FTA N00b BUYING SYSTEM! HELP ME...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Beachbum

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
PBCH, FL
OK, a couple of hours ago I stumbled upon FTA, I have been living under a rock! I want FTA, but how?
I see lots of systems on eBay that im compelled to buy, I know for a fact these aren't the most advanced but for a n00b they sound perfect for a starter like me. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32848&item=5755221488&rd=1 Would something like that get me started and make me happy?

I understand that they take time and patience to set up, but what should I need to know to get this thing set up, I have a box of RG-6 quad to run. How exactly do I aim the satellite? Is it hard?

On to the channels, I was looking on the LyngSat website and I saw that G4TTV was FTA? AM I RITE? Or am I crazy? Can I receive G4TTV? among lots of other channels that I currency receive on cable were listed on here, weather I could pick them up on FTA I don't know? Enlighten me.

Cheers,
BB

:shocked :) :cool:

Hello Beachbum Welcome to the SatelliteGuys FTA MPEG-2 forum!

The Traxis system is a nice setup to get started (Great Picture), without a motor you will be limited to one satellite at a time. If you add a motor then you would be as well getting a receiver that has USALS it will make the set up a bit easier. If you have ever done a satellite system install its just slightly harder, but the guys here are quick to help if needed.

To Aim the dish you need to pick the satellite you want to view, make sure of course you can see the satellite from your location and have a clear line of sight to the satellite.

Then you would enter a live channels details into the satellite receiver, you will need to enter the Frequency, polarity and the symbol rate of the the desired channel.

Then while watching the TV screen move the dish (slowly) until you see Signal Quality in the antenna setup screen. We can give you all the angles needed for your location, but I would spend some more time reading the archives of this forum and make sure you get everything you need at the same time, first time. A compass is really a must have in this hobby.

What you need to watch for is there are two main kinds of FTA digital signals up their KU band (30" dish needed) and C-band (8-10' Big dish needed)

KU band has a five digit Frequency (11867)
C-band has a four digit Frequency (4550)

Have a look at this link its a guide to help you read the Lyngsat charts....

http://www.dmsiusa.com/charts.htm

Hopefully the other guys can further entice you, its a great hobby that just keeps giving : )

----------------------------------------------------

Most people here have the below type set-up...

75-90cm Dish * Standard KU LNBF

SG2100 Motor * Fortec Ultra or Pansat 2500 Receiver (Both USALS)

Welcome!
The system you posted is a great beginner system, but as PSB said, without a motor you will only have access to one satellite (unless you hand or "ghetto" move it). One feature I would recommend getting is a receiver with either "blind scan" or "smart scan". It scans for unknown frequencies. I had a receiver where you have to type everything in and after a month, I knew I needed a receiver with smart scan. Now I set it to a satellite and scan. Let the receiver do the work. It will scan all active frequencies and log the channels. Works real good if you are a sports or news fan :)

When you check out Lyngsat, the 4 digit ones are C-Band, so you need a big ol' dish for those ;) The 5 digit ones you can get with a 30-36" dish. I would get the largest dish you can get right away, as some channels are weak with a 30" dish, but a 36" would pick them up better :D

Good luck and have fun!

Ditto on the Blind Search/Power Scan feature. Also I didn't read that the receiver was USALS compatible, nor could I see any S-Video cable connection on the back for a better picture. If you don't get these options you will probably soon miss them more than any little extra cash. Same about a little bigger dish.

Well, I know the neighbors who left after the hurricane left their huge satellite dish behind, I guess i'll ask the owner if I can take it off his hands later on ;) .

But I still plan on starting out with a smaller dish (30''-36'') in one of the ultra cool FTA satellite packages! EBay all the way!
I'm quite the cable guy sadly, never set up a satellite though, and I do plan on doing this as a hobby if my brain doesn't explode!

Now about the satellites, so I can aim the satellite at lets say, AMC 10 135.0°....So that means I get all the channels listed on lyngsats FTA list? Or is it more complicated? And what about the numbers you were talking about, I didn't see any three digit or four digit numbers on the list :confused: .

Don't forget if you can find a 18" dish and LNBF from Dish Network/ Direct TV you can get some stuff from 82, 91, 110, and 119. Easier to find and point since the singal is stronger. use 11250 for LO and 20000 for SR.

Good luck.

Beachbum said:
Well, I know the neighbors who left after the hurricane left their huge satellite dish behind, I guess i'll ask the owner if I can take it off his hands later on ;) .

But I still plan on starting out with a smaller dish (30''-36'') in one of the ultra cool FTA satellite packages! EBay all the way!
I'm quite the cable guy sadly, never set up a satellite though, and I do plan on doing this as a hobby if my brain doesn't explode!

Now about the satellites, so I can aim the satellite at lets say, AMC 10 135.0°....So that means I get all the channels listed on lyngsats FTA list? Or is it more complicated? And what about the numbers you were talking about, I didn't see any three digit or four digit numbers on the list :confused: .

Beachbum said:

Be advised that AMC 10 is C Band only (4 digits in lefthand column) and thus requires a large 8 or 10 foot dish. It is also located @ 135 W. Longitude over the Pacific. If you are located East of the Mississippi it will appear fairly low in elevation. You need to give us your Zip or location to get the angles so you can do a site survey to see if you have an unobstructed view.
IF you can't see it, you can't receive it !

Yeah, I have been looking around, im catching on to this! Of course I don't want a big dish or anything, but I have been looking at all the channels and im really interested now, especially the radio programming and news programs...

I'm in northwest Florida right now. I did live on Pensacola Beach FL but hurricane ivan destroyed our home so im a little more inland temporarily while the house is being rebuilt. 32561-32503 Zip codes.
I think I should buy this just for the soul purpose back up television after a hurricane or something.

The Bell sats at 91 W are intesting
http://www.lyngsat.com/nimiq1.html
A 18" DTV/Dish network dish and LNB is need.

Beachbum said:
Yeah, I have been looking around, im catching on to this! Of course I don't want a big dish or anything, but I have been looking at all the channels and im really interested now, especially the radio programming and news programs...

I'm in northwest Florida right now. I did live on Pensacola Beach FL but hurricane ivan destroyed our home so im a little more inland temporarily while the house is being rebuilt. 32561-32503 Zip codes.
I think I should buy this just for the soul purpose back up television after a hurricane or something.

The 31" dish will work, you need a DBS type LNB for that satellite. DBS satellites like Dish/Directv/Bell use circular polarized LNB. Some members have a DBS LNB attached (zip tie or bracket) to the side of their KU (linear) LNBF. There is a new LNBF coming out in the next few months that does circular and linear polarized signals, so we will see how that works out.

PSB said:
There is a new LNBF coming out in the next few months that does circular and linear polarized signals, so we will see how that works out.
That would be great! Let us know when they become available. Be nice if they were affordable too.

I am new to this too,but I can give you some good advice. Pay attention to what Iceberg said about the blind search and dont buy the cheapet one because after you get started,you will want a better one and will be stuck with a cheaper one. Pay a little extra now and save a lot later. Also buy it from a good dealer,as they will help you too to set it up too. Mine helped me and I had a 30 day return on it and had a good price on it.

john dusek said:
I am new to this too,but I can give you some good advice. Pay attention to what Iceberg said about the blind search and dont buy the cheapet one because after you get started,you will want a better one and will be stuck with a cheaper one. Pay a little extra now and save a lot later. Also buy it from a good dealer,as they will help you too to set it up too. Mine helped me and I had a 30 day return on it and had a good price on it.
I went big! I went ahead and got a FortecStar Lifetime Ultra. Thank goodness that was mentioned, I knew no matter how little of how often I use the thing I need to have blind search.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)