FTA on the cheap

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

styxfix

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 7, 2003
Pacific Coast
I was recently given a Coolsat 5000 platinum receiver from a friend. I'm thinking it was probably hacked but I have not powered it on. I'm hoping I can still use for FTA and maybe pointing to the 123 sat (G18). The biggest dish I have Phase 2 direct TV dish, but I'm not quite sure it's big enough or if the LNB is the right type. I already have an extra cable going to the roof when I was using legacy equipment with E* and I still have. Do I need anything else before I try to set this up properly?

You need a Linear LNB, Dish & Direct use Circular.
The dish may be a little small, 30"+ is recommended, but you can try the one you have.

Do you know if I have to do anything with the firmware on the 5000 or should I just try it out with the existing firmware and a new/used Linear LNB?

It didn't come with a serial cable so I'll have to try it out with the software that's on it.

Is there a particular linear LNB that might fit and replace the existing circular LNB for a Phase II dish? I don't want waste too much money or time on a dish that might not work anyways.

- at one time I found a place called SouthCoastFTA . com who carried a Coolsat-branded linear LNB like you have shown.
It was about $17 including shipping. Their site now only lists a circular, but you can follow up.

- Some time back, one of the members found a Megasat brand (?) which was physically the same.
There were some discussions which you can search for, and he wrote a review (see our Equipment Review section).

- Another member (Z3cCamero?) came up with a cute (and cheap) bracket system for holding cylindrical LNBs.
I adapted it slightly, and put a cylindrical LNB on a Phase III dish.
The thread has a lot of relevant info and ideas.
... and also suggests Whitesprings or KUIL as strong signals you might get on such a small dish.

- here is one of the least expensive LNBs at around $10 plus shipping.
It should get you going, I would think.
... AND, it can be moved to a larger dish, when you find one.

Thanks Anole.

KUIL might be of some interest to me. I wondering if I should try to track down an old superdish instead of the Phase II dish I was going to try. I also have a Phase III dish that I didn't think would work for anything, but your links prove to me otherwise. I think I'm willing to spend $10 plus shipping to try to experiment.

test driving FTA on a budget

Well, the Superdishes do already have one linear LNB included.
It's bandstacked, but that should be no problem for your receiver to handle - it's been discussed many times on the forum.
Also, the Superdish is larger, which will help a bunch.
If you can get one for free, go for it, but to get into FTA properly, I'd suggest a real 36" dish.
Of course, if a little dish and one or two channels gets you a taste, then so be it. :)

If you order that LNB, order two. You'll eventually want more to play with.
And get a 4x1 diseqc switch while you are at it. Make your shipping charges work for you.
Then, you can run your Phase II/III, your Superdish, and eventually a proper FTA dish, all aimed at different birds. - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)