FTA Satellite Beacons

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
I've heard that FTA satellites have beacons on them, and was wondering if anyone knew about these beacons, and can they be used to identify which satellite you are pointed at. Would certainly make it easier when tuning a dish.

My 8dtek handheld satellite finder meter has a Constellation Option that is supposed to identify the satellite and its longitude based on the frequency which it is locked on. The only way it might be able to identify the satellite, I think, would be for it to use an internal TP list as a reference. But, TP lists are constantly changing.....

Maybe the more sophisticated satellite meters can identify a satellite?

I use an AI Turbo S2. It is frequently updated by the manufacturer, TP lists, firmware, etc. It IDs a satellite no problem.

Reactions: spongella
Satellite beacons are usually located near the edges of the authorized downlink frequencies. Typically it is a FM carrier and I remember listening to CW of the call sign ID back in the analog days using a scanner and the IRD loop out. I have brought these carriers up on a SDR and viewed the waveform, but haven't attempted to listen or extract data. The carrier is not a DVB standard, so the signals are not of much use for DVBS/S2 meters and receivers. I have used it to verify aiming on a dormant satellite or check cross pol with a spectrum analyzer if no other signals are being transmitted.

These carriers return station keeping data to the ground control. This article provides some overview information on the satellite beacons: http://www.uhf-satcom.com/misc/satellitebeacons/

Most satellite identification processes previously used a known and verified transponder's Network Identification Table to provide a positive ID. This table was not always accurate and could result in a false positive ID.

A few years ago a DVB project approved a new standard that has been adopted by all major satellite operators, DVB Carrier ID (DVB-CID). While the main effort of the standard is to identify every satellite transmission to minimize interference, this is a great benefit to satellite ID. I see this being integrated into every DVBS/S2 meter and STB to automatically identify each transponder and satellite. This DVB standard has the potential to revolutionize the installation process and in theory automate some of the aiming process.

See: https://www.dvb.org/resources/public/factsheets/dvb-cid_factsheet.pdf

Here is a list of beacon frequencies:

http://frequencyplansatellites.altervista.org/Beacon-Telemetry_Americas.html

Few satellites in this list have unique frequencies, so the beacons can't be used to definitively identify a particular satellite.

As Brian mentioned, a SDR is a great device for looking at the beacons. Some beacons are modulated with telemetry, others are an unmodulated carrier. They don't have a cw id. I think Brain is remembering the cw id that was required on a audio subcarrier of a analog video signal after the Captain Midnight incident. It identified the uplinker.

Thanks guys for the great leads. Will check out some of the sites and fire up the dongle-SDR. Will try finding the beacon on 40.5W W Ku and optimize the dish on the beacon's signal.

Last edited:
40.5W doesn't have a Ku beam pointed at the U.S. Although SES 6 was initially going to have a North American Ku beam, and footprint maps were published, they decided to pursue business opportunities in South America instead. Maybe try for 30W?

40.5W doesn't have a Ku beam pointed at the U.S. Although SES 6 was initially going to have a North American Ku beam, and footprint maps were published, they decided to pursue business opportunities in South America instead. Maybe try for 30W?

Just an FYI, I'm in the central part of Virginia and I can lock "some" stuff on 40w with my 10ft Winegard system listed in my signature, even though I use a linear LNBF. Bloomberg news comes to mind here and I've read where others here are able to lock that one as well.

Oops I meant C band......

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts