FTA receiver turned off but sort of stays on?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bill190

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 10, 2007
I have a VBox II and if LNB power is removed, it turns "off" and displays "...".

Sometimes I will turn my Mercury II receiver off via the remote on/off button and the VBox will turn "off" indicating "...".

Other times I will turn the Mercury off and the VBox briefly displays "...", then comes back on again displaying the satellite position like "P12". (VBox stays on.)

The thing which turns off the VBox is removal of LNB power.

So sometimes I turn off the Mercury and it turns off completely removing LNB power. Other times it briefly removes LNB power, then powers up the LNB again.

I have noticed that the Mercury will turn off completely or not completely depending on which satellite the dish is left pointing at.

For example the LNB power stays on if the channel I was watching was on G10R_Ku. But if the channel I was watching was on Galaxy 25K_Ku, the LNB power goes off.

Another thing I have noticed, which might be related to this, is the local time display on the receiver. If I have had the Mercury totally powered off (switch on back), it does not know the local time. (I have it set to use GMT.)

If I turn the Mercury on and the dish is pointed at G10R_Ku, it does not grab the time off the satellite. If I am pointed at Galaxy 25K_Ku, it grabs the time off this satellite.

So perhaps the LNB is staying on and the receiver partially staying on so it can receive time or some other information from the satellite?

Anyone know why this is happening?

Not sure about the specifics of your situation but all the receivers I have seen have a standby mode.They appear to be on but they are sleeping.

btw 'sleeping' just means black screen and mute audio. I have yet to see an ird that accually save power in standby, some accually consumer MORE power in standby, figure that out eh. lol.

Every reciever I've seen still sends power to the lnb when turned off by the remote or button on the front of the IRD. If the switch on the back of the IRD is turned off, all power is turned off including to the lnb.

Every reciever I've seen still sends power to the lnb when turned off by the remote or button on the front of the IRD. If the switch on the back of the IRD is turned off, all power is turned off including to the lnb.

True, but interestingly enough, the LED on the SG-2100 motor only lights when the receiver is actually powered on, and not in standby. Since the receiver is powering the LNBF even when turned off with the remote or front panel, I wonder why the motor LED goes out...

I have the same / similar issue.. When I am on a lnb freq. of 10750 it will not turn off the LNB power, but if it is a lnb freq. of 11250 it will turn off, so before I turn off my receiver using a linear head I have to change the freq to 11250 to actually get it to turn off.

True, but interestingly enough, the LED on the SG-2100 motor only lights when the receiver is actually powered on, and not in standby. Since the receiver is powering the LNBF even when turned off with the remote or front panel, I wonder why the motor LED goes out...
I'm guessing it's a motor positioning command that happens during power up and power down. I never looked at the LED, but I'm 80% certain that the SG2100 still works when the receiver is turned off from the remote/panel (i.e. I've used the manual movement button on the motor)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)