FX to Split into Two Channels?

No TNT was always TNT. It stood for Turner Network Television.

TNN became Spike TV. However TNN is back on again as the Nashville Network in select areas via OTA.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes, but WTBS dropped the branding, it stayed alive through the cable channel. I see it as the Superstation went cable only. Such as when an FM station goes internet only. I got TBS in the early 80s in Massachusetts on Continental Cablevision.
no Timewarner sold channel 17 in atlanta..the new owners changed the calls to WPCH

Ah yes, spread the content from one channel over 2 channels...more room for infomercials! :( And now we have another channel that we can pay subscriber fees for. Yippee!

That is exactly what I thought. I can remember when all we had to watch was 3 network channels with all the different types of entertainment that there was out there. It was called VARIETY. Now we have to have an entire new network for each genre that there is, full of infomercials and old reruns from shows gone by. Another reason for them to charge more for their carriage and with it our bills go even higher, because they force bundled channels together. You want one channel ,but they make you take all the other channels too.

Holy COW!!! It really isn't that confusing. I need to check my score book, though.
1969 = Turner buys WRLJ TV 17 Atlanta. Station went on the air in 1967 and was nearly bankrupt when Turner bought it.
1970 = Turner changed call sign to WTCG (Turner Communications Group) Turner saw a niche and started distributing the station's programming to area cable systems stuggling to find channels to fill their line-up. In the mid 70s WTCG was distributed via terrestrial microwave network to regional cable systems.
1976 = WTCG TV 17 Atlanta went on satellite for cheaper and wider distribution. Shortly after, it began being called "Superstation WTCG"
1979 = WTCG Changed call letters to WTBS (Turner Broadcasting System). WTBS 17 Atlanta / Superstation WTBS was simulcast on satellite/cable systems.
1981 = WTBS 17 Atlanta and WTBS Superstation split into two separate feeds. Most of the programming on cable and channel 17 remained the same, but news and other local affairs programs were only on channel 17 not the cable channel (outside of the areas still getting 17 via microwave terrestrial distribution)
1988 = TNT (Turner Network Television) is launched as a unique cable-only channel to show programs acquired in the purchase of the MGM TV and theatrical film library.
1989 = Superstation WTBS became Superstation TBS
1991 = Superstation TBS becomes just TBS. WTBS 17 officially files with the FCC and be1comes the sole broadcast affiliate of TBS Cable within the decade (not sure of the timeline) reversing the primary channel from the broadcast channel broadcast to the cable channel. This only confirmed what was already a foregone conclusion.
1994 = TCM (Turner Classic Movies) launched to take advantage of the vast MGM library of films while freeing up TNT to move to more diverse programs. This coincided with TBS losing most of its movies and changing its focus to comedies.
2007 = WTBS 17 changed call letters to WPCH (NOT SOLD) and becomes a unique broadcast and regional cable channel. It is now programmed by Merideth Broadcasting, but still owned by Time-Warner.

Ah yes, spread the content from one channel over 2 channels...more room for infomercials! :( And now we have another channel that we can pay subscriber fees for. Yippee!

Seriously... Quality over quantity...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

It is all about advertising revenue, with two separate channels they can show twice as many commercials, even if they show nothing but garbage tv shows.

Just to note on Mochuf post, I find H2 has better programming than the History Channel does, but I agree who needs 4 hour blocks of American Pickers or Pawn Stars, but I guess people must watch
them, maybe not all at once but there must be viewers at some point during that 4 hour block, so long as the station gets advertising revenue they don't care.
Besides it's easier and cheaper to keep a TV Channel alive than it is to let it go dark and then start a new one from scratch later on.
Those are the most popular shows on that channel AND some of the most popular shows on all of cable.

Holy COW!!! It really isn't that confusing. I need to check my score book, though.
1969 = Turner buys WRLJ TV 17 Atlanta. Station went on the air in 1967 and was nearly bankrupt when Turner bought it.
1970 = Turner changed call sign to WTCG (Turner Communications Group) Turner saw a niche and started distributing the station's programming to area cable systems stuggling to find channels to fill their line-up. In the mid 70s WTCG was distributed via terrestrial microwave network to regional cable systems.
1976 = WTCG TV 17 Atlanta went on satellite for cheaper and wider distribution. Shortly after, it began being called "Superstation WTCG"
1979 = WTCG Changed call letters to WTBS (Turner Broadcasting System). WTBS 17 Atlanta / Superstation WTBS was simulcast on satellite/cable systems.
1981 = WTBS 17 Atlanta and WTBS Superstation split into two separate feeds. Most of the programming on cable and channel 17 remained the same, but news and other local affairs programs were only on channel 17 not the cable channel (outside of the areas still getting 17 via microwave terrestrial distribution)
1988 = TNT (Turner Network Television) is launched as a unique cable-only channel to show programs acquired in the purchase of the MGM TV and theatrical film library.
1989 = Superstation WTBS became Superstation TBS
1991 = Superstation TBS becomes just TBS. WTBS 17 officially files with the FCC and be1comes the sole broadcast affiliate of TBS Cable within the decade (not sure of the timeline) reversing the primary channel from the broadcast channel broadcast to the cable channel. This only confirmed what was already a foregone conclusion.
1994 = TCM (Turner Classic Movies) launched to take advantage of the vast MGM library of films while freeing up TNT to move to more diverse programs. This coincided with TBS losing most of its movies and changing its focus to comedies.
2007 = WTBS 17 changed call letters to WPCH (NOT SOLD) and becomes a unique broadcast and regional cable channel. It is now programmed by Merideth Broadcasting, but still owned by Time-Warner.

Don't forget that one of the main reasons that channel became more popular was (love it or hate it) professional wrestling. TBS was the only place for GCW/Jim Crockett (NWA)/WCW until AOL Time Warner dropped it. Not my cup of tea, but to not recognize it is like talking about the American Revolution and leaving out Benjamin Franklin.

So, what are the minimum America's Top whatever packages for each channel? Will any Dish customers who get FX "lose" the new channel assuming it takes FOX Sports Soccer's place tiering wise?

Which channel gets the FX college football package?

So, what are the minimum America's Top whatever packages for each channel? Will any Dish customers who get FX "lose" the new channel assuming it takes FOX Sports Soccer's place tiering wise?

None of this is official yet.

As I said earlier the Big 12 and Pac 12 football games will move to Fox Sports 1 which is currently Speed assuming Fox is able to make all these channel rebrandings happen.

Sent from my blazing fast galaxy s3 using SatelliteGuys

Am I the only who thinks Fox has too many channels to begin with? I really think this is a dumb move on their part if it's official. FX has gotten a lot more popular in the last few years thanks to their original shows. To change things and screw up people's viewings is just stupid. Murdoch has too much money already. Just shut down Fox Soccer and be done with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts