Status
Please reply by conversation.

styxfix

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 7, 2003
Pacific Coast
I was recently given a Coolsat 5000 platinum receiver from a friend. I'm thinking it was probably hacked but I have not powered it on. I'm hoping I can still use for FTA and maybe pointing to the 123 sat (G18). The biggest dish I have Phase 2 direct TV dish, but I'm not quite sure it's big enough or if the LNB is the right type. I already have an extra cable going to the roof when I was using legacy equipment with E* and I still have. Do I need anything else before I try to set this up properly?

You need a Linear LNB, Dish & Direct use Circular.
The dish may be a little small, 30"+ is recommended, but you can try the one you have.

Do you know if I have to do anything with the firmware on the 5000 or should I just try it out with the existing firmware and a new/used Linear LNB?

It didn't come with a serial cable so I'll have to try it out with the software that's on it.

Is there a particular linear LNB that might fit and replace the existing circular LNB for a Phase II dish? I don't want waste too much money or time on a dish that might not work anyways.

- at one time I found a place called SouthCoastFTA . com who carried a Coolsat-branded linear LNB like you have shown.
It was about $17 including shipping. Their site now only lists a circular, but you can follow up.

- Some time back, one of the members found a Megasat brand (?) which was physically the same.
There were some discussions which you can search for, and he wrote a review (see our Equipment Review section).

- Another member (Z3cCamero?) came up with a cute (and cheap) bracket system for holding cylindrical LNBs.
I adapted it slightly, and put a cylindrical LNB on a Phase III dish.
The thread has a lot of relevant info and ideas.
... and also suggests Whitesprings or KUIL as strong signals you might get on such a small dish.

- here is one of the least expensive LNBs at around $10 plus shipping.
It should get you going, I would think.
... AND, it can be moved to a larger dish, when you find one.

Thanks Anole.

KUIL might be of some interest to me. I wondering if I should try to track down an old superdish instead of the Phase II dish I was going to try. I also have a Phase III dish that I didn't think would work for anything, but your links prove to me otherwise. I think I'm willing to spend $10 plus shipping to try to experiment.

test driving FTA on a budget

Well, the Superdishes do already have one linear LNB included.
It's bandstacked, but that should be no problem for your receiver to handle - it's been discussed many times on the forum.
Also, the Superdish is larger, which will help a bunch.
If you can get one for free, go for it, but to get into FTA properly, I'd suggest a real 36" dish.
Of course, if a little dish and one or two channels gets you a taste, then so be it. :)

If you order that LNB, order two. You'll eventually want more to play with.
And get a 4x1 diseqc switch while you are at it. Make your shipping charges work for you.
Then, you can run your Phase II/III, your Superdish, and eventually a proper FTA dish, all aimed at different birds. - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)