Future of diginets?

zeebre12

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 25, 2015
new york
What do you think will be the future of the diginets and broadcast TV in the future? Do you think they will last in the future, or what will become of broadcast TV? Will there be many more in years to come or are we at a point where this is the peak number of diginets?
Also do you think some will adapt like Bounce and Justice and have original programming to compete with cable/satellite channels?
Could some like Get TV launch as satellite channels to have a bigger audience?

I'm wondering what the future of OTA in general will be. The spectrum that OTA signals use is worth a lot of money. Our local PBS channel almost sold their spectrum for over $200 million dollars. The president of the university that owns the station decided not to sell after hosting a public forum where attendees overwhelming opposed the sale.

I doubt anything happens to OTA for at least 10 years. As for diginets. I think they have reached their limit. There just isn't enough slots available for many more without killing an HD feed.

ATSC 3.0 may change that in the coming decade.

Reactions: Blindowl1234
OTA audience is growing slightly as pay TV subscription drop at a higher rate. The teller will be what the FCC and the industry do with the ATSC-3 conversion. ATSC-3 as it stands now is much more efficient (can carry more video signals in the same bandwidth), but is completely incompatible with current ATSC sets. The problem now is that there is no longer additional bandwidth available for an NTSC/ATSC switchover transition since the elimination of channels 52-69.

I don't see anything happening for some years down the road to charge the future of OTA, other than ATSC-3. In small ways OTA appears to be growing and with decent sub channels it will continue to grow. Besides that those that can still afford cable are realizing they're sick of paying more and more each year for it. As for the university that has a PBS station....what university and its board members isn't going to say hey we'll sell it, and take the $200 million. I don't see that many stations selling out unless it's really advantageous for them to do it. If they're making money now why would they sell. I'm tickled to see the growth of OTA and subs in my area....64 channels and about to add Justice TV on Monday so count it 65 channels on Monday.

I don't see anything happening for some years down the road to charge the future of OTA, other than ATSC-3. In small ways OTA appears to be growing and with decent sub channels it will continue to grow. Besides that those that can still afford cable are realizing they're sick of paying more and more each year for it. As for the university that has a PBS station....what university and its board members isn't going to say hey we'll sell it, and take the $200 million. I don't see that many stations selling out unless it's really advantageous for them to do it. If they're making money now why would they sell. I'm tickled to see the growth of OTA and subs in my area....64 channels and about to add Justice TV on Monday so count it 65 channels on Monday.
Well Said, Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)