Frustrated with Orby

Complained on FB and now I can't post or comment on their FB page.
The box is mine and Orby is denying me access to the shows that I recorded.

Attachments

• 20190516_DVR.jpg
    20190516_DVR.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 317
What are the circumstances for the denied access to the DVR recordings? Did you have the DVR service then cancel? According to the use policy, recordings will not be available after the DVR service is terminated.

(e) DVR Service. One or more models of Receiver for the Service may include functionality for a digital video recorder service (“DVR Service”). If and when offered by Orby TV, a DVR Service from Orby TV will be a separately sold service, at our rates in effect at the time, available to customers with a Receiver with DVR Service functionality. This DVR Service would give you the ability to see and record televised programs ("Third Party Content"). You understand that Orby TV does not guarantee the access to or recording of any particular program, or the length of time any particular recorded program may remain available on your Receiver for your viewing. If you or Orby TV terminates your DVR Service, or Orby TV discontinues its DVR Service, you will not be able to record programming or view programs already recorded on your Receiver.

What are the circumstances for the denied access to the DVR recordings? Did you have the DVR service then cancel? According to the use policy, recordings will not be available after the DVR service is terminated.

(e) DVR Service. One or more models of Receiver for the Service may include functionality for a digital video recorder service (“DVR Service”). If and when offered by Orby TV, a DVR Service from Orby TV will be a separately sold service, at our rates in effect at the time, available to customers with a Receiver with DVR Service functionality. This DVR Service would give you the ability to see and record televised programs ("Third Party Content"). You understand that Orby TV does not guarantee the access to or recording of any particular program, or the length of time any particular recorded program may remain available on your Receiver for your viewing. If you or Orby TV terminates your DVR Service, or Orby TV discontinues its DVR Service, you will not be able to record programming or view programs already recorded on your Receiver.
I didn't read the terms of service. If I did I wouldn't go with a company that would deny me access to my own DVR recordings. To me that is unfair business practice.

Had Orby for 4 weeks now and I'm not happy with it. Every day a different channel has a lost signal. Not 1 day when every channel had a signal. Also can't record 1 OTA channel and watch a different OTA channel at the same time. Website says you can.
So we all understand, is it fair to say that you're Orby beefs are all about the OTA aspect?

It sounds like the problem is with something that only you have control over (your OTA signal). Taking Orby to task for that doesn't seem fair.

So we all understand, is it fair to say that you're Orby beefs are all about the OTA aspect?

It sounds like the problem is with something that only you have control over (your OTA signal). Taking Orby to task for that doesn't seem fair.

It sounds like he just needs a much better OTA antenna system, doesn't it? Also, I don't think he realizes he could watch one channel directly from the tv set's tuner, while recording on the Orby dvr's tuner.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Also, I don't think he realizes he could watch one channel directly from the tv set's tuner, while recording on the Orby dvr's tuner.
Given the standard Orby install, that may not be as easy as it sounds. Orby presumably takes over your OTA downlead so unless you're running a separate lead or antenna, you'll have to make extraordinary efforts to get OTA signal to your TV's tuner.

I'm not sure where the two-OTA rumor started. I suspect that it was wishful thinking or assuming that other brand's OTA DVR's features were shared by the Orby receivers.

So is it like a series 3 Tivo or not? Is a 2 tuner can record 2 OTA or 2 cable at once or 1 of each, so technically has 4 tuners 2 for each, but can only record (show) 2 at a time.

So is it like a series 3 Tivo or not? Is a 2 tuner can record 2 OTA or 2 cable at once or 1 of each, so technically has 4 tuners 2 for each, but can only record (show) 2 at a time.
AFAIK, the Orby DVR and Orby receiver both have exactly one OTA tuner. The receiver has one satellite tuner and the DVR has two satellite tuners. I don't recall seeing any Orby claims otherwise.

That's not good while you really don't need more than 2 for OTA, (not that many channels) but since the major networks are there need at least the 2. Will be long time before network shows reran in summer or maybe never, most cable ones reran later that night all thru week and usually in the time slot before new episode next week.

That's not good while you really don't need more than 2 for OTA, (not that many channels) but since the major networks are there need at least the 2.
You can buy more than one receiver if that's a serious problem.

One of the big constraints with recording OTA is that without fancy transcoding from MPEG2 to HEVC, it gobbles up perhaps three times the storage space.
Will be long time before network shows reran in summer or maybe never, most cable ones reran later that night all thru week and usually in the time slot before new episode next week.
The repeats for many big-four shows started this week.

The "cable ones" appear on the satellite side where the DVR can do two at a time. A Series 3 TiVo can't record programming off satellite at all.

Nobody should labor under the illusion that the Orby DVR is somehow a direct competitor with a TiVo. It does things a TiVo cannot do in an environment where a TiVo may not be able to function. If someone convinced themselves that they were getting a cheaper alternative to an OTA TiVo, that's their fault.

The Wayback Machine may have older versions of the Orby website archived for those who are thoroughly convinced that Orby claimed that two OTA channels could be used at once. Link or lie.

You can buy more than one receiver if that's a serious problem.

One of the big constraints with recording OTA is that without fancy transcoding from MPEG2 to HEVC, it gobbles up perhaps three times the storage space.The repeats for many big-four shows started this week.

The "cable ones" appear on the satellite side where the DVR can do two at a time. A Series 3 TiVo can't record programming off satellite at all.

Nobody should labor under the illusion that the Orby DVR is somehow a direct competitor with a TiVo. It does things a TiVo cannot do in an environment where a TiVo may not be able to function. If someone convinced themselves that they were getting a cheaper alternative to an OTA TiVo, that's their fault.

The Wayback Machine may have older versions of the Orby website archived for those who are thoroughly convinced that Orby claimed that two OTA channels could be used at once. Link or lie.
Wasn't speaking for myself I have several Series 3's I would use one or more of those for OTA if I get Orby,, is just design fail I was addressing, and of course not all episodes of network shows get reran in summer, some entire shows not at all especially non renewed ones. I don't know what to say to S3's don't do satellite haven't seen any posts saying they did.

Wasn't speaking for myself I have several Series 3's I would use one or more of those for OTA if I get Orby,, is just design fail I was addressing, and of course not all episodes of network shows get reran in summer, some entire shows not at all especially non renewed ones.
It isn't so much a design fail as a business decision to keep the hardware affordable. If you already have TiVo gear, it is surely a non-issue unless the cost of subscriptions is eating you alive.

AFAIK, the Orby DVR and Orby receiver both have exactly one OTA tuner. The receiver has one satellite tuner and the DVR has two satellite tuners. I don't recall seeing any Orby claims otherwise.

First post! Thanks to all of you for your interest in Orby TV.

The Orby TV DVR does have the ability to record two programs at the same time. Those two programs can be any combination of satellite or OTA ( 2 satellite, 2 OTA or 1 of each ).

:welcome OrbyTV-ITK to SatelliteGuys! Great to have a representative from Orby TV join our discussions. Thank you for your time and we look forward to your participation!

So I assume that the DVR model has two tuners, each capable of tuning either DVBS2 or ATSC? Could a subscriber record two services while watching one of these channels or while viewing a previously recorded program?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts