Frustrated by numerous program guide issues

For transparency we are monitoring this thread and if you post specific details we can attempt to resolve the issues before your timers are affected.

In addition, with the Gracenote transition some series premieres do not have the same "series ID" that they had with TiVo and we're working very hard to resolve these on a case by case basis, but some may slip through the cracks.

Thank you all for your patience, but this should be a one-time rough transition and will improve in the future.
It would be useful if you let users know in advance of a provider change rather than being surprised when timers don't work.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It would be useful if you let users know in advance of a provider change rather than being surprised when timers don't work.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that EPG transition has been pretty common knowledge on this forum for a while.

Otherwise any customer wide communication about an EPG provider change would not be my department, but I can pass the feedback along to the team that would plan that sort of thing.

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that EPG transition has been pretty common knowledge on this forum for a while.

Otherwise any customer wide communication about an EPG provider change would not be my department, but I can pass the feedback along to the team that would plan that sort of thing.
We see a lot of rumors and speculation that are presented as fact. It would be nice to know what is official.

Really getting tired of timer/guide issue with dish. ALL of my timers where redone less then month ago, and 2 days ago was check schedule and notice a timer on AXS Impact Wrestling, which AIR ever freaking week, the timer wasnt gona trigger and wasnt even been SEEN as airing despite the fact it was and even show it was. so deleted the time made new one and it was gona record, check again today and THAT new timer was gona record wasnt being seen as being played. just have delete it AGAIN and make new one. and this isnt the only channel this crap is happen again. how many time is guides meta info gona be changed? or the real problem really dish and there software?

This utter bs Dish need to fix this crap. it been going on for 3 + years it get better then then get worse then get better then gets worse. and them changing there provider over and over just for happen again dont freaking help. Dish need to just do there own freaking guide, atlest this way even when that mess we know we can fully blame dish. I am tired of have to baby sit my freaking timers

Dish should NEVER change providoed 3+ years back cause before that first change there was no such issue
Same here with Impact. i just made another timer 'WEEKLY" for that and left my old timer just in case.

For transparency we are monitoring this thread and if you post specific details we can attempt to resolve the issues before your timers are affected.

Thank you for monitoring the thread. For that reason alone I'm surprised it's not a Sticky. Anyway, lets see if this one can be fixed or explained beforehand.

The new episode of This Old House, that I have scheduled to record from KNPB (Reno DMA) on Oct 22nd, is listed as episode 1,480 in the EPG. The next episode that is airing on Oct 29th is listed as episode six, and the timer can't find the program. According to the EPG, the 41 year old program will go from 1,480 episodes directly to six episodes. The timer was created on 2014-08-26 and has worked flawlessly since then, but will stop working after Oct 22nd. Whatever happened to This Old House also happened two weeks ago to Ask This Old House, which will air episode 3 tomorrow. :rolleyes:

With so many EPG issues, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that DISH has a saboteur intentionally wrecking the EPG. Just enough not to be too obvious, but enough to cause churn.

Thank you for monitoring the thread. For that reason alone I'm surprised it's not a Sticky. Anyway, lets see if this one can be fixed or explained beforehand.

The new episode of This Old House, that I have scheduled to record from KNPB (Reno DMA) on Oct 22nd, is listed as episode 1,480 in the EPG. The next episode that is airing on Oct 29th is listed as episode six, and the timer can't find the program. According to the EPG, the 41 year old program will go from 1,480 episodes directly to six episodes. The timer was created on 2014-08-26 and has worked flawlessly since then, but will stop working after Oct 22nd. Whatever happened to This Old House also happened two weeks ago to Ask This Old House, which will air episode 3 tomorrow. :rolleyes:

With so many EPG issues, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that DISH has a saboteur intentionally wrecking the EPG. Just enough not to be too obvious, but enough to cause churn.
Wondered what happened to Ask This Old House, hadn't had the time to look. Part of the "frustration" is it takes more time to setup your TV watching than to do it.

Another thing that I hadn't had time to look into:

When looking at the "Info" for a program and you select the "Showtimes" button, sometimes you see the full list for all the dates contained in the guide. Other times, you only see the times for that episode as is the case for "The News with Shepherd Smith" on CNBC. Had a minor issue one night recently where I watched it not long after the recording and deleted it. The same episode recorded at a later airing.

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
While I'm at it, I'm pretty sure that it must be known that any slight change to the program's name excludes it from the timer.

Frequent example: "The Show" changes to "The Show with host's name" then back to "The Show".

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the occurrences or do we just need to post a heads up every time?

Reactions: Josephinelcajon
For OTA, I gave up on Dish. I have a Fire TV Cube and I purchased their Recast. It covers all but 2 or our 36 OTA channels with an accurate free 2 week guide. No OTA guides for METV or METV+. I have METV on Dish already, so I have an accurate guide, so the only one I do not have in METV+. I need to call Fire TV help line to see if they can add the missing ones. On the 24th, the Sports Grid is being replaced OTA with Rewind and I already have that listed starting on Monday on the Recast guide.

While I'm at it, I'm pretty sure that it must be known that any slight change to the program's name excludes it from the timer.

Frequent example: "The Show" changes to "The Show with host's name" then back to "The Show".

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the occurrences or do we just need to post a heads up every time?
Some sporting events are like this like NASCAR constantly puts a sponsor name or race track name.

Some sporting events are like this like NASCAR constantly puts a sponsor name or race track name.
Actually, they don't. My timer for NASCAR is titled "NASCAR Cup Series", that's all. There are two of these timers, one for FOX races at the beginning of the season and a second set for NBC/USA and they correctly record all the Cup series races and I have timers for the Xfinity and Truck series races that have so far worked for every race.

Here's an update since my last post:

Many may assume that what appears on the Guide is what matters, that is far from the truth. Some insight may be gleaned from the information that appears to the right pertaining to the selected program.

The problem may be more complex than anyone might imagine. Changes being made on the TBN network give some clues. TBN seems to be upgrading their guide info. Making name changes to programs, adding episodes, and indicating NEW programs/episodes. Changes are being made on a program by program basis.

Example: (also weird issue)

CENTERPOINT - indicating NEW programs starting this Thursday. This affects existing timers, which do not recognize programs thru Wednesday. The Search app is also affected only showing programs starting with Thursday.

Here's an update since my last post:

Many may assume that what appears on the Guide is what matters, that is far from the truth. Some insight may be gleaned from the information that appears to the right pertaining to the selected program.

The problem may be more complex than anyone might imagine. Changes being made on the TBN network give some clues. TBN seems to be upgrading their guide info. Making name changes to programs, adding episodes, and indicating NEW programs/episodes. Changes are being made on a program by program basis.

Example: (also weird issue)

CENTERPOINT - indicating NEW programs starting this Thursday. This affects existing timers, which do not recognize programs thru Wednesday. The Search app is also affected only showing programs starting with Thursday.
It would be interesting to find out what other providers have for their information on a given program. For those with satellite delivered locals and OTA, can you see what information is in PSIP? For cable/sat networks (TBN, TBS, Disney, etc), compare what's on their website vs the Dish guide. If someone happens to have access to Direct and/or cable in addition to Dish, what do those say?

I would be very surprised if a network sends different episode information to different providers.

Been keeping an eye on CENTERPOINT referenced in my last post. Results don't make much sense to me. Study ended.

Search only shows tomorrows programs.

had setup only new timer to figure out issues
- shows all available programs
- only tomorrow and Friday's programs are new

Results from Guide:
- could not add timer for series on today's program "failed"

- tomorrows program displays itself with Showtimes on summary tab, displays October programs on episode tab

- Friday's program displays itself with Showtimes on summary tab, displays October programs on episode tab

- Monday's program displays all available programs with Showtimes on summary tab, displays October programs on episode tab (shifting from Summary to Episode tab and back changes results)

Hopper 3 search function is affected by the same issues as timers. There also may be a correlation where search results with more than one occurrence for a program are related to broken timers.

This became clear after timer issues with This Old House and Ask This Old House . I became aware in the reverse order of Rolan's earlier post. I missed 1 or 2 episodes of Ask This Old House, but thought I was up-to-date with This Old House.
It was only after fixing the posted issue that I realized the other was broken.

Using the Search function, the "New" episodes of This Old House didn't appear.

I'm in the Mountain time zone, Albuquerque market. Late night is messed up for Jimmy Kimmel Live! The existing timer has no entries until Friday 11/4. Also messed up is The Late Late Show With James Corden which has no entries until Thursday 11/3. They both appear on the Dish guide for tonight. Can't tell if they are new, so setting new timers.

DVR/GUIDE Problem
Smithsonian, CH-367, Air Disasters.
Timer set to record only new episodes. It records old episodes and episodes that were recently aired. This has been ongoing for a while now.

ABC 7.1 Chicago program title's read New Shark Vacuum, Alabama Grill and other junk. The programming is correct. I sent a couple of messages to the Dirt Team. No response from them.
As of today, I have the correct programming on ABC 7.1 here in Chicago. It was fixed at some point over the last 24 hours.

As of today, I have the correct programming on ABC 7.1 here in Chicago. It was fixed at some point over the last 24 hours.
I contacted one of the Dish Tech employees. It took him a few calls but he got it fixed. I would like to thank him but I don't want to put his name on line. He is a member of this forum. Thanks again Dish Tech.