Full Screen Program Guide no longer an option - thanks Dish!

...I don't know, I just wish TV manufacturers would just use the proper terminology, instead. For example, watching 720p on a 1080p is not "dot for dot" just as watching 1080p/i on a 720p is not "dot for dot," even if overscan is disabled.

/geek rant

Dot for dot is correct terminology for how a 1080p TV displays the 1080i signal from a Dish receiver. If you want to see the full guide from Dish on a 1080p TV, the Dish receiver should be set to 1080i and the TV to dot for dot (or the brand's equivalent). What happens to any TV signal on the way to that point is irrelevant, but it is the correct setting to fully dislay Dish's menus.

...I've got mine set to 6 rows, banner off, & preference HD Only and w/ the video actually get 7 rows on the guide. ...
I also am seeing 7 full lines on my Pioneer Elite plasma. I suspect that the people seeing only five of six have a TV adjustment issue - either overscan or centering.

I don't see what is being changed when I enable or disable Banner. :confused:

I also am seeing 7 full lines on my Pioneer Elite plasma. I suspect that the people seeing only five of six have a TV adjustment issue - either overscan or centering.

I don't see what is being changed when I enable or disable Banner. :confused:

You probably use a personal favorites list.
I believe the banner only shows up in the "All Channels" list. Or what the new software now calls "My Channels" or "My Whatever" lol.

About half of my seventh line is cut off but I know it's my older DLP over-scanning it. Before "just scan" came along.

Dot for dot is correct terminology for how a 1080p TV displays the 1080i signal from a Dish receiver. If you want to see the full guide from Dish on a 1080p TV, the Dish receiver should be set to 1080i and the TV to dot for dot (or the brand's equivalent). What happens to any TV signal on the way to that point is irrelevant, but it is the correct setting to fully dislay Dish's menus.

True, but what if it's a 768p TV set to 720p/1080i?

... If you want to see the full guide from Dish on a 1080p TV, the Dish receiver should be set to 1080i and the TV to dot for dot (or the brand's equivalent). What happens to any TV signal on the way to that point is irrelevant, but it is the correct setting to fully dislay Dish's menus.
Not always. I have a 1080p 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro set and it displays all seven of the six lines in the Guide. Dot by dot causes no over scan - some small amount of over scan is desired by at least some of us so as to not display distracting artifacts.

Last edited:
Not always. I have a 1080p 60" Pioneer Elite Kuro set and it displays all seven of the six lines in the Guide. Dot by dot causes no over scan - some small amount of over scan is desired by at least some of us so as to not display distracting artifacts.

Yes, which brings us to the point that people tend to confuse dot-for-dot with overscan. Dot-for-dot will never have overscan, but just because something has no overscan doesn't necessarily mean it is dot-for-dot. I agree though, a small amount of overscan is desirable in most cases to get rid of "garbage."

Makes no difference. I have two, Samsungs. This is another thread getting TOTALLY redundant.

But it DOES make a difference. 720p on a 768p display will never be "dot-for-dot." Nor will 1080i on a 768p, or a 720p for that matter. In those cases, you shouldn't call turning off overscan as "dot-for-dot" but rather call it "turning overscan off."

But it DOES make a difference. 720p on a 768p display will never be "dot-for-dot." Nor will 1080i on a 768p, or a 720p for that matter. In those cases, you shouldn't call turning off overscan as "dot-for-dot" but rather call it "turning overscan off."
Dot by dot is only an option on a 1080i or 1080p display. If you input 720p on either of the 1080s set to dot by dot it will show a 16:9 rectangular picture in the center with bars on top and bottom and both sides.

Dot by dot is only an option on a 1080i or 1080p display. If you input 720p on either of the 1080s set to dot by dot it will show a 16:9 rectangular picture in the center with bars on top and bottom and both sides.

Well, with regards to HD television programming it is technically possible to perform "dot-by-dot" on a 720p set with a 720p input. Good point though, yeah 720p "dot-for-dot" will look like a smaller TV within the 1080p TV. It's basically only using 1280x720 pixels out of the 1920x1080 available. Basically it will shrink the entire screen by about 56%.

That brings up another thing. There are tons of "1080i" sets that are indeed actually 768p. In those cases "dot-for-dot" is not possible, at least with HD television. Computers can easily output 1360x768, though.

Well, with regards to HD television programming it is technically possible to perform "dot-by-dot" on a 720p set with a 720p input. Good point though, yeah 720p "dot-for-dot" will look like a smaller TV within the 1080p TV. It's basically only using 1280x720 pixels out of the 1920x1080 available. Basically it will shrink the entire screen by about 56%.

That brings up another thing. There are tons of "1080i" sets that are indeed actually 768p. In those cases "dot-for-dot" is not possible, at least with HD television. Computers can easily output 1360x768, though.

Curious I just switched the output of 722k from 1080 to 720 and it didn't go to black bars all the way round the picture.:confused:

True, but what if it's a 768p TV set to 720p/1080i?

The last 768 TV that I had, a Sony LCD, allowed you to move the overscan up and down and left to right. Made it possible to see the botom row of the guide. My post about dot for dot (or whatever your TV calls it) referred only to 1080 TVs.

The last 768 TV that I had, a Sony LCD, allowed you to move the overscan up and down and left to right. Made it possible to see the botom row of the guide. My post about dot for dot (or whatever your TV calls it) referred only to 1080 TVs.

Okay, beating a dead horse here, but 1:1 pixel mapping isn't only for 1080 TVs, but anyway, I'd just be repeating myself, so I won't.

Okay, beating a dead horse here, but 1:1 pixel mapping isn't only for 1080 TVs, but anyway, I'd just be repeating myself, so I won't.

No hassle intended. I believe you will find that dot by dot is only available on 1080i or 1080p sets. Can you list any 720p sets that have that option?

No hassle intended. I believe you will find that dot by dot is only available on 1080i or 1080p sets. Can you list any 720p sets that have that option?

Many 720p Westinghouse TVs have "dot by dot" mode in 720p. They just simply call it "standard" though. Overscan is called "fill."

Last edited:
Many 720p Westinghouse TVs have "dot by dot" mode in 720p. They just simply call it "standard" though. Overscan is called "fill."

that is an accurate depiction of the trerms used in many westinghouse sets. I have one as bedroom TV and that si exactly what Is ee.

Thanks for the reply. So if the input is either 1080i or 1080p what happens? Clearly not dot by dot.