FTA reception of BEV music channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jc17981

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 13, 2005
I've got a quick question that I am certain many of you are able to quickly answer. Out of curiosity, I purchased a new Fortec Star Lifetime Classic NA receiver (new) so I could listen to the FTA feed of WCPE (I find classical music is excellent background music when trying to write).

Since I have not yet purchased a dish to receive the AMC1 signal, I figured that I would tune in to some of the radio that is (was) reportedly FTA on the 91 Nimiq satellite with an 18" dish. However, the only radio station I appear to receive is Country 105 out of Calgary (good country station). However, my mouth was watering for some of the rock radio stations carried on the satellite, like OZ FM. I see these stations when I do a scan of the satellite, however, they come up as "scrambled." Is this what everyone else is seeing?

After joining several forums specializing in FTA information, I do not see anything about BEV scrambling their audio channels. However, I see lots of places I can download bin files, etc -- which makes me nervous, since they seem to be unsupported by the manufacturer. However, Fortec has their own set of software updates I see I can implement.

My questions to you are -- Aside from voiding the warranty, what are the risks of downloading these files? Will downloading these bin files help anything? If so, since I would be apparently receiving something without authorization, is this even legal? If legal, do I need to be cautious with where I receive these files from? If so, can any of you provide me with links of respectable websites?

Thank you for your help,
John

That's what I thought. How about the software updates on Fortec's website? Are they legit?

Yes, of course any update from the MFG. is ok. You have to be very careful here-they do not tolerate any "hack talk" at all! Some of the BEV audio channels were scrambled recently-you take what they give you. :)

Updates on Fortec's site = legal
Updates from non-manufacturer's sites = hacking

If you're interested in classical radio, you can also check out Echostar 7 at 119West, there are at least 3 classical stations on there FTA. Just make sure to have a circular LNB. On the upside, if this is all you want to start with, you might be able to salvage a "pizza pan" 18" Dish and the LNB from a junkyard or trash.

Iceberg said:
most of the ExpressVu audio channels are scrambled. This was recently done for some reason

That's what I wanted to know. Like I said, I bought this thing for WCPE anyway -- I just could not resist seeing what else was out there.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Yes, of course any update from the MFG. is ok. You have to be very careful here-they do not tolerate any "hack talk" at all! Some of the BEV audio channels were scrambled recently-you take what they give you. :)

No..no...please understand everyone...I am very much opposed to the illegal form of "hacking" in any form or fashion, and do not wish to do anything wrong. That's why I posted to "THIS" board, and not one of the other "FTA" boards. I knew you guys would give me a straight answer. I apologize to the moderators and users if this was in any way wrong, or perceived as "hack" talk.

However, for people new to the FTA topic (like myself), I think it is very important to have a forum such as this to turn to in order to get correct answers. After reading some of the other forums out there, it is very easy to be confused as to what is ok and not ok to do.

Thank you to everyone for the feedback.

DiscoLoveGrapes said:
Updates on Fortec's site = legal
Updates from non-manufacturer's sites = hacking

If you're interested in classical radio, you can also check out Echostar 7 at 119West, there are at least 3 classical stations on there FTA. Just make sure to have a circular LNB. On the upside, if this is all you want to start with, you might be able to salvage a "pizza pan" 18" Dish and the LNB from a junkyard or trash.

I'll have to try to see if there's anything there I don't already get (I am a DirecTV, Dish, XM, Sirius, and CATV subscriber...so I get just about every channel out there.

It's just that...I seem to have this fascination with OTA broadcasts. I like hearing the jocks, jingles, and commercials (I guess that's how I wound up working in the broadcasting industry--LOL).

Thanks.

jc17981 said:
I'll have to try to see if there's anything there I don't already get (I am a DirecTV, Dish, XM, Sirius, and CATV subscriber...so I get just about every channel out there.

It's just that...I seem to have this fascination with OTA broadcasts. I like hearing the jocks, jingles, and commercials (I guess that's how I wound up working in the broadcasting industry--LOL).

Thanks.

Ah, I totally understand that (I work in radio, and wish they'd all stop trying to sound like an IPod). Yes, the station on AMC1 is a real station with real announcers and all.

Have you checked out their audio stream on their site? It's in Vorbis, and it sounds wonderful for being only 55kbps.

voomvoom said:
There are a lot of audio channels on IA5. Do a scan, you might find something you like. Although most are of a foreign nature, some are in English.

Al
There is a bunch (about 40) of english language audio channels on IA5, 12053 v 22000, It is pretty much the same selection as you can find on 119. Ranges from classic to hard rock.

if you have an ac3 capable setup, all the dolby digital audio streams on 91w have never been encrypted. I sometimes listen to bpmtv, the screen is black, but the sound is nice.

if you have an ac3 capable setup, all the dolby digital audio streams on 91w have never been encrypted. I sometimes listen to bpmtv, the screen is black, but the sound is nice.
So, if you have a FTA receiver with AC3 pass-thru, you can listen to the audio of any channel on the service at 91W ?
(If so, that would allow one to listen to news channels not available on US services.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts