Frustrated with DirecTV HR20-700 receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
I am just frustrated at this point the receiver menu is slow and laggy, rebooted and it still didn't help.
After using my friends Dish Network receiver, it makes me really sad.
I mean, wow, its day and night on how responsive their receivers are and how horrible mine is.
Mine can get laggy, the scroll down menu is slow and choppy at times.
I am not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but this is getting worse by the weeks.

I was a little worried in my switch back, because I had a HR22 with the AM21 and it was a dog!

I'm really not bugged by my current HR22's (no AM21). They are slower, but not to where it bugs me. I love the the quick record and series link "R" button. Wish Dish had that.

I know its a dead horse, but everything I've watched on my 55" since I fired up Directv, looks better than what I was seeing on Dish (SYFY, Disc HD).

Mine can get laggy, the scroll down menu is slow and choppy at times.
I am not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but this is getting worse by the weeks.
This is an issue, But it sounds like yours is worse then the Norm.
I would reccomend a Service call.
D* receivers are Slower , Some will say they aren't , and they are full of it.;)
Everything you described is a normal function on a D* R and HR receiver, Your's though maybe defected, since it sounds way more enhanced then the norm.

Yeah, only time my HR22 ever pissed me off and made me miss the HR20, was with the AM21. I never had any issues out of my HR20.

My HR20 is fine, HR21...slooooow....

You are right the Dish receivers are faster. But yours shouldn't be getting worse. I agree with Hemi....call and get a service call....

Sometimes if the hard drive is full it will slow down, could be a factor.

You can test the hard drive in the diagnostic screen. Reboot, at the "self check" screen press Select. There is a hard drive test in there. Don't mess with many options, some can do bad things. You can do an easy hard drive test there though, it's how I found out I had a bad one when my receiver was constantly stuttering.

Dish had a massive infomercial display at ces this year showing the speed difference between a 722 & dtv hd dvr. I have to agree the hr20 is laggy but we all have to live with it, if Dtv has not fixed it in 2 years it will not be fixed its the #1 complaint. I'm switching to dish myself when ever the 922 is released enough is enough.

I've been with both twice, had hr20s, hr22s, 622,722, and 722k. They both have goods and bads, and even with the lag, I find nothing bad with the directv dvrs. I like the fact they were smart enough to add native. Don't be surprised if the 922 is buggy. My 722k had several blank recordings.

I have an HR20.
I've never had a dishnetwork DVR to compare it to.
I don't have any issues with my HR20.
I'm never sitting in front of the TV yelling HURRY UP YOU SLOW DVR!!
:)

My HR20 is faster than my HR21 but they are both slow.it can be irritating at times but it has gotten better from when i first switched to D*.

I've been with both twice, had hr20s, hr22s, 622,722, and 722k. They both have goods and bads, and even with the lag, I find nothing bad with the directv dvrs. I like the fact they were smart enough to add native. Don't be surprised if the 922 is buggy. My 722k had several blank recordings.
My 722 had Bugs too when I first got it. I wasn't impressed.:( Much improved now.:)
I stand behind my 622, Flawless fast, and Never had 1 HDMI issue or missed recording. I had it 30 months, and it was refurbished when I got it.
I LOVE IT!

Only time I really see it is the guide. The trick play works fine, and thats where it would be real annoying.
The Channel Changing is slower then the E* receivers, The interactive features are slow and sometimes wouldn't load, mostly Game lounge. Accessing the favorites list, would sometimes cause a reboot, I guess if the receiver felt over worked.
These are my biggest complaints.

The R16-300 I have currently . Is slow at remote commands, and the receiver is slow at performing the commands.
I have Never owned a slower unresponsive receiver since I've had Satellite TV.
E* Worst receiver, is a Vast improvement over the R16. And about even with the HR20.;)

Biggest thing with the 722k is not deleting anything on the ext hdd while you are recording, or it freezes the tuner. :(
Mine was the IR remote 1 ,
the receiver would just stop responding to it.
So I switched it so I could use the TV 2 remote RF, since I use my 722 in single mode anyhow.
There has been a software update, that claims a fix for this , but I haven't tried it.
If I'm forced to pay $17 per month for a Duo DVR, then I'll never Try TV1 remote ,Because my 722 is going back.:rant:

Anyone have a HR21 Pro?
What is that like?
AND BE HONEST!
I'm thinking of Getting one in the Spring.
I don't want to pay $4-5 hundred on a piece of crap.
I might as well lease an HR 23 then.

Anyone have a HR21 Pro?
What is that like?
AND BE HONEST!
I'm thinking of Getting one in the Spring.
I don't want to pay $4-5 hundred on a piece of crap.
I might as well lease an HR 23 then.

I suggest you pass. Honestly its as slow as my HR21. Used it and glad I never bought it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts