FTA Signal Strength

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Flinthill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 8, 2005
West Central Texas
I have a Pansat 3500 and a Fortec Star 32" dish on a rotor. The signal strength on the 3500 meter tells me I have a strength level of 92 and a quality level of 75, just for example. (strength actually varies from one channel to another).

If the cable between the antenna and the 3500 is no longer than about 25 ft. the picture quality is fine. When I move the receiver to inside the house with a 125 ft cable the signal drops off by approximately 1/3 and begins to drop channels.

The longer cable is new and it checks out fine for continuity. Could the problem be in the 3500?...Perhaps it is not able to support a long cable, or should I be looking someplace else.

Is there any type of "signal amplifier" that will work with an FTA receiver with a rotor. Also, as time goes on I want to use a DiSecq switch to combine this receiver with the c-band BUD, which has an even longer cable into the house.

weird....my 3500 has a bout a 120' run with no issues. Signals the same as if it was closer.

bad cable maybe?

I agree, snip the ends off the cable and replace, or try another cable run, in line amps cause more trouble than they are worth and your length of cable should be fine....

Also make sure there are no kinks or sharp bends in the coax are its RF energy running through the cables!

I have at least a 150' run to the 3500s and a few of the channels I get 45-50% quality, most of them though are 30% or less. I can't get 11719 on G10, but 11799 comes in good. I haven't had a chance to load a TV and the reciever into the back of my truck and drive it out to the dish to see what the signal and quality is right off the dish to rule out the cable, but I found that 25-30% gets me a decent picture without any pixalization or choppy sound.

I'm using over 200' with about 5% change when line is 6'. I am using quad shield Radio Shack cable with compression F connectors.

Like PSB said, the "ends" (F-connectors) have to be perfect for optimal results and they always give me trouble. That is usually the first thing I check when I have signal loss. Silicon also helps to keep the water out which can ruin cable in no time. Learned that the hard way. :no

G10 is a tough one but well worth the effort! :)

Whats the correct way to install the ends? Does all the shielding need to be removed from the inner insulator? I have all the wires pulled back, but left the foil attached to the inner insulator, but made sure that there was nothing but clean white showing between the shield and the center conductor. That foil is on there pretty good.

ooh EXCELLENT. I have been doing them right. Do you know if having a few exposed strands behind the connector would be an issue? I have one end where the strands were a little long.

Your center conductor should be exposed about 1/4 inch, then the foil dielectric exposed 1/4 inch behind that, then the shield pulled back against the jacket. I trim the shield back to about 1/4" when pulled back, so no loose shield wires stick out behind the connector. That can hurt your fingers when tightening the connector! :D

Also, with quad shield cable, keep the final shield (which is around the center dielectric) in place against the dielectric when you install the connector (do not pull it back).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)