Full Screen Program Guide no longer an option - thanks Dish!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This was all discussed several months ago when the pending menu change was announced. In that discussion, as in this one, everybody seemed to fall into two camps: those who always want to see a thumbnail of a program on screen, and those who never want to. Neither side convinced the other then, either.

FWIW, I'm firmly in the "never" camp myself. I find the the video (not to mention the accompanying audio) annoying and distracting, and it's a total waste of screen real estate that can be put to better use by displaying more channels at the same time.

With that logic, why not just have one row?

If it took me 5 scroll downs to get through my guide before, now it will take 9 or 10. It's not about "effort", it's about ergonomic design. I want to see guide info, so use the entire available screen to maximize that info display (like it used to do).

You want one row? You should have it just press the right blue arrow(Browse).:)

This was all discussed several months ago when the pending menu change was announced. In that discussion, as in this one, everybody seemed to fall into two camps: those who always want to see a thumbnail of a program on screen, and those who never want to. Neither side convinced the other then, either.

FWIW, I'm firmly in the "never" camp myself. I find the the video (not to mention the accompanying audio) annoying and distracting, and it's a total waste of screen real estate that can be put to better use by displaying more channels at the same time.

Well at this point looks like the other camp made the cut and yours didn't. To tell you the truth I've never looked at it w/o the video in the corner. I tend to think that E* decided that more ppl must use it that way. So they have decided to drop the full screen guide.

I never used the all guide no video setting.
But, I am also an "options" kind of guy. Seems crazy to bother to remove something people are already using.
More options is most always a good thing. :)

I've turned the pic in guide off a couple times when searching for something... but normal default for me is with pic. I'm in the I'd prefer to have the option camp... but never really used it enough to be upset about losing it. I do feel for the folks who used enhanced with no pic though... who knows, perhaps this move allows them put more time/work into building/fixing something else. Dish is by far the best hardware/service I've had...(I've not had Direct, not trying to start a war... lol) I trust them to move forward in the best interest of all...

It isn't just a question of do you want to see 7 lines or 10. The video-free guide provided safe haven for a sports fan who wanted to start a sporting event from the beginning without seeing the current score. This is a major downgrade in functionality. I am beyond irritated, particularly after just 2 weeks ago I signed up for "free" HD.

Well, if you have a DVR, you can just pause it... If not, can always switch channels... I do think it was dumb for DISH to remove that feature though...

It isn't just a question of do you want to see 7 lines or 10. The video-free guide provided safe haven for a sports fan who wanted to start a sporting event from the beginning without seeing the current score. This is a major downgrade in functionality. I am beyond irritated, particularly after just 2 weeks ago I signed up for "free" HD.

I don't understand your point. Either you're recording it, which means you should be starting it from the beginning in the DVR menu; or you're not recording, which means you already lost the start of the game.

Well, besides illogical logic, I think you all will live.

My 722 still has the option so I checked it out. Using the OP estimate of 60% of the screen being used for guide info, after going with no video you gain about another 20% guide info with the top 20% consisting of channel info on the left and program info on the right.

The DVR menu has the live picture as well. What I want is to start from the beginning without ever seeing a live picture. Even a single paused frame of Kyle Busch celebrating in victory lane will tell you a lot about how the race turned out.

Previously I could do it by going to the extended guide before my TV actually displayed a picture and selecting another channel. Then I could safely go to the event I wanted to watch and choose "Start over".

How is this a hard concept to understand?

The DVR menu has the live picture as well. What I want is to start from the beginning without ever seeing a live picture. Even a single paused frame of Kyle Busch celebrating in victory lane will tell you a lot about how the race turned out.

Previously I could do it by going to the extended guide before my TV actually displayed a picture and selecting another channel. Then I could safely go to the event I wanted to watch and choose "Start over".

It makes perfect sense, and if I recall correctly was the logic behind why Tivo opted to not show any video when in their "Now Playing" list.

Only once has this been a problem for me; my wife and I turned on the American Idol results show a few weeks ago and saw the bottom three before I quickly hit "Start Over". True, it's not the end of the world, but it does take away from the (contrived ;)) drama of the show, which is half the fun of watching.

I really hate to make my first post a gripe but I also feel the responsibility to express my feelings about the Dish decision to eliminate the full screen program guide. I like to scan my favorite channels well in advance in order to program shows I’d like to watch. This abbreviated guide format makes it more difficult and time consuming. Come on Dish, give us a choice! That said, I really enjoy my VIP 722. No problems after more than two years of use.
All of a sudden today, my 722K displayed a Program Guide Banner and it wouldn't shut off even when I set Preferences-ProgramGuide-Banner Off. Instead of the guide screen being 100% channel rows, I now have 60% channel rows (7 rows) plus a banner consisting of highlighted program info (top left) and video (top right).

I went through Tech Support and they were unable to fix it (after several reboots/check switch/etc). Finally I asked for a supervisor and he told me that a Banner-free guide option NO LONGER EXISTS with the latest software. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(and it might help if you told Level 1 support)

Too many too quick to not think outside the box .. outside their comfort zone.

I only mind the video when its commercials or just obnoxious stuff ... but I too like the option of turning it off at times ... and agree that there seems no logical reason for them to have removed the option.. its not like it was in the way or causing a real problem to keep around ... users that mix it up them selves would always need the help to fix it ...

and if dish had better/easier receiver support available to the general users "on line", they might get help on their own ... not everyone gets access to the Dish Tech Portal and can walk the receiver's menus interactively ... AND dish could certainly have added options to their "ONLINE" offerings allowing users to walk their personal receiver's menus ... if you can program it remotely for recording and can reboot the receiver remotely ... then how much further is it to read the menu settings from the receiver to display in a live interface? They have interactive menu's .. set the feature up once, and it could be used by the millions of users that are internet connected... invest 100k salary to reap lower call volumes, lower tech chat needs, and value add to the users.

This is what dish plans on making your tv look like with future software updates
3.jpg

I always have the guide with the preview, and I didn't want to see/hear scores when I started a recording that was still going. I got used to hitting the mute button and purposefully not looking at the upper right of the screen. I hope you find something that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)