FTA plus OTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elburn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
Maine
With the FCC requiring everyone to go digital, and me already owning FTA equipment, is it possible for me to receive the new digital OTA stuff with my current FTA setup?

Antennas aside (I have the UHF/VHF antennas needed), I have a fortec star lifetime ultra with an input for the dish, as well as a regular antenna. Will this allow me to get the VHF/UHF digital channels?

Also, if I get an HDTV capable televison, with the new Fortec Passion coming out for HDTV FTA, will I be able to use it for HDTV OTA channels?

Thanks!

The Pansat 9000-HD will allow you to get standard definition as well as High Definition satellite as well as off-air terrestrial signals for connection to an HD monitor or TV, as well as outputting to a conventional standard definition TV.
Just tested one of these machines this week, and it gets high marks for having the convenience of being able to program the local digital signals in the same
menu as satellite. Once it has been properly programmed, it's seamless.
Should be available for general sale sometime between early and mid June,
depending upon status of Pansat's incoming main shipment.

I'm guessing your receiver only has a NTSC tuner...you need an ATSC tuner for digital ota reception. The Coolsat 8000 has a built in ATSC tuner which works good...at least better than the fta functions but thats for another thread.

just the facts, 'mam

With the FCC requiring everyone to go digital, and me already owning FTA equipment, is it possible for me to receive the new digital OTA stuff with my current FTA setup?
no
Antennas aside (I have the UHF/VHF antennas needed), I have a fortec star lifetime ultra with an input for the dish, as well as a regular antenna. Will this allow me to get the VHF/UHF digital channels?
no
Also, if I get an HDTV capable televison, with the new Fortec Passion coming out for HDTV FTA, will I be able to use it for HDTV OTA channels?
Here's a discussion of it with more info.

The antenna input on a FTA receiver is just for pass-through, the FTA boxes don't generally have OTA tuners of any kind (NTSC or ATSC) built in. An exception, as noted above, it the Coolsat 8000.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)