Fun Fun what your 722 does while your sleeping.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
So going over connection logs on my firewall / routing platform PFSENSE I started noticing daily activity other then the normal phone home traffic from my 722. First thing I noticed is about once a week the box will "phone home" no direct url just an IP address belonging to Echostar. OK normal traffic. Then I noticed a daily 2 meg download ( 2 megs approx based on logs) from locals.fairsatillite.com - now I have no idea what this 2 megs worth the info is is it a file or what locals.fairsatellite.com is not running a webpage at that url. but www.fairsatillite.com is a Dish Network site dealing with a ABC local stations contract issues with Dish. Again not sure why the box is visiting but living in florida I know I have no interest in out west locals. I do have an ota hooked up so maybe extended guide information even though it supposely broadcast via the satellite ?

The other websites I seen deal with echostarviptv.com pretty plain and simple just updating it list of on demand titles. But there is a couple of different subdomains it hits.

But what is funny about this is that it just not doing it in the middle of the night but all the time. all echostar related sites but does pull a constant but small amount of traffic .

I would like to see if anyone else is watching what there receivers are doing just for a sheets and giggles type of thing.

Link is dead here...

I am getting ready to leave on business but if I find time too before I leave I will install the packet sniffing package on pfsense and have it monitor the mac address of the 722.

Then it will be a little more obvious what is going on I hope. Not that I am complaining about it just thought it was interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)