Frustrated by numerous program guide issues

Fox channel 28 in Columbus, Ohio has been broadcasting on channel 6.3 since the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts began on January 8, 2021. Channel 28.1 has been TBD.

The Dish Guide wrongly shows the Fox 28 guide on channel 28.1 and just says Fox28 but does not show the program guide on channel 6.3.

I have mentioned this repeatedly to Dish but nothing has been done to fix the guide. Perhaps the Dish employee can get this done. Thank you for trying.

Fox channel 28 in Columbus, Ohio has been broadcasting on channel 6.3 since the ATSC 3.0 broadcasts began on January 8, 2021. Channel 28.1 has been TBD.

The Dish Guide wrongly shows the Fox 28 guide on channel 28.1 and just says Fox28 but does not show the program guide on channel 6.3.

I have mentioned this repeatedly to Dish but nothing has been done to fix the guide. Perhaps the Dish employee can get this done. Thank you for trying.

Same thing for Beaumont, TX. Fox channel moved from 4.1 to 6.3. Channel 4.1 is now Dabl. DISH guide still shows Fox data on 4.1 and nothing on 6.3. I've reported this a dozen times, including to the DIRT team here at SatGuys. Nothing has changed.

Read my lips, "THEY DON'T CARE".

Reactions: MikeD-C05
In Chicago WPWR 50.1 has the same guide information as WFLD 32.1.
WSNS 44.1 has the same guide information as WMAQ 5.1.
WKFT 60.1 has the same guide information as WBBM 7.1
This is just three in Chicago but I bet there are hundreds throughout the system.

I contacted one of the Dish Tech employees. It took him a few calls but he got it fixed. I would like to thank him but I don't want to put his name on line. He is a member of this forum. Thanks again Dish Tech.
It used to be that easy back when DISH was getting locals added in the 2000s to just call up and they would let you talk to Kip Wilcox who was the engineer for the local stations on DISH. I once called in and corrected all the guide information for our area and then I "moved" to where my Aunt lived in Arkansas and called him back and we tweaked the audio volume and picture artifacts and the guide information for those stations. I got a DISH pen and a magnets sent to me back then and he told his department to always put me through for phone calls. You could also send emails to dishquality@echostar.com back then and they would tweak the national channels if problems. Those were the days when DISH really cared about what the customers thought. Before they split DISH away as a separate company form DISH Network. Sadly all that is gone now. :(

Same thing for Beaumont, TX. Fox channel moved from 4.1 to 6.3. Channel 4.1 is now Dabl. DISH guide still shows Fox data on 4.1 and nothing on 6.3. I've reported this a dozen times, including to the DIRT team here at SatGuys. Nothing has changed.

Read my lips, "THEY DON'T CARE".
Same here. That is why I went with Sling tv and their Air tv Anywhere 4 tuner ota dvr. This device actually has the correct guide information on all those channels and more . It is just like how my tv tuner with complete guide information does it. But yes. DISH doesn't care anymore about guide problems.

Reactions: charlesrshell
In Chicago WPWR 50.1 has the same guide information as WFLD 32.1.
WSNS 44.1 has the same guide information as WMAQ 5.1.
WKFT 60.1 has the same guide information as WBBM 7.1
This is just three in Chicago but I bet there are hundreds throughout the system.
From what I have been told, those ones can't be fixed with the current way Dish sends out EPG's because WPWR and WFLD are on the same transmitting frequency. Same thing with the other two - the primary channel shows up on all the channels that share a frequency. At one point they were experimenting in a couple of other markets to fix it, but I don't know what ever became of that.

One other thing that drives me crazy, with Formula One Races which I have set to record New episodes, it always picks the one latest in the day. Even though it runs live at say 9 AM, it chooses to record one that is on in the evening. Almost every week I have to search for the live broadcast and set it to record manually.

Why doesn't it pick the first episode that airs?
It's bad enough that they run on random ESPN channels.

I've also experienced many of the other oddities and wonder why they can't show the cast on even some big movies, or images of big stars that you can find anywhere.

I also get times when the description doesn't go with the program I have selected, or even worse, the program that's on isn't the one shown in the guide.
I've never had any other cable TV channel but Dish, so I have no comparison as to how it compares to other services.

My last gripe is how often my Cable Box messes up and doesn't do what it's supposed to. I have one now that I've only had for a year or so and it already starting to act weird every time I have to get a new one I lose all my recordings.

I've been a customer for years, what do I have to do to get a box like the ones they advertise on TV to new consumers?

I've actually seriously thought about just getting an antenna for network TV and using my internet connection from Comcast to get steaming TV for everything else.
I already spend half my time on Amazon Prime, which I get for free, because I would pay for Prime anyway.

Reactions: charlesrshell
A couple of quirks:

Was looking forward to a CW program I received OTA. Schedule tab shows that it was recorded, but I can't find it anywhere including Trash.

Also, on the DVR Schedule tab, I have the Skipped option turned off, but it frequently gets switched back on. One of the triggers I've noticed is when using the Search function, searching for a program using the "0" option seems to trigger it. Another suspect is turning on and off Closed Caption. Neither seems to be 100%.

I'm hoping that the Hopper 3 EPG will be much better than the crappy EPG I have now with the DVR 625s. Over the past year or so I've posted numerous complaints about the EPG and called Dish several times, until I finally had to give up and just accept it as is.

Last edited:
I have a new guide issue. For the past few days the guide info for my OTA channels has gone missing. Interestingly, some of the sub channels are still getting guide info but not the primary channels. Did Dish change guide providers yet again?

Whose fault is the guide issue? Is it dish or the local channels
99.9% of the time, it's either Dish (or their vendors). The locals will send the same data out to multiple companies (who then sell to the MVPDs) in addition to putting the information on PSIP. It seems to me every other site (PSIP, cable, streaming, TVGuide, etc) has the correct info.

Reactions: MikeD-C05