Funai to release Final Standard BD under $300

Thanks for the review. I might end up buying a second player much sooner than I anticipated. I'm likely to spring for the extra bucks now and avoid remote problems. You've saved me some trouble and disappointment.

Thanks for the review. I might end up buying a second player much sooner than I anticipated. I'm likely to spring for the extra bucks now and avoid remote problems. You've saved me some trouble and disappointment.

I think Ill recommend it to some family for Christmas if something better is not out(in the same price range)

Hmmm...
AVS has less facts and more mindless arguing and fanboyism.
After reading Satelliteguys for 3 years.
Interesting point of view...

Thanks for your answers.

Diogen.
IF you had read my post, I said I had frequented the dish network portion of Us satellite guys for the most part. I didn't even know that there was a Blu-ray forum here. As far as the other forums go, yes the worst site for fanboyism is Blu-ray.com. But for your information, this last two years on AVS has been almost unbearable with the endless format war bickering. So there you go. Is that a good enough response for you?

Ok, lets get back on Funai discussions. We all know BR.com is rampant with fanboys, I mean then arent bashful about it.

For general laid back, low volume discussion I prefer this forum.

With Chinese players potentially coming, we could see the Funai prices as well as others even lower next year.

Ok, lets get back on Funai discussions. We all know BR.com is rampant with fanboys, I mean then arent bashful about it.

For general laid back, low volume discussion I prefer this forum.

With Chinese players potentially coming, we could see the Funai prices as well as others even lower next year.
I really think that in order to achieve mass adoption the goal needs to be to hit the $99 dollar pricepoint. We won't see it this year, but hopefully we will in 2009. What brand name will these new Chinese manufactured players be under?

Last edited:
I expect sub $300 players this Xmas, sub $200 players Xmas 2009. Hard to picture Blu-ray prices going down faster than DVD player prices did.

Yeah, there's non reason I can think of. I'll have to rev up my thoughts on this. ;)

Can someone explain why all BD players have to decode the lossless codecs? Some of you don't even believe that there is a differance between a lossless and a lossey codec? There is a market out there for both type of players. I guess that means that you have to become a little bit more knowlegeable about the BD players and their individual capabilties. This might be a good thing and it also might be why a site like this one is so valuable. There are alot of folks who will point out the strengths and weaknesses of the newer players. For some those weaknesses are not a concern -- for others they may be.

Can someone explain why all BD players have to decode the lossless codecs?
Simple, because if the player doesn't decode it then 99% of the AVR's out there can't provide the user with the other half of the HD experience. THIS CAN'T BE OVER LOOKED!!!!!

Simple, because if the player doesn't decode it then 99% of the AVR's out there can't provide the user with the other half of the HD experience. THIS CAN'T BE OVER LOOKED!!!!!
How dare you inject common sense into this :mad: Your post is INFLAMMATORY and should be reported so it can be moved!!!!!

Troublemaker.

You keep throwing out 99%. Please provide a link to the research that was conducted that proved that only 1% of Blu-Ray disk owners own audio recievers that decode hi res audio............................... more facts and less wild guesses skewed to your opinion please. The real number, albeit low relatively, is on the rise and will continue to rise.

WHo is going to the the buyer of the 300 dollar Funai???

The videophile? not
The average AV buyer?? Why would he when a $299 PS3 is sitting next to it?
Its great that the chinese are going to produce players but they are not going to have much success until they significantly beat the PS3 price.

You keep throwing out 99%. Please provide a link to the research that was conducted that proved that only 1% of Blu-Ray disk owners own audio recievers that decode hi res audio............................... more facts and less wild guesses skewed to your opinion please. The real number, albeit low relatively, is on the rise and will continue to rise.
I used the same source you used when making your statement "albeit low relatively".

I used the same source you used when making your statement "albeit low relatively".
I don't know an exact number, that's why I didn't throw one out. You used an exact number (implying facts) which you have used in more than one post. In my opinion it is ludicrous to assume only 1% of BD owners have a newer generation audio reciever.

Last edited:
I don't know an exact number, that's why I didn't throw one out. You used an exact number (implying facts) which you have used in more than one post. In my opinion it is ludicrous to assume only 1% of BD owners have a newer generation audio reciever.
With the PS3 being a huge percentage of BD sales and with the relative newness of these next generation audio receivers I think its ludicrous to think otherwise.

Since there is no true source for these percentages whether it is hardware or software sales comparisons, are you now calling for the banning of its use? If so a lot of the post here would go bye bye. So round and round we go right back to where we were, the same place you were when you said "albeit low relatively". If you want to nit pick around the edges of the point I’m making then help yourself, but the point still stands.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)