FTV to end SD signal, will be HD only

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jh98

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Just noticed this on FTV:

"FTV is now available on high definition at Galaxy 19, frequency 11.929MHz
More info at www.ftv.com/usa
FashionTV SD signal will end June 15.
Upgrade to FashionTV HD.

It also looks like it will be subscription only: "You will need to purchase HD receiver and decoder card, The Decoder card annually fee is 299$."

Well the babes do look better in HD.. :up:up thumbs up :up:up

$25 per month? Zoinks! Dish has it in a $10 per month add-on package. (At least now Dish won't look like they're out of their heads for putting a free channel in a premium package. I was really starting to wonder what was wrong there.)

Yeah, 25 buck/mo. for one HD channel? WHEW! They apparently think pretty highly of themselves.......lol. I get a bunch of (SD) DCII channels for that kind of dough.
I wonder what kind of CAS they will be using. XCrypt maybe, or it that defunct now? Venturing out on their on in the pay service world is pretty risky, with no proprietary control over the equipment, no inhouse SI department and considering the number of 'hungry' pirates that will be looking for somebody, er,......uh,.......... something to do.

eh we'll see if they leave

I remember CCTV saying they were going subscription only and the date kept getting pushed back and its still in the clear :)

Last edited:
I think when I first got into FTA (5-6 years ago?) FTV announced they were going subscription only, but didn't.

Then a couple of years ago, they actually did scramble for a few days. When there was apparently no demand for a pay FTV (I think they had announced $200/year) they went back in the clear.

So I wouldn't be surprised if the HD doesn't stay in the clear. But those of us without HD will probably be out of luck, they aren't likely to keep paying for both sat channels.

houston there is a problem

okay, so my wife has to have the FTV, and what do you think...I should buy an HD FTA if so, can you recommend...or should I not since it will go subscription? I know that it isn't certain...just want some ideas. my wife loves this channel. yikes

25 bucks a month for one channel? LMAO!! LOL
Ha ha ha.. good luck to them with that price...lol

I wouldn't pay that for the playboy channel...
much less that for ftv .

Dish Network now offers FTV in some premium HD package.

eh we'll see if they leave

I remember CCTV saying they were going subscription only and the date kept getting pushed back and its still in the clear :)

1/2 in the clear as it is, with the screen obscured by info about the coming of the [certain?] END!
Unfortunately with DN expanding their coverage, and in HD, the SD FTA feed is history, IMO. HD is moving in and SD is moving out. Times are a'changin'. It gives me the feeling that a selfish someone has the remote control and is pushing buttons really hard.

Hopefully something good with FTA will develop as time goes on. It's always been a struggle, and I'd hate watching this culture fade away. I thought of a slogan we could use: 'FTA: Unsubbed & Legal'. I should market that as a decal to stick on FTA dishes and bumpers, T-shirts. A dealer could use that to advantage; it says it all.

Hopefully the writing isn't on the wall. I fear the day RT (Russia Today) goes with encryption.

I really enjoy that channel.

Hopefully the writing isn't on the wall. I fear the day RT (Russia Today) goes with encryption.

I really enjoy that channel.

I think we're safe of Russia Today, in part because they want it to be a PR piece for the country.

As for FTV, I'll believe it when I see it, so to speak. I'm always a little impressed that some of these channels expect to make it by selling $10/mth for one channel. We've seen a few come and go with that plan over the years from Globecast.

Got Fashion-HD from Dish (added to absolute HD package).

The transponder that Russia Today is on (I think AJ is now on it too) has been a bit flaking for me, quality bounces around really bad. Other transponders are fine.

As for FTV, I'll believe it when I see it, so to speak. I'm always a little impressed that some of these channels expect to make it by selling $10/mth for one channel. We've seen a few come and go with that plan over the years from Globecast.

so true. Channels scramble then either see their error and go FTA or just go belly up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts