Future of DBS television?

With streaming, there's still the inherent problem of Live broadcast TV. Sports, locals, etc. As for DVR - cloud based would be the way to go. Plex offers cloud storage, although all I need to do is leave my computer powered up at home and I can stream my downloaded movies on any decent internet connection now.

I am hoping that all of the locals that Dish or Direct have in their packages, will be included. It would nice to even have all of the sub channels in a market too. Right now there are no streaming rights for many of the locals. Right now I do not believer any of the streaming services offer even all of the main network stations in each market (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, CW), let alone ones like MYTV or ION.

Reactions: pattykay
Not to nitpick, but in technological evolution terms, 20 years is a lifetime. Look at computer enhancements over the last 20 years, AI, going from SD to 4K, etc.

That said, I just don't see the mass appeal of streaming yet, except for the youngest of the latest generation, which still doesn't have the buying power of the 25-49 age group. People who grew up on DVRs, DVDs, Blu-rays, being able to skip commercials in a few clicks I feel just aren't ready to make the full jump to streaming only. The biggest driving force to streaming or cord-cutting IMO is the outrageous price hikes of linear TV. I wouldn't call DBS an outdated technology as much as Linear TV using an outdated and unsustainable pricing model. If it weren't for Flex Pack and the semblance of ala carte and being able to pay 50% less than what I used to, I probably would have also made the jump from DBS and cable.

I don't that is true as I have read 35-50 million already stream some programming, like Netflix, Hulu, Prime.

I am hoping that all of the locals that Dish or Direct have in their packages, will be included. It would nice to even have all of the sub channels in a market too. Right now there are no streaming rights for many of the locals. Right now I do not believer any of the streaming services offer even all of the main network stations in each market (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, CW), let alone ones like MYTV or ION.
Exactly. I think I'm going research which channels I actually do watch that offer live streaming. Like NFL Network, the MSM Channels, etc. But the the next problem, how well do they stream and look on a TV vs a Computer monitor that they're designed for?

Exactly. I think I'm going research which channels I actually do watch that offer live streaming. Like NFL Network, the MSM Channels, etc. But the the next problem, how well do they stream and look on a TV vs a Computer monitor that they're designed for?
I have used every service available for Live OTT tv, and they do vary in PQ. The best ones surpass sat IMO, and the worst are slightly below sat.

And they arent designed for a computer monitor. These have apps (most of them) on the major streaming platforms (roku/fire tv/ect) and those apps were built with a tv viewing experience in mind.

Some of the channels are in HD and look as sharp as any HD channel. I have an Roku as well as Fire Stick and I like them both.

Reactions: HipKat
I don't that is true as I have read 35-50 million already stream some programming, like Netflix, Hulu, Prime.
Notice I said "streaming only"

I have Prime Video as it is included with other services we use (free shipping). I have watched/downloaded content from Prime, but there is not enough content for me to justify paying for just the streaming part of it. And I wouldn't use it at all if I couldn't use PlayOn to download for offline viewing, just like I can use a DVR to "download" for anytime viewing with linear TV.

Reactions: TheKrell and Tampa8
I am rapidly loosing interest in linear TV. I think I got spoiled over the many years that I took Netflix DVDs through the mail. Even now I buy TV series on DVD when the price is reasonable. If I really like a show, I want to see the very first episode and the rest of the series in proper order. Even the best DVRs tend to have problems with "record new episodes only" and "record only from the HD channel". I always found myself sorting through the guide on a daily basis trying to figure out what to record.
Like other members have mentioned, I encountered bugs with streaming and like EarDemon said, I know how to switch between apps and sign in and out but please "what happened to just turning on the TV'' ?
So, at this point I am just in a bit of a holding pattern watching my DVDs, old VHS movies and using the antenna and VCR when terribly bored. We will see if streaming improves or this ATSC 3.0 really brings any progress.

Reactions: dare2be
I think the future of satellite will have to bring people the best quality possible. Sure you can stream channels from the internet, but if you want the best picture, the most 4K and a signal that is the most reliable then satellite is for you.

For lesser known channels instead of putting them on satellite I would like to see them streamed but appear in the guide like they are coming in via satellite. The channel choices could be unlimited if they did this.

I want to see a satellite receiver with a 5G modem built in that can bring families streaming entertainment without the family worrying about bandwidth caps from their cable or internet providers. This would also make TV more interactive, see something on TV you want, click on the buy button and your order is soon on the way.

We need to see some REAL 4K channels soon. Everything done at ESPN is being shot in 4K, yet we have no way to see it. Discovery has been producing many of these shows and specials in 4K and again no way to see it. Satellite has the way to get it to peoples homes.

I would like to see a Hopper 4 that supports apps. While current Hoppers support "apps" the apps are stored as part of the main OS and has access to everything in the Hopper including security protocols and other things, which is why DISH never really opened the app field to anyone who wanted to make them. DISH needs to look at the world of Apple where apps are stored and run in their own containers and thus can not get viruses, malware which would effect the entire Hopper, or open up other security issues. This would allow anyone who wanted to make an app for the Hopper 4 able to with a walled garden type system that Apple users enjoy.

