Future of DirecTV HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

woljr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Everyone needs to read todays top story on "tvpredictions.com" . The future of HD on D appears very dull. A technology lapse of large proportions.

My take on it is that once the NFL season ends, subscrubers will have more leverage in the campaign for national HD channels. I don't consider that doom-and-gloom.

"However, DIRECTV next year will switch to a new HD compression technology, called MPEG 4, which promises cleaner and more detailed images. Perhaps then, DIRECTV will be able to turn the issue around.

So, bottom line, DIRECTV has been hurt by the two revelations. But when it switches to MPEG 4 -- and adds a large number of national HD channels, as promised -- I suspect that all will be forgiven."

quote from the article, also why not post this in the other three threads pretty much talking about these articles, instead of just spreading it out and making more threads??

Last edited:
stuart628 said:
However, DIRECTV next year will switch to a new HD compression technology, called MPEG 4, which promises cleaner and more detailed images. Perhaps then, DIRECTV will be able to turn the issue around.

So, bottom line, DIRECTV has been hurt by the two revelations. But when it switches to MPEG 4 -- and adds a large number of national HD channels, as promised -- I suspect that all will be forgiven.

from the article, also why not post this in the other three threads pretty much talking about these articles??

MPEG-4 needs less space/bandwidth then MPEG-2 i believe

If DTV had the bandwith to add 300 HD channels tomorrow...what the heck would they add? Sure, E* has more HD channels...but how many are on par with HD Discovery and HD.Net? I am as irked as anyone I am missing out on what could have been for now. If DTV cannot fill the birds when things are available, I'll bolt.

landlocked said:
If DTV had the bandwith to add 300 HD channels tomorrow...what the heck would they add? Sure, E* has more HD channels...but how many are on par with HD Discovery and HD.Net? I am as irked as anyone I am missing out on what could have been for now. If DTV cannot fill the birds when things are available, I'll bolt.
Well you all complain about wanting god knows how many HD channels and complain because D* hasn't added the knitting channel in HD, my lands. Why do we need all the BS channels in HD ?

How many of those wonderfull HD channels on DISH, does anyone actually watch on a regular basis ?

There are not that many HD channels available if you take out the Locals and then RSN's

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
Well you all complain about wanting god knows how many HD channels and complain because D* hasn't added the knitting channel in HD, my lands. Why do we need all the BS channels in HD ?

How many of those wonderfull HD channels on DISH does anyone actually watch on a regular basis ?

There are not that many HD channels available if you take out the Locals and then RSN's

Jimbo

Just add all the available HD channels and let the viewer decide what they want to watch. I'll take any show in HD over its SD counterpart. D* will have to add all of them in order to be competitive.

r.jones1116 said:
Just add all the available HD channels and let the viewer decide what they want to watch. I'll take any show in HD over its SD counterpart. D* will have to add all of them in order to be competitive.
I'll take 5 full bit rate over 20 crap HD channels no one wants to watch.
I saw a list that someone wanted and I recognized 2 out of 15 they had listed.
I could care less about what the other provider has, no one says just because so and so has it means D* has to have it.
I want programming with real content on it, not stuff you would watch for 5 minutes and move on with.

Jimbo

I am in 100% agreement and have made the following point many times:

There are over 100 SD channels I receive (and have for MANY years) that I have NEVER watched and wouldnn't care if they removed them FOREVER. Why would I start watching ANY OF THEM just because they were now in HD? TRuth is I watch maybe 5-7 channels with any regularity (plus sports).

The my provider has MORE HD channels then yours in and of itself argument/point of view has ABSOLUTELY NO MERIT IMO. There is NOT ONE single moment for example that I wish I had the VOOM channels, or for that matter FOOD, HGTV, NGC. I don't watch them, I wouldn't want to pay for them, they NEVER have to get them to satisfy me.

Just keep adding HD sports and they have a happy camper here.

Well, yes, but the problem is we all want different channels.

I would choose the Voom channels (or any movie channel package) ten times quicker than sports channels.

My former co-worker (a 66 year old male) would choose food and home improvement channels.

THAT'S why we need a lot of channels--to get yours, mine, his, and everyone else's favorites. (And I realize there aren't that many HD channels out there now--I'm talking about the future.)

I keep reading the "I want these channels in HD threads" but I wonder how many of the networks are planning to even offer these channels in HD anytime soon? I wish every channel I currently receive was in HD even if I don't watch most of them....at least if I decided to pause on a particular channel when there is nothing worth watching anywhere I could make the decision to stop based on content and not the fact the SD quality absolutely sucks.

I could watch SciFi, Military, History and other similar channels at any time of the day...but when will these ever turn HD? I could care less if TVGuide or ANY shopping network are ever in HD.

stuart628 said:
"However, DIRECTV next year will switch to a new HD compression technology, called MPEG 4, which promises cleaner and more detailed images. Perhaps then, DIRECTV will be able to turn the issue around.

So, bottom line, DIRECTV has been hurt by the two revelations. But when it switches to MPEG 4 -- and adds a large number of national HD channels, as promised -- I suspect that all will be forgiven."

quote from the article, also why not post this in the other three threads pretty much talking about these articles, instead of just spreading it out and making more threads??

But go look at the DVR Forum...........MPEG4 DVR sucks

" But go look at the DVR Forum...........MPEG4 DVR sucks"

I wouldn't say that either; seems its only major knock is that it was released before the OTA "upgrade". How about listing exactly what YOU think makes it suck as opposed to telling people to just go look.

Well I am sick of waitin! I added E* to my line up today, so it looks like I have two service providers ... unless dish sucks still. I get installed Tuesday, Hello Giada in HD and NFL HD as well as others ... but I would still consider myself a D* loyalist as I plan to use E* to wait it out. HD is worth $50/mo as long as I get some.

slacker9876 said:
Well I am sick of waitin! I added E* to my line up today, so it looks like I have two service providers ... unless dish sucks still. I get installed Tuesday, Hello Giada in HD and NFL HD as well as others ... but I would still consider myself a D* loyalist as I plan to use E* to wait it out. HD is worth $50/mo as long as I get some.

Having both myself you will love DISH HD & even SD. If you get the VIP 622 DVR you will even like that. You will certainly be surprised. If you have premium service with D* you would be better served removing it and investing in the Platinum HD Package with E*. Good Luck and enjoy!

PS I'm more of a Slacker than you!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts