FTA KU Band Satellite info please!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rimichael

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2022
Hello, I am new to this site as well as FTYA Satellite tv. I just installed a KU Band dish and am looking for website info on the different satellite pointing instructions and channels. So far I search and don't get anything so I know I need to set my dish up but don't know who or where to point my dish as well as the different satellite options and their channels. Any and all help will be greatly apricated and thank you in advance. Oh maybe this is important I have a 39" dish with a duel lnb and my receiver is a amiko mini 4k.uhd s2x. Thanks again.....Michael

Hello, I am new to this site as well as FTYA Satellite tv. I just installed a KU Band dish and am looking for website info on the different satellite pointing instructions and channels. So far I search and don't get anything so I know I need to set my dish up but don't know who or where to point my dish as well as the different satellite options and their channels. Any and all help will be greatly apricated and thank you in advance. Oh maybe this is important I have a 39" dish with a duel lnb and my receiver is a amiko mini 4k.uhd s2x. Thanks again.....Michael

Just enter your info here and you can select any satellite and it will give you the aiming data you need. :)

Reactions: rimichael
Very cool ...thank you. Can I ask one more question before I go back up and down on my roof a hundred times? LOL! Where can I find the different programs that are shown on each of these satellites so I can make a choice of which one to use and thanks again you have been a ton of help!!

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!
You need to start by going to dishpointer.com and entering your exact address. Make sure you have a good shot to the southern sky, with no trees, buildings, etc blocking the signal path. The dish needs a clear view to the sky. Dish pointer will tell you the numbers to aim your dish. I would start by choosing 97W. If you purchased the receiver from me it will already have a transponder in for 97W Ku.
You need to choose that transponder, should be 12152 H 20000. Choose the LNB you have. Mine come set to standard which is a local oscillator of 10750. If your LNBF is universal, you will have to change that.
Using a compass your dish aimed close to the general direction per dishpointer. This includes setting the elevation on your dish and the skew on your LNBF(in it's holder). Then you can very slowly moving the dish east to west in the general direction. Watching that meter in the receiver. Making sure you have the above transponder selected. If no signal, raise/lower your elevation a tad and try and again. Keep doing this till you find the signal then you can fine tune, up/down, east/west till you have it zeroed in. Then you will do a blind scan to bring in the channels. This will give you a feel for it and how it is done. It will take patience! Once you get the hang of it and you can look at lynsat and find somthing you might like and moving your dish there, as long as you have a clear line of sight.

Ok I understand and got that ...so how do you find out what the tv programs or programming (channels/stations) that that satellite has? Is the websites for that?

Welcome!

Not sure of your location. Would be useful to allow at least the city, state, country to be displayed in your profile. :)

Here is a list of the satellites viewable in the central US (between 61w and 139w). Depending on your location, you may also have line of sight to the Atlantic and/or Pacific satellites.

The KU band transponders have 5 digits. The charts show the typical footprint for the transponder, service format and if encrypted or unencrypted.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry my location is pine ridge Florida 34465. But how do I find what channels (cbs,abc, lifetime etc..) are shown on each different satelitte?

Sorry forgot to insert the links above. Edited

The list shows the service (channel) on each transponder. You are likely to receive many of the national broadcast networks and subchannel services, but the subscription channels found on cable/satellite usually are encrypted.

Reactions: Chris537
Hi, sorry my location is pine ridge Florida 34465. But how do I find what channels (cbs,abc, lifetime etc..) are shown on each different satelitte?
Once you know what part of the sky (arc) you can see go here - North & South America - LyngSat - and click on each sat you have a view of. The ones with 4 digits are C band and you need a much larger dish for those. The 5 digit frequencies are KU band so your setup can see those. Now, the ones you can receive are the ones that are colored in green (HD) and yellow (SD). :)

Thank you guys for all the help. I need to do a little research on the different satellites facing south since I have restricted views otherwise plus I need to look to see what's on each satellite since I'm a little too old (63) to be climbing up and down the roof top LOL! Thanks again for all the help and info to get me up and going. Have a great weekend and stay safe1

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thank you guys for all the help. I need to do a little research on the different satellites facing south since I have restricted views otherwise plus I need to look to see what's on each satellite since I'm a little too old (63) to be climbing up and down the roof top LOL! Thanks again for all the help and info to get me up and going. Have a great weekend and stay safe1
Glad our dishes are on the ground. Heights and me are not friends! :rolleyes Good luck and have a great weekend too! :)

Ok, IF your dish is on the roof as you say, and your receiver and tv set are inside your house, you will likely NEVER get it aimed properly. Don't even consider to have your wife watch and yell out to you, that doesn't work, lol, TRUST ME.

