FTA Start Up

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
What channels would I get in central Florida with FTA?

All depends on on much of the sky you can view from you location. Check the "The LIST" on this site to see what on each satellite.

How much $ for a basic set up?

Again it's all will depend on what your wanting to watch and that will determine what receiver and dish you'll need.
You could buy new or used equipment or even find part of what you need free.

What channels would I get in central Florida with FTA? How much $ for a basic set up?
This is a convenient list to view: Mike Kohl's List. You won't necessarily be able to receive every satellite on this, but you could probably receive most of them. $? As low as free (find somebody who doesn't want their equipment anymore) to $200 (buy new) to many hundreds or thousands of $. Like most things now, you can pick a budget and work to that.

:welcome to the site Cannonz......and yes it all depends like others have said as to really how much you want to spend. And the more the bug bites once you get started the more you end up spending.:D

Thanks guys was hoping could check out for 200 or so, could always upgrade later. I try to search here but sometimes never loads and spasms when it does. What size dish is needed?

What size dish is needed?
For me, an 80CM Dish is minimum, but buy as big as you can afford - don't forget a Motor.
Dish "technology" does not really change, but receivers are constantly evolving.

:welcome 90CM will do you well through the united states and check out the satllite guys ads section and you might find good used equipment and buy a motor to pick up more satellites for better viewing. you can pickup a HD FTA Box now for under $200.00

I started with a free DirecPC that my brother gave me but if you can find an old PrimeStar dish or an old HughsNet dish those also work for KU band Free To Air reception. I agree with others on dish size 80 or 90cm is really minimum size to start. Also, I would recommend a fixed dish to start - - - by this I mean pick a KU satellite that has stuff you would like and setup a fix dish on this satellite to begin. This does several things; it helps you get familiar with your receiver and also you learn about pointing a dish correctly.

As to receiver, I would read the review section here as many excellent reviews are listed. It might be important to point out that a blind scan receiver really helps you when you are new (many receivers offer blind scan) and a complex (many bells and whistles) receiver might not be best if you are brand new to Free To Air. Because of this, some folks start with a used Standard Definition receiver and then move up to a new one once they learn the basics.

Much help here - - - and many true experts (no me). Just ask.

Oh - - - Welcome to our forum - - - we hope you enjoy!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)