Frustrated DishNetwork Guy with questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bassguy354

Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
I am currently a DishNetwork customer. I have an SD programming package, a very old PVR (508) that predates HD (and PVR fees!), and one dumb receiver. Due to the lack of some channels in HD, I am considering switching to DirectTV. I only care about the following channels (in HD):

Comedy Central
CNN
Food Network
History Channel
HGTV
Speed
Spike
TLC
Local FOX Affiliate
Local NBC Affiliate

I do not want any SD content at all, but I will take the freebies (NASA, Shopping, What's on PPV, etc) if they are offered.

I want a DVR that has all the standard features such as pause, FF, RW, 30 sec skip, (all on live TV and prerecorded programs), has over 30 hrs HD capacity, can run in 2 television mode (Like the DishNetwork 622/722), and otherwise is a decent piece of equipment. I greatly prefer UHF remote controls over old fashioned IR ones. What does DirectTV Have to offer that fits my bill or at least comes close? How much will it cost in the real world, without any promotional discounts, and with any DVR fees and/or equipment lease fees? The receivers WILL NOT be able to connect to a phone line, as I do not have old fashioned phones in my home. Thanks to anyone who has any useful information. DirectTV themselves and local resellers have been worthless in answering my questions.

Michael

I only care about the following channels (in HD):

Comedy Central
There's precious little non-upconverted content that can be measured in hours per week on one hand.
CNN
Food Network
History Channel
HGTV
These are also available on DISH.
Speed
Spike
These are in the win column for DIRECTV.
DISH too.
Local FOX Affiliate
Local NBC Affiliate
Don't know where you live, so I can't help you with that. The information is available on the DIRECTV website under "Local Channels".
I do not want any SD content at all, but I will take the freebies (NASA, Shopping, What's on PPV, etc) if they are offered.
With DIRECTV, you must subscribe to the SD package that contains the channels you're interested in to get the HD versions. In your case, you would have to subscribe to the Choice package plus HD ($9.99), 5.99 DVR fee and $4.99 additional receiver fee. After the honeymoon, your price would be about $75.97/month or so.
I want a DVR that has all the standard features such as pause, FF, RW, 30 sec skip, (all on live TV and prerecorded programs), has over 30 hrs HD capacity,
You're doing fine up to this point.
can run in 2 television mode (Like the DishNetwork 622/722),
No can do here. You need two separate DVRs
and otherwise is a decent piece of equipment.
Compared to the 508, yes.
I greatly prefer UHF remote controls over old fashioned IR ones.
This is doable.
What does DirectTV Have to offer that fits my bill or at least comes close?
You would need a HR22 HD DVR and a R16 SD DVR to approximate a single DISH ViP722.
DirectTV themselves and local resellers have been worthless in answering my questions.
Have you tried the system configuration wizard on the DIRECTV website??? It gives you a run-down on the fees and the package pricing details show what the long-term cost is (for the next six days anyway). The prices mostly go up on March 1st. http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/162990-directv-price-increases-coming-march.html

So DirectTV doesn't sell HD channels w/o their SD equivalents? There's no equivalent to the DishNetwork TurboHD? That's probably why I've been having so much trouble finding info! $76 / mo is way more than I want to pay for television. I'm trying to squeeze my bill down from the current $58 at DishNet (for SD). I might just have to turn to an alternative content source if these stupid prices keep going up. Thanks for the info, though.

Michael

The Choice package offers all the channel you want expect for TLC & Speed and costs $29.99 for 1 year.
The Choice Extra package has all the channel you want for $34.99 for 1 year. After one year will cost 57.99.

Then HD is an extra 9.99 per month.

The Directv HD DVR's only work on 1 tv. If you wanted another Non- DVR HD Receiver you would need to get an H21 or H22.

Directv doesn't currently offer an HD Only Package, but I heard they will in the future some time.

Also Dish is working on expanding there HD lineup, so some of those channel should be coming soon.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)