FTA/Ku USALS on a Motorolla/G.I. 922??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jugghedd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 5, 2013
Schoharie, NY USA
I recently got some equipment given to me from a generous guy who doesnt really have time for the hobby anymore. Among the parts was a General Instruments (Motorolla) DSR922 (4DTV) receiver. I did a bit of reading and tried everything I could to see if I could use it for anything. I did determine that the battery IS in fact dead. I did try pointing it to 123W and wait for programming updates as I read somewhere. No luck at all. I did try every setting possible. Changed the offset, etc.

With my existing setup, I have a 3 foot dish with a Ku LNBF and an X-2 receiver. SG2100 motor using usals positioning. All working well.

My question is, is there anything I can use the 922 for as far as free to air? Can I use it in another room as a spare receiver? I cant seem to get it to get any signal at all. Even after parking on a good known SAT and switching cables over, NADA. I'm pretty sure Im trying to do the impossible. But, it seems doable from what I read. Or are these boxes really JUST for subscription services?

Please note that I am NOT looking to receive paid services for free or anything of that nature. The decoding/descrambling parts of the box interest me the least. Unless I need to understand them to get the rest working.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I think it might be used to position a BUD.
But I'm not sure it'd do a very good job.
Otherwise, I believe you have a nice doorstop.

Good to know. Glad I didnt try spending too many hours on that one. I considered doing the battery replacement. But, not if its not going to be useful afterward.

You have to replace the battery to get it to do anything again.Once done it can be used as a dish mover,get some of the in the clear DCII channels (certain audio services and others) and of course the few analog channels that are still up there.You of course wouldn't be able to get subscription channels anymore and most likely,would have to use Mapmaster to remap the digital channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts