FTA Dish and RV'ing is it feasible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tlfry

Original poster
Jan 26, 2007
I am planning on getting a FTA set up and have a question. I plan on using this while travling in my RV. I see lots of people have the small dishes for direct tv or what ever on a tripod by their RV. Would it be possible to do a FTA dish this way, and would the motor be able to be used. Or would this be to difficult to set up. I will be staying at each site for at least a month so it is not like I would be setting it up every day.
Your thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of people take their Direct or Dish satellite systems with them when RVing.
Once you get the hang of setting them up, you could probably roll into a new place after dark, and be on the bird and watching TV in 10 minutes.

I'd say it might take you half an hour with fixed (one bird) FTA.
Setting up a motor might be a several-hour job.
And you'd want to do those in the day time.
...and that'd be after a number of successful test-runs...
I'm sure others will chime in with more or less pessimistic opinions. :)

For a temporary stand, you could use any of the old tried and tested ideas:
tripod, 5 gallon bucket of cement, big low-slung umbrella stand (metal disc), something home-made you could add weight to by adding water, or one of the stands you lay cement blocks on to stabilize it...
I always wondered about using a basket ball hoop/stand - do you fill them with water or sand...?

To be practical and not ridiculous , I'd guess a 30" dish might be adequate.
May as well invest in a top-end LNB (if only because it doesn't cost too much more).
As for the motor, maybe others will make a good case for one, but it seems like a lot of trouble.
Guess it depends on what you want to watch.
Other opinions welcome.

I will suggest a much more optimistic opinion....

Fixed dish is the easiest, but if you are staying for a longer stay, a motorized dish can be reinstalled in less than an hour. We often demo motorized systems at events and usually can have the dish set-up and tracking in less than 20 minutes.

I take a stationary FTA system in the RV and with the right tools, set-up is done in less than 10 minutes.

What do I take?

1. A computer with satfinder loaded or a preprinted sheet of my planned stops, so I can look up my compass heading, dish elevation setting and LNBF rotation.

2. A siting compass / inclinometer

3. Collapsible AV Speaker Stand for dish mounting.

4. Camping 5 gallon water transport / dispenser bag for ballast

5. Dual RG6, 75' Coax Cable

6. Small DC powered TV ($25 at mega stores)

How can it be done in 10 minutes or less?

1. Preload the receiver with the satellite and channels that you want before you hit the road. An additional satellite and channels should be also loaded as a back-up in case trees or other objects block the line of sight to your preferred satellite.

2. Before checking-in, check your aiming coordinates for the compass heading and see if there is a site that has a good chance of obtaining a clear line of site to your satellite of choice. (I usually do a quick drive through and reference my truck compass or GPS mapping and make note of several sites.)

3. I have an AV speaker stand that I found at another dealers site and have taken a spirit bubble level from the GEOSATpro 90cm Universal mounting kit and inserted into the top of the speaker stand post. The post is quickly leveled. Next I drop a 3/4 full, 5 gallon water bag on the leg spreaders to provide a stable base.

4. Set the dish onto the post and set the LNBF rotation, Elevation angle and rough into the compass heading.

5. Pull the coiled coax from the storage area (already connected to the satellite receiver inside) and connect the prelabled cable #1 to the LNBF and cable #2 to my mini TV.

6. Turn on the satellite receiver and place it on the strongest channel for the satellite. Activate the signal meter. Grab a refreshing ice tea .......

7. Turn on the mini TV and sweep Left / Right about 10 degrees on either side of the compass reading. If no Signal Quality reading, increase or decrease in one degree increments and sweep that same 20 degree area. You should have a lock within a minute or two. Peak the Signal Quality reading and if desired, re-enter the RV and grab a sandwich then place the receiver on the weakest channel. Is the signal Quality reading still good? Great! tighten the wing-nuts on the elevation and post clamps, grab your mini TV and finish the sandwich watching TV! Your done!

OR skip steps 3 - 7 and buy a MotoSat motorized dish (designed for mobile internet).

I have one of the Winegard motorized dishes on the roof of mine. While not big enough for FTA, there are larger units you can get from Europe, I've seen some 85cm ones before.

Couple months back I saw some real vintage RV sat gear, an Airstream with a roof mounted crank up C band dish around 6 feet. :eek: :up

Wow the MotoSat looks like a nice set up. Looks like it only comes with small dishes for subscription TV. Wonder if they sell it with out the dish for a more reasonable cost.
I was looking at the Winegard, it seems much more affordable.
I was also thinking of making something of my own. I am quite handy at that type of stuff but was wondering if it would be cost effective.
That is not bad if you can set up a stationary in 10 minutes.
Not really sure what bird or birds I want to point at yet. I know I like the idea of hunting wild feeds just to see what is there.
Thanks for the input.

I have the Motosat 74cm on my 5th wheel for satellite internet via Hughesnet (Direcway). I have been a full time RVer for 2 1/2 years, using the Motosat for internet from 117° linear and the accessory 119°/110° circular lnbfs for Dish Network. I am satisfied with the setup, but mounting on the roof limits your choices of parking spots to those without nearby trees/poles/buildings, etc. that block your view of the sky. An FTA setup on the roof of an RV would complicate it even further since you need a full southern sky rather that just a place to peek through.

I have seen RVers with a tripod mounted Sadoun motorized system that can be placed on the ground away from the RV where a clear view can be obtained. As others have stated, getting the full arc once you have a plumb pole isn't that hard.

NO, I have no connection with Sadoun, but if he wants to reward me for giving his products a plug, I won't object!

If you mark all your angles and just put them back to the same mark each time,once you get your mount plumb,you should be in buissiness.
In europe they have dishes made of plexiglass or somthing which they set up outside their trailer door.
Reinhold.

Upside down dish

Here's a link to a page that I've had bookmarked for a long time.
It's by an RV'r and describes his solution. By the size of the dish I'm sure he has a sub., but might adapt well to a linear sized dish.

RV dish setup

Good Luck,
Whipskinny

Very good suggestions by SatelliteAv.

It is very feasable to add an FTA system to your RV or mobile home.

Here are a few pictures of our setup at the Columbus OHIO Asian Festival a couple of years ago. We demonstrated a motorized setup and our Dish Network International programming (we are an authorized Dish Network and DirecTV dealer).

If you are in Columbus during the memorial day weekend, I invite you to stop by the Asian Festival at Franklin park. Lots of Asian food, Culural Activities, and merchant booths.

More pictures here

Attachments

• IMG_2126.JPG
    IMG_2126.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 433
  • Tripod_dish.JPG
    Tripod_dish.JPG
    202 KB · Views: 488
  • AsianFestival%20003.jpg
    AsianFestival%20003.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 443
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts