FSSN are there more broadcasts like this one?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

walrus1957

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 24, 2008
40 miles west of Omaha
I am watching Figthing Sioux Hockey currently on Galaxy 17. UND is beating up on the Denver Pioneers. Is anyone else watching this game? This is a great broadcast for hockey, and wondering if anyone knows if other Universities are doing similiar broadcasts?

depends on what you mean

are there other college hockey teams that have their games possibly on satellite? yes
are there other college hockey teams that have the same info for each game? Other than Alaska Anchorage that is on C-Band no

the FSSN is unique as its designed for the cable companies in ND/SD & MN to show the games. Its a joint venture between Ralph Englested Arena, the Sioux and WDAZ (ABC in Grand Forks). All mens home hockey games are on here.

Most college hockey games we have to find as the networks that show them rent space as need be. WDAZ books it in September for the year

The reason I ask, I found other games (football and voleyball) on anolog Cband using my DSR920, but never documented the sat and transponder data. Was curious if most are like you say, just put up hit and miss, or if there were any joint University/local station venturte that you can count on for the broadcasts.

Sounds like this is a unique channel and the only KU band of this type. All the other University sports broadcast I ever found before were on Cband.

the only other example is Montana Grizzly football...this year they were on the same satellite and except for maybe 2 games they used the same transponder. This was due to all the games being televised by KPAX (CBS) and the Montana TV Network (some games were on CW but those are run by KPAX)

All the rest are usually just a "reserve transponder space" and show the game. Remember, in most cases we are not the intended audience.

Getting back to the Sioux example, there are different setups for this channel on cable
-in Grand Forks, the channel has Sioux related announcements when no games are on
-in Fargo, its shared with a shopping channel
-some markets its on a "public access" type channel
-some its on a specific channel. So when there is no game the folks see "NO SIGNAL" on the screen :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts