Future of XM channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

joedekock

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 12, 2005
West Michigan
I am a Ham Radio guy and this week I had an interesting conversation with a former XM Employee on the Han Radio airwaves. He will remain nameless to protect his identity even though the information he gave me was of his own opinion and not any true intel to what is happening at Sirius XM.

His take was that in the next year you will see all aspects of the XM channels put to rest. The name brand will remain Sirius XM and the content and marketing will shift to live sports, sports talk, and limited commercial music stations of different generes. What's interesting to him though is that some of the genera's will die like the 40's and 50's. I can attest as a heavy listener of the 40's on 4 channel that there is already a change in the programming that indicates it will be gone in the near future as they pipe in different channels like "High Standards" or different Jazz channels. He said they are doing the same thing with the 50's channel.

Anyway... it was an interesting conversation. My thought before talking to him is that he is right. Sirius could really do themselves a lot of favor by putting a strong focus on streaming over the internet as much content as possible like pandora instead of investing in satellites. It was a great thing 10 years ago before the portability of smartphones with internet access and broadband internet being standard in so many homes.

I know for me, I have one of my XM Roady 2's in the house we still use, but I can use the App on my droid for my vehicles and for the office I can use the internet stream. I cancelled 2 of the radio's we had in our vehicles earlier this year.

the problem is mobile broadband is nowhere near consistent enough to replace satellites. Satellites work anywhere and everywhere you can see the sky. mobile broadband is slow and non existent in many parts of the country. it will be years before reliable and complete coverage is provided. 4G LTE is not the answer either.

Another issue with mobile broadband is the lack of competition that is allowing the carriers to restrict data down to 2GB plans, then charge for more data as you go. I would not be comfortable relying on mobile streaming as a replacement for an actual radio.

HUGE mistake if they were thinking of concentrating on streaming. That's just nuts imho. Why would I need Sirius when there are hundreds of streaming options. Considering the bad economy, they aren't doing all that bad, subscribers were up, just not as much as "Analysts" expected. Just as I think Satellite is the way to go for TV, so do I for radio in the car or at home. Steaming does have it's place, but I really like having my favorite channels available in the car, and at home.
With more and more limits being put on streaming on phones, I'm not sure streaming everyday for any length of time is really a viable cost option.
In any event information from other sources (one online site dedicated to satellite radio) actually has them expanding services via satellite. I have no idea about specific channels such as 40's or 50's. I do know with the limited information about what gets listened to that gets out, the decades as whole are very popular.

I realize this is amvery specific example, but more of the people at my work have satellite radios than ever before.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts