL tv viewing at about 2k hours/year.

What kinda life before the bulb needs replacing? This would be used for ALL tv viewing at about 2k hours/year.

At that viewing rate you will most likely replace a bulb about once a year. You might get a little longer than a year but you should plan on a yearly replacement at 2K hours.

If you get a FPTV remember, you turn in on and leave it on till Bedtime... there is no turning off for Supper or a quick trip to the store. I have a 42" in the livingroom for casual watching (on now) and run the FPTV's in the BT and HT on days off only due to my schedule...

Don, understood. I used to have a 46" Sony RPLCD, and I did the same with it. Once it came on, it did not get turned off for a 1 hour trip to wally world, because I read the bulb abuse is worse than leaving it on.

if you run 3.1...no audio to hide (or not much).
If you run 5-7.1 you will have to be running speaker wires anyways.
You would also then run just 1 HDMI cable to the PJ.
Ive seen many systems in apartments / condos, which are meant to be temporary.
The biggest thing to consider is light control.

Yeap. Not the brightest projector by any means. Great picture.

S~

I would like to know the brightness level comparison of a calibrated plasma and a calibrated fp.

The 2009 Panny's hit 40ftl's on Cnet, and I read somewhere else that they could be made to hit 80 in Vivid. I think the 40 in a calibrated mode is more than a PJ. My 2008 hits in the low 30's, and its BRIGHT (to me).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)