Future of 3 LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

wdmuir

Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Currently have a 3 LNB dish and receive about 10 HD channels. In anticipation of the launch of new satellites, will I loose my current HD channels if I do not upgrade to the slimline 5 LNB? I have some installation restrictions, and am not sure if the 5 LNB can be installed on my deck post where the current dish is located. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

You won't lose your current HD channels at this time. What you won't get are the new HD channels that are scheduled to launch in September. The current HD channels will eventually need a 5 LNB, but that won't happen until 2008 at the earliest.

You won't lose your current HD channels at this time. What you won't get are the new HD channels that are scheduled to launch in September. The current HD channels will eventually need a 5 LNB, but that won't happen until 2008 at the earliest.

I called DirecTV to order the 5 LNB dish and was told I do not need it. They said the 3 LNB will be able to get the new channels coming in September. When they upgrade my local market to HD local channels, she told me I should call at that time and order the 5 LNB dish.

What gives?

:welcome

You just got idiot CSR'd. Tell them to install the 5 LNB dish for free and throw in something else for having to call back a second time because of poorly informed and ill trained CSR. Yikes. All HD programming will need the 5 LNB dish in the future and all new HD will certainly need the 5 LNB. PERIOD. If you run into another case of a bad CSR, ask for retention and dont take no for an answer.

3lnb is only for the 101,110,119 satellites. All the new HD is on the 99 and 103 so the 5 lnb is the only Dish that can see those satellites.

Hi

I just had a Slimline installed last monday and I only have 3 feedhorns on the dishes front with a blank hole off to the side. Did the installer short me or was this intentionally not included because it's not currently needed?

Robin

Zero, Brewer4 is absolutely correct. You were given false information. Call and ask for customer retention. Explain that you would like to remain a customer, but can't receive the new HD channels with your current 3 LNB. Also, mention you were misinformed by a CSR assuring you were ok with the 3 LNB. Ask them what they can do to keep you as a customer. You should be able to negotiate a free 5 LNB, free installation, they may try to get you to pay for the $19.95 shipping/handling. Politely decline the $19.95 explaining you have been misinformed and inconvenienced and you feel they should waive the shipping/handling. Thats what I did, and they successfully installed my Slimline 5 LNB yesterday. Thay actually showed up on time and did a great job. If you currently have an OTA make sure the installer runs it directly into the back of the receiver. Apparently the new satelliteswill not allow the OTA to function ith a diplex. Good Luck. Stand your ground.

Hi

I just had a Slimline installed last monday and I only have 3 feedhorns on the dishes front with a blank hole off to the side. Did the installer short me or was this intentionally not included because it's not currently needed?

Robin

The plastic cover in the middle actually has three LNB feedhorns (99, 101, 103) inside.

The plastic cover in the middle actually has three LNB feedhorns (99, 101, 103) inside.

I understand that and I also now understand that i don't have the ka feedhorn for mpeg4 becuase I have no HD local channels in my area. I now understand that the 3 LNB's are all I'll need for the september flood of HD cable channels. I have no doubt that whatever happens down the road, DirectTv will be there to deal with it.

Robin

I understand that and I also now understand that i don't have the ka feedhorn for mpeg4 becuase I have no HD local channels in my area. I now understand that the 3 LNB's are all I'll need for the september flood of HD cable channels. I have no doubt that whatever happens down the road, DirectTv will be there to deal with it.

Robin

You missed my point. If it's a Slimline, it looks like it only has three, but really has 5 LNBs with 2 Ka feedhorns and one Ku feedhorn inside the cover in the center of the feedhorn assembly. The two covers to one side (the other side is empty) have Ku feedhorns for 110 and 119. 99 and 103 are Ka band and are currently used for locals, but Directv 10 will also use the 103 location for the new HD channels. Directv 11 (scheduled for December launch) will use 99. You will need the BBC modules for these.

The 3 LNB dishes are smaller but look similar to the slimline. They only receive Ku band from 101, 110 and 119.

Hi

Robin
Your good to go !! The one LNB does 3 Satellites .

You missed my point. If it's a Slimline, it looks like it only has three, but really has 5 LNBs with 2 Ka feedhorns and one Ku feedhorn inside the cover in the center of the feedhorn assembly. The two covers to one side (the other side is empty) have Ku feedhorns for 110 and 119. 99 and 103 are Ka band and are currently used for locals, but Directv 10 will also use the 103 location for the new HD channels. Directv 11 (scheduled for December launch) will use 99. You will need the BBC modules for these.

The 3 LNB dishes are smaller but look similar to the slimline. They only receive Ku band from 101, 110 and 119.

Got it! Thanks for explaining yourself. Even tho I've had my C-Band system for 22 years (and it's still active), the little pizza dish is completely new to me. It's the main reason for joining this forum,,, to get up to speed on my new HD system. The BBC modules were installed so it looks like i'm good to go for september.

Off topic but I'd like to say that after 22 years with C-Band and the 4DTV receiver, the DirectTv HR20 digital picture is quite the step down from what I'm use to. I expected that tho and I'm really not complaining cuz I mainly bought my HD DVR for HD content and that's where this system really shines. I'm looking ahead with my new system and it's only gonna get better. I think I made the move at the most perfect time. :hungry:

Robin

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)