FTA RECEIVER AND OUTDOOR ANTENNA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kspilot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 8, 2010
KANSAS
I have an outdoor TV antenna to recieve my local stations,is there someway that the coax for the outdoor antenna attaches to the FTA receiver?
What im getting at,how do I have both the FTA reciever and my outdoor antenna hooked up to the same TV?:confused:

I have an outdoor TV antenna to recieve my local stations,is there someway that the coax for the outdoor antenna attaches to the FTA receiver?
What im getting at,how do I have both the FTA reciever and my outdoor antenna hooked up to the same TV?:confused:
Connect the OTA antenna to the ANT IN on the fta receiver and the TV OUT of the fta receiver to your TV. when the fta reciever is powered on, place the tv on analog channel 3 or 4 (set in the fta receiver menu) to watch the fta channels. Power off the fta receiver and the OTA signals will be passed through to the TV digital tuner.

Hope that this answers your question!

Brian,that takes care of the OTA but where would I plug the coax for the satellite dish now that the 2 coax input-output terminals on the reciever are used.
I haven't bought my reciever yet but leaning towards the Nano2 or ViewSonic Premier.
From looking at the backs of many of these recievers,I only see the 2 coax terminals,in and out,wouldn't there need to be 3 so that you could connect the Satellite coax too?
Thanks

Most SD receivers have 4 coax plugs
satellite in
loop out (to go to another reicever)
ant in (passthrough)
rf out

so the antenna (OTA) goes into the ANT in on the receiver. Satellite goes to SAT in/LNB in

HD receivers usually dont have RF out on them.

Hi Iceberg!
The 2 recievers im looking to buy are the Nano 2 or the Veiwsonic Premier which in both cases ONLY have 2 coax screw on male connector,1 for the satellite in and 1 for the satellite out to TV but NO coax connection for OTA.
The only reciever I see that has 4 coax connectors is the veiwsonic Elite and thats for 2 tuners.
I figured these two to be the big sellers in the FTA market from what I have read and can't beleive they will not accommodate an OTA.
I geuss I will hold off on my purchase until I find out what to do.
Thanks guys for the replys!!

Hi Iceberg!
The 2 recievers im looking to buy are the Nano 2 or the Veiwsonic Premier which in both cases ONLY have 2 coax screw on male connector,1 for the satellite in and 1 for the satellite out to TV but NO coax connection for OTA.
The only reciever I see that has 4 coax connectors is the veiwsonic Elite and thats for 2 tuners.!

I have never heard of Viewsonic. Do you mean Viewsat?

The nano2 has conflicting info. From a retailer they show no rf output but the specs say it does
CNX Official Homepage

RF Modulator
RF-Connector: 75 ohm F-Type
Frequency Range: VHF CH3, CH4
TV Standard: NTSC
Audio Output: Mono with Volume Control

Hi Iceberg!
The only reciever I see that has 4 coax connectors is the veiwsonic Elite and thats for 2 tuners.
I figured these two to be the big sellers in the FTA market from what I have read and can't beleive they will not accommodate an OTA.
I geuss I will hold off on my purchase until I find out what to do.
Thanks guys for the replys!!

I guess PREMIER should be a SONICVIEW receiver. Also I have a question: If you use a 3 X 4 switch I noticed there is input for ANT (OTA). If you use this port in the switch to connect your OTA them you can use the same coax cable going down for both OTA & FTA??? How will you connect both in the box since they both have diferent conectors (LNB In / Ant In)?? Regards

you have to use diplexers at the receivers

They look like a splitter but one output is satellite and one is OTA. They work on different bands :)

You use a diplexer at the receiver to separate the satellite signal from the terrestrial signal. I wouldn't recommend using the 3x4 and the diplexer as this will lose approx. 3db from both the satellite signal and the terrestrial signal!

answer will them be Yes I can use the same coax going down using a diplexers at the receiver?? Thanks for the update!!!

Even though the Switch FAQ doesn't recommend mixing OTA with multiswitches, the subject is covered pretty clearly (I would say that) - :rolleyes:
Read this post on multiswitches, and you should have a clear understanding of 2x4, 3x4, 4x4, 5x4, etc.

a 4x4 is for 2 dual LNB's to work with up to 4 receivers

the 1st number of the multiswitch has to be an odd number to have a OTA option
5x4
3x8
5x16
etc

I have an outdoor TV antenna to recieve my local stations,is there someway that the coax for the outdoor antenna attaches to the FTA receiver? What im getting at,how do I have both the FTA reciever and my outdoor antenna hooked up to the same TV?:confused:
Since OTA signals are now mostly digital, and many also in HD, your best bet would be one of cheap used HD Sat receivers with an extra OTA tuner. Some of these HD STB models also accept extra boards like DVB-S2 for more signal reception choices. As an example, you can get Sonicview 8000HD, and have both SD & HD Sat and OTA signals received. What is also interesting about this STB, it has a hidden ANT Out port that will pass through analog OTA signals to your TV set tuner, so you can handle two beasts - digital and analog OTA - by one coax. Look at Sonicview 8000 HD mods thread for more details. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)