FTA in place of SkyAngel-same equipment?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

designer

Original poster
Feb 6, 2005
NC
Hi I'm new to the forum. We have DirecTV as our normal sat TV but I have Sky Angel in my bedroom through a Dish Network dish and reciever. It is time to renew the SkyAngel(yearly) and I'm thinking of switching to FTA. I only watch 2 of the SkyAngel channels, TVU & Spirit both music videos and I pay Dish network $10 a month to get RAI, an Italian channel. So I'm paying about $230 a year for 3 channels. I feel stupid. :p So I thought about going to FTA.

I'd like to get Chuck Harder's show, we can't get him on the radio anymore here. Could I get FTA with the dish and receiver I'm using for the SkyAngel? I think it's a 500 dish and the box just says DV3 on the front. Are there instructions anywhere on how to point the dish and setup the reciever for FTA? Thanks.

Hello, welcome to SatelliteGuys.US!
The system you have right now will not work for the Chuck Harder show on AMC-4, you will need a new KU DVB system. You can use the small dish for some free to air channels, see below. With a motorized system you can point the dish at any satellite (you can see) and there is even a KU/DBS LNBF coming out in march so with one dish and LNBF you will be able to get both KU and DBS satellite (FTA Dish/ FTA KU Chuck Harder).
http://www.newabilitiestv.org/pages/1/index.htm

FTA channels with small (18") dish
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=25452

PSB said:
... and there is even a KU/DBS LNBF coming out in march so with one dish and LNBF you will be able to get both KU and DBS satellite (FTA Dish/ FTA KU Chuck Harder).

When you say "KU", you mean linear LNB. And when you say DBS, you mean circular LNB, am I right ?

I believe Lyngsat lists TvU and Spirit as in the clear on C band only. FTA has JCTV which plays a lot of Christian music videos. i noticed that Fortec has a 6ft C-band dish for about $250 total (on Ebay). Not sure how good the 6 foot dish is nor do I know what additional equipment would be needed. Others in this forum may be able to assist, but it seems resonable that a 6 ft dish could do the trick if you want TvU and Spirit.

KU/DBS LNBF coming out in march

PSB,
Where can I find more information about this dual lnb? Any idea on price?

$230 can get you a some FTA equipment you will need.

I would start with a receiver and play around with the 18" dish and LNBF you have now. Do a search for my postings and you will see what I have done. I like the music and CBC radio from 91W. A signal meter and compus will also help.

designer said:
Hi I'm new to the forum. We have DirecTV as our normal sat TV but I have Sky Angel in my bedroom through a Dish Network dish and reciever. It is time to renew the SkyAngel(yearly) and I'm thinking of switching to FTA. I only watch 2 of the SkyAngel channels, TVU & Spirit both music videos and I pay Dish network $10 a month to get RAI, an Italian channel. So I'm paying about $230 a year for 3 channels. I feel stupid. :p So I thought about going to FTA.

I'd like to get Chuck Harder's show, we can't get him on the radio anymore here. Could I get FTA with the dish and receiver I'm using for the SkyAngel? I think it's a 500 dish and the box just says DV3 on the front. Are there instructions anywhere on how to point the dish and setup the reciever for FTA? Thanks.

OK, trying to get a grasp on how this works. So if my goal is to watch TVU (C band) and Chuck Harder (KU) what would the best approach be? I looked up some recievers and one I looked at say it would manage multible dishes. (fortec star lifetime ultra) so could it be accomplised by connecting a 6ft and an 18" dish to the same reciever? or would that dual lnb mentioned get both with one dish? If so would that dish need to be motorized?
Thanks,

rjc3895 said:
I believe Lyngsat lists TvU and Spirit as in the clear on C band only. FTA has JCTV which plays a lot of Christian music videos. i noticed that Fortec has a 6ft C-band dish for about $250 total (on Ebay). Not sure how good the 6 foot dish is nor do I know what additional equipment would be needed. Others in this forum may be able to assist, but it seems resonable that a 6 ft dish could do the trick if you want TvU and Spirit.

Sorry designer. I was talking about the 18" dish to help get you started with FTA. The 18" dish works the best for the DTV/Dish Network/Bell sats. I feel it is best to craw before you walk. I know people are looking for the fastest way to do things BUT I find this is not the best way to started. Digital signals are harder then the analog ones when it comes to pointing a dish so I like to use the Dish Network/Bell sats to get people use to pointing dishs. AMC4 will most likely need a 30 + " dish to receive in your area.

designer said:
OK, trying to get a grasp on how this works. So if my goal is to watch TVU (C band) and Chuck Harder (KU) what would the best approach be? I looked up some receivers and one I looked at say it would manage multiple dishes. (fortec star lifetime ultra) so could it be accomplished by connecting a 6ft and an 18" dish to the same receiver? or would that dual lnb mentioned get both with one dish? If so would that dish need to be motorized?
Thanks,

Thanks for all the info. I have pointed a dish once. We switched from Dish to DirecTV so I was left with a dish and receiver to play with. With a compass and lots of research I set it up for a SkyAngel subscription. I will not attempt the big move before reading a whole lot more. This gives me time to save up for the new toys.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)