Future use of the 921?

chiledog

Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
With the future upgrade to the MPEG4, I was wondering what are the future uses of a 921.

The obvious use is a SD receiver that also receives/records OTA HD channels.

Does anyone know if a deactivated or disconnected (ie, not paying the $10 a month fee(5 for extra receiver, 5 for PVR) can still receive OTA HD channels? Can it still record OTA HD channels?

If we can receive/record OTA HD channels, the 921 still has a lot of utility (and can be sold for a few $$).

Thanks

chiledog said:
With the future upgrade to the MPEG4, I was wondering what are the future uses of a 921.
The obvious use is a SD receiver that also receives/records OTA HD channels.
Does anyone know if a deactivated or disconnected (ie, not paying the $10 a month fee(5 for extra receiver, 5 for PVR) can still receive OTA HD channels? Can it still record OTA HD channels?
If we can receive/record OTA HD channels, the 921 still has a lot of utility (and can be sold for a few $$).
Thanks

It is my understanding that the receiver has to be authorized and activated for the OTA tuner to work.

Yes, an unactivated 921/942 can be used to record OTA but it must be connect to a dish receiving E* sat. You will have no giude info for your OTA channels.

I can confim this as well, I am using my 921 as a HD set top box for the time being. I have it conected to the dish, but it does not recieve any programming. I can pasue, rewind, forward, etc all of my OTA broadcasts.

npep said:
I can confim this as well, I am using my 921 as a HD set top box for the time being. I have it conected to the dish, but it does not recieve any programming. I can pasue, rewind, forward, etc all of my OTA broadcasts.

npep,

So you can record OTA with an un-authorized but connected 921 (without the guide). If so, that is good. While it is a pain to manually record shows, it is not impossible (we manually recorded OTA shows for many months on the 921 (before the OTA guide was implemented)).

Maybe my 921 will not become a boat anchor...

chiledog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)