I seriously suggest that you drag a LONG extension cord up to the roof, along with your receiver and a small tv set. Then hook it all up right there with a short coax, get it aimed and working THAT way.

It can be so difficult to aim a ku dish especially, because we are talking movements the width of a pencil lead, and because the signal is digital, you have to wait at least a few seconds with every movement until the receiver has a chance to lock on and decode.

I highly recommend TVROSAT.com
for accurate listings of the content on each given satellite location. I use it all the time and find it to be more up to date than LYNGSAT.

Important. What dual lnbf do you have?
Just like Primestar31 suggests. Take your receiver with you and a screen with you. Make sure your lnbf settings are spot on.
Heck. I've aimed a webcam at my TV and Skyped myself before on a phone or tablet to see signal strength when aiming dishes when it's a pita to haul it all outside. It work's!
Look at the most recent FTA channels for the satellite you want to aim at on TVRO.
On the right side of the the list on the satellite transponder and channel listing look for one with as high a percentage as you can find. Click on North America. It will take you to a page with a footprint for signal you can expect to find for your dish size.

Dishpointer will get you ball parked of where to aim your dish. Take the displayed elevations and azimuth with a grain of salt.
You will find you need to make little sweeps right and left looking for a signal.
Elevation settings will need to be made in minuscule parts of a degree until you finally snag a signal.
You'll find when you tighten the hardware that you need to make tiny adjustments to keep your signal the strongest.

We've all been there. Patience. And good luck.

According the dispointer.com (a very useful site mentioned in an earlier post by KE4EST), from your location the limits on what is above the horizon are about 5W to 143W. That assumes, of course, that there are no local obstructions blocking your line of sight. Also the satellites do not all have their beams directed at North America and some of them might not be strong enough to receive from your location. For that information, check out satbeams.com

lyngsat.com is the site where I go to the most to find which satellites have content that I am interested in.

When you are ready, getting a 10' C-Band dish will greatly increase your FTA viewing options.

EDIT: If you are putting your dish on the roof, you might want to invest in a dish motor so that you don't have to go up on the roof every time you want to try a different satellite.

Last edited:
Reactions: FTA4PA
Ok, IF your dish is on the roof as you say, and your receiver and tv set are inside your house, you will likely NEVER get it aimed properly. Don't even consider to have your wife watch and yell out to you, that doesn't work, lol, TRUST ME.

I seriously suggest that you drag a LONG extension cord up to the roof, along with your receiver and a small tv set. Then hook it all up right there with a short coax, get it aimed and working THAT way.

It can be so difficult to aim a ku dish especially, because we are talking movements the width of a pencil lead, and because the signal is digital, you have to wait at least a few seconds with every movement until the receiver has a chance to lock on and decode.
Hi Mike, Based on your suggestion I bought a Digital Satellite Finder Meter DVB-S2/S2X 3.5'' LCD GTMedia V8 Satellite Finder off of ebay and It should have been here yesterday! Leave it to eBay to get a package on time! LOL! It seems like a life saver in my case and will update you on my progress. Thanks for the suggestion and info....Mike

According the dispointer.com (a very useful site mentioned in an earlier post by KE4EST), from your location the limits on what is above the horizon are about 5W to 143W. That assumes, of course, that there are no local obstructions blocking your line of sight. Also the satellites do not all have their beams directed at North America and some of them might not be strong enough to receive from your location. For that information, check out satbeams.com

lyngsat.com is the site where I go to the most to find which satellites have content that I am interested in.

When you are ready, getting a 10' C-Band dish will greatly increase your FTA viewing options.

EDIT: If you are putting your dish on the roof, you might want to invest in a dish motor so that you don't have to go up on the roof every time you want to try a different satellite.
Thank you for the info, it will come in handy. I am already trying to find an affordable c-band dish for me to use but they are very expensive and shipping cost almost as much as the dish as far as I can tell. Do you know any c band dish sellers that don't want an arm and a leg for a set-up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts