Frontier Channel Bonder DSL

ncted

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
Durham, NC
Anyone have any experience with Frontier Channel Bonded DSL? I am thinking of ditching Road Runner when I switch from TWC to Dish for TV. Frontier offers DSL in my area with speeds up to 25/3Mbps. I am curious to hear how this technology is working for other people.

Thanks,
Ted

Looks like I cannot get DSL of any flavor at my house, so nevermind I guess.

I got the bonded service and you will not achieve 25 mb period unless you are lucky. I have seen as high as 21 mb but very seldom. Most of the time I can get up to 18-20 mb at night around 1-2 am. Most of the time I see around 6-12 mb. They did mention that my local CO was not on the new fiber ring but all of them should be by the end of the year.

Just to note, I had issues with my connection for the first month and it took them a while to figure out the problem. They kept saying everything was fine between my home and the DSLAM across the road. It in fact was but it kept dropping my connection and required a reboot to bring it back which was frustrating for remote access. Finally I got code blue on the issue and they worked on it a bit and found that the DSLAM needed a software update in order to do the bonded DSL and it has not had a dropout since.

I have frontier dsl. In my area 768k download is all they can or will give us. The cost is 40.00 per month.

Ping times are awful. 202-336 ms.

Upload is 128k

Believe it or not, Netflix plays over it standard def.

Don't ever get frontier dsl. When your local cable company is offering faster speeds for the poor soul that's getting 768 k download speeds I would call the frontier corp office and beotch. That's insane 40 bucks for that I have good contacts at frontier

I've got Frontier DSL, 6M/512k and am very happy with it. Paying $30/month for it for a bit longer, then it will go to $40. Local cable company will and have given me faster, but at $50 during some 1 year promo or $65 without promo. I found that with 6M I can do 2 HD streams just fine and I don't do anything that needs faster downloads and certainly not anything needing faster uploads.

Speeds were 5-6 MB for a little over a year. They started line bonding and the speeds actually dropped. Now I am good to do 2 MB and load a youtube video unless I put it on the lowest playback resolution quality. PATHETIC!

I have frontier , and I am in Princeton, WV area. I don't have the bundled service. I have Directv.

But Frontier sucks very bad. It's the worse internet I have ever used. It's so bad for me, I can't even watch Netflix on it.
I am just about to cancel the service anyway, and just get internet over the cell phone, since I mainly just use internet for Facebook, and email. If I need to do something more, I just usually go to a friends house and use their internet,

I've got Frontier DSL, 6M/512k and am very happy with it. Paying $30/month for it for a bit longer, then it will go to $40. Local cable company will and have given me faster, but at $50 during some 1 year promo or $65 without promo. I found that with 6M I can do 2 HD streams just fine and I don't do anything that needs faster downloads and certainly not anything needing faster uploads.

A little update. After the 1st year, my 6Mb DSL went up to $32.66, can't figure out what the hell makes up that number, but that's it.

I got to thinking that I'd like a little more speed, so I ordered the upgrade today to 12Mb. Install is set for 9/17/2013 and I have no clue as to what the 'install' is actually going to be. Cost with be $49.99/month with a one-year contract and a one-time $49.00 install. Install started at $149, then dropped fast to $99 and when I balked at that there suddenly appeared yet another discount to bring it to $49. Couldn't get them to budge off that.

Anyone know what gear is different with the 12Mb service? My current DSL router is some Netgear jobbie.
?

Got the upgrade from Frontier today. Turns out it isn't bonded DSL, but is VDSL.

Speedtest shows:
Ping : 24ms
Download : 11Mbps
Upload : 1Mbps

I'm 6300 feet from the CO and the tech who came by to check it out said I'm nearly at the furthest they can be with this. No change in equipment at my end, all the work done at the CO.

I'm tickled pink!!
?

Frontier finally upgraded our area to the new fiber ring earlier this year and I have been getting a solid 21 MB down and 1.5-1.8 MB up with around 20-33 ms ping on the bonded ADSL2+ lines. Huge improvement. The area was heavily congested before their upgrade at the main CO for the area. I know someone close to me getting 12 MB down and 20 ms on a nonbonded line.

That's what I'm getting on my non-bonded DSL. Tech said it was VDSL, all I know is it works on the Netgear 7550(?) DSL Modem/Router with no changes on my end. But reading about VDSL, 12Mbps should only be doable out to 4500 feet. I'm at 6300 according to the tech yet I'm working great.

?

I can finally get their new service. A friend tells me that they have spent millions in my area upgrading equipment and lines. Getting 24-30/2. Interesting that they have switched to a range of download speeds. The other options were 6-7/1 and 12-15/1. Anyway, I hope it is good, so I can drop TWC once and for all.

-Ted

I can finally get their new service. A friend tells me that they have spent millions in my area upgrading equipment and lines. Getting 24-30/2. Interesting that they have switched to a range of download speeds. The other options were 6-7/1 and 12-15/1. Anyway, I hope it is good, so I can drop TWC once and for all.

-Ted

Sounds like its ADSL2. Why do you dislike TWC?

Sounds like its ADSL2. Why do you dislike TWC?

My main complaint with TWC is the price for what I get (and it just went up again), but I also dislike the modem fees, the crappy DNS service, the clear traffic shaping they are doing, and, if the Comcast merger goes through, the inevitable bandwidth caps.

I realize Frontier might not be all that, but getting good service at a decent price is all I really want. I saw today that we might be getting Google Fiber someday too, assuming TWC doesn't pay off the state government to ban it, so hopefully there will be more options in the future.

-Ted

So, TWC apparently already paid my state government to pass anti-competitive laws to keep Google Fiber out, so I will likely never see the fast lanes of the Internet anyway.

I'm hoping I heard the person at frontier right but my package price of under 40 shouldn't change with bonding up to 12 Megs:pray. It sounded like I got grandfathered in since I already had highspeed max from them though it probably helped that that i noticed my neighbor getting it and mentioned that :deal. They told me also that they are not charging for their modems anymore and that my current rate shouldn't change. I'm scheduled for next week so we'll see what happens. The last time I got an offer like this I had to stand my ground to get rid of their charged modem being I hadn't used it for 6 months or more :strike2.

BTW with bonding I have a netgear dgnd 3700v2 (v1 has 1 pair and v2 has 2 pairs) which supports adsl through adsl2+. That should be compatible with frontier though probably needing a re-setup for modem settings right?

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts