FTA Install Service

Status
Please reply by conversation.

keebles

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
IL
If this against any rules please tell me I havent been here for over a year.
In 2008 I bought a Fta receiver (Viewsat Ultra Lite(new & authentic)(came with everything in the bo:mad:including a 4 in 1 DISEqC Switch). I also bought a 36inch Direct TV Dish which came with an Eagle Aspen KU Feed Horn, and a Eagle Aspen DTV32+ Feed Horn (new). As well as a SPITFIRE Feed Horn (new)+ a satellite signal finder(new). I have yet to get it installed and receive any channels. I have been trying for 2 years to get it to work (lol had my older brother sit on the roof and hold the dish with the signal finder in order to try to set it up).
I am looking for someone who knows what they are doing with FTA satellite dish installs. I live in the US. In the state of IL and the zip code is 60004. I am trying to get Galaxy 17 at 91.0°W. I am willing to pay $50 dollars to get my FTA Dish installed and running. I will also give the installer a brand new 19inch satellite dish and what ever feed horns that are left over. As well as a Iphone mini (not an official iphone)(http://img.donanimhaber.com/images/haber/iphonemini_1_dh_Fx57.jpg) plus a Deluo bluetooth gps keychain adapter(Deluo Bluetooth Keychain GPS w/Live Search for Window Mobile (DE-32-030-17) Category: GPS Devices: Electronics at Bizrate.) for Windows Mobile and BlackBerry phones.

Last edited:
Some of the installers on their want me purchase a (questionable) box from them that they say they have updated to work with current encryption. Their is also a bunch of direct tv installers that wont install anything but direct tv on their. The rest of them wanted close to $250 dollars to install. I was looking for aout $50-$80 for an install

Last edited:
help comes by asking:

With only ten posts, I have to ask: did you request help here on the forum?
We get one or more every week, asking something about how to align/install/peak/tweak a new dish.
Sorry to hear you and your brother wasted a year (oh, two! :eek: ) and got nothing.
Most folks who ask here, get something up 'n running within a week.
Maybe not what they want , but enough to encourage them to follow through and get their bird.

First suggestion would be to put it on a short pole in the back yard, so you don't have to go up on the roof.

With all new/untested equipment, it's possible a failure of any one piece, could prevent it all from working.
But, we could help you diagnose that.

Ya might have used the wrong coax.
Discussing it here would have eliminated that possibility.

I won't go on, but by engaging the FTA Department here, you can get tons of support and feedback.

And of course, if you still want to wash your hands of it, we'll let ya do that, too! - :rolleyes:

I posted on here a long time ago and found out what I needed to use in order to get it up and running. I also tried my box and feed horn on my neighbors direct tv and got the test channel working (unencrypted) . I just cant get any other satellites picked up.

I am trying to get Galaxy 17 at 91.0°W. I have tried all three feed horns that I have. I also build my own coax cable ( I only use good wire, not the cheap type like what use to come with vcrs( thats only good for a jump rope)

The transponders with numbers in the three and four thousands require one of the the big old c-band dishes. The free channels tend to have a big F in a square after them on lyngsat and are a light tan color. For example near the top "the cw east" is free but c-band. Near the bottom is "the long term care network" which is not c-band but it is encrypted/not free. So you are left with nothing but feeds which may or may not be there on your list from lyngsat.

I find the lists at ftalist the easiest for the newbie to read. FTAList.com - English Channel List

Why don't you aim for 97W, galaxy 19. The bulk of free channels are there.

There are many threads on here with advice on how to get started. Read a few. You'll quickly discover that having your dish setup near the ground, with a tv and receiver nearby is the magic ingredient to getting going.

Here are pictures of all my satellite stuff. Please tell me which parts I should use in order to get 97W, galaxy 19 since I am still new to this and haven't been able to to get anything yet.

36 inch dish( is this the right type of dish ?)
Imageshack - 36inchdirecttvdish.jpg - Uploaded by keebles21

Diseqc Switch
Imageshack - diseqcswitch.jpg - Uploaded by keebles21

Eagle Aspen Dtv32+
(compatible with Directv)
(Input 12.2-12.7GHz)
Imageshack - eagleaspendtv32.jpg - Uploaded by keebles21

Eagle Aspen (the end is not round)
(95 Ku Feed Horn Assembly with P170KU + Single Output LNB)
(Input Freq: 11.7-12.2GHz)
(output freq: 950-1450MHz)
Imageshack - eagleaspenside.jpg - Uploaded by keebles21

Spit Fire (model ASC321)
(RF: 11.70/12.20GHz)
(IF: 950/1450MHz)
(LO: 10.750Ghz)
(Gain: 55dB)
(Noise Figure:0.5dB)
Imageshack - spitfire.jpg - Uploaded by keebles21

Viewsat Ultra Lite
(updated to the latest Firmware/ bin)
Imageshack - viewsatultralite.jpg - Uploaded by keebles21

anyone? Im still new to this and basically need some one to instruct me on what to do.

If possible, bring the Receiver and Small TV to the Dish.

Double check that the Pole is Plumb.

In the Receivers Sat / Antenna setup Menu.....
LNB Type: Single or Standard
LNB Freq: 10750
Transponder: Pick one that's listed here: SatelliteGuys.US - 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku

Set the Dish Elevation to 40.5
Using a Compass, align to 196.6
Skew LNB 9.8 (clockwise when standing behind the Dish)

If the Quality indicator does not light up, try Blind Scanning, and list anything that comes in.

If possible, bring the Receiver and Small TV to the Dish.

Double check that the Pole is Plumb.

In the Receivers Sat / Antenna setup Menu.....
LNB Type: Single or Standard
LNB Freq: 10750
Transponder: Pick one that's listed here: SatelliteGuys.US - 97.0°W Galaxy 19 Ku

Set the Dish Elevation to 40.5
Using a Compass, align to 196.6
Skew LNB 9.8 (clockwise when standing behind the Dish)

If the Quality indicator does not light up, try Blind Scanning, and list anything that comes in.
im gonna go try that right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.