I want things to be, so that no matter what you want to watch on your TV, that is comes off of one device, that being the Hopper 4. No switching HDMI inputs. If you was DIRECTV Now... its on the Hopper 4 as an app. I would make it so that you had to have a minimum programming fee or equipment rental fee so that you can have a Hopper 4 even if you don't have DISH for your Satellite Service.

With a Hooper 4 and 5G DISH service you could easily plug the Hopper into your phone line and once again have landline service in your house, yet you can still take it with you when you are out of your house on your cell phone.

And when your out of the house be able to access everything from your hopper including apps on your phone, truely take the Hopper experience with you everywhere.

Looking at the equipment that is available from Both Satellite Providers, you got to admit the DIRECTV Hardware stinks. DISH could easily pull all of this off if they want to. The question for Charlie is DO YOU WANT TO?

The time to act is soon.

I will keep on watching and wanting. The future could be bright. :)

Streaming, especially Hulu and Prime Video, look as good or better than Dish, DirecTV, and especially Spectrum Cable. Original content on Netflix and Prime in UHD look particularly good. Yes, you need a lot of bandwidth to enjoy it. I think, if Dish wants to compete on quality, it needs to dump unwatched channels from its transponders instead of cramming in as many as possible, whether anyone watches them or not. Switching to HEVC will help a lot too.

I have used every service available for Live OTT tv, and they do vary in PQ. The best ones surpass sat IMO, and the worst are slightly below sat.

And they arent designed for a computer monitor. These have apps (most of them) on the major streaming platforms (roku/fire tv/ect) and those apps were built with a tv viewing experience in mind.
You're right. I was thinking more of embedded video in web pages. Like i said, I need to do some researching. Like, does MSNBC, for example have an app?

You're right. I was thinking more of embedded video in web pages. Like i said, I need to do some researching. Like, does MSNBC, for example have an app?
They do I believe, but with the OTT live services, one app has the selection of channels that they offer, most of which include MSNBC.
You would tune to it much like you would with dish (without channel numbers). Open the app (youtube tv, vue, sling, ect). Pull up the guide, and scroll to the channel you want to view. Thats pretty much it.

The stand alone apps for particular channels dont factor into it as far as we are discussing.

Reactions: HipKat
Streaming, especially Hulu and Prime Video, look as good or better than Dish, DirecTV, and especially Spectrum Cable. Original content on Netflix and Prime in UHD look particularly good. Yes, you need a lot of bandwidth to enjoy it. I think, if Dish wants to compete on quality, it needs to dump unwatched channels from its transponders instead of cramming in as many as possible, whether anyone watches them or not. Switching to HEVC will help a lot too.
Prime Video does look good. Even an old series, like The Sopranos that I've been watching, looks good on my TV

They do I believe, but with the OTT live services, one app has the selection of channels that they offer, most of which include MSNBC.
You would tune to it much like you would with dish (without channel numbers). Open the app (youtube tv, vue, sling, ect). Pull up the guide, and scroll to the channel you want to view. Thats pretty much it.

The stand alone apps for particular channels dont factor into it as far as we are discussing.
Thanks. This is one area I've been slow to delve into, but I really need to if I want to stay with and ahead of the curve

Thanks. This is one area I've been slow to delve into, but I really need to if I want to stay with and ahead of the curve
Just to give you some examples of the various guide layouts for some of the services

Youtube TV
yttv_03.png

Directv Now

jbareham_161129_1299_0017.0.0.jpeg

Hulu Live tv

maxresdefault.jpg

Tonight as I was perusing my rather vast library of DVR movies stored on my EHD, I pondered what the future of Dish Network might be.

To be completely honest, I love the service. I have a good package at a great price, the receiver is solid, the ability to use my own equipment is liberating.

I know the trend in TV is IP. But I still don't have access to reasonably priced broadband. I have cellular-based internet access with a data cap. So combining that with Dish works for me.

Even though streaming services are all the rage, we know that DBS is only about 20 years old. That's just a blip on the technology evolution radar. And even though it's still such a young technology, I feel like a lot of people in the industry (including those outside the industry like John Legere) have written off satellite TV (aka "linear TV") as outdated and obsolete.

What are your thoughts on the future of DBS satellite TV? Will it remain for years to come as a niche market for rural customers? Will LEOsats finally get launched to give us rural folk internet access so we can cut the cord?
I too like my dish service, love the Hopper 3, and the picture on my samsung Plasma, like everyone else I wish the price was lower but ..... We live juswt outside the city limits so internet service is very expensive, we use hotspot and bluetooth on our phones with the hopper forf u tube and an movie download once in a while. Hopefully there will always be enough subs for satellite but I think it will continue to dwindle. Hope I'm wrong

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Maybe so you can see them on a phone or tablet.
Right, so cater to the lowest common denominator instead of creating a dynamic interface based on resolution. Just another reason streaming isn't ready to compete with linear TV. Price is the only advantage at the moment.

Reactions: TheKrell