FYI: New Dish Network Package $9.99/mo.

My LNB is wide. I am sorry, I am trying to grasp the technical terms and am not getting it all the time, but I am trying.
Katybug

I was hoping my current Dish(Dish 500 dual LNB) would work and am wondering what kind of hook up fees and/or install fees I am looking at?
if you already have a D500 all you'd have to do is a repoint (move the dish to 110/119 from 61.5)...since you are technically a "new" Dish subscriber, you could get their deals but then you're locked in a contract. If you (or someone you know) can move the dish over to 110/119 then call them up, tell them you OWN the equipment and sign up...you go month to month. I did that a while back. Was with them for a few months then cancelled

I was wondering if an install is even necessary, maybe I could possibly even turn the dish myself? If anyone has this info, thanks for sharing.
sure you can. Its pretty easy. The dish will look almost 90 degrees to the west of 61.5 for 110/119

Also, anyone who now has the essential service package. Are you happy with the programming/selection? Am I understanding that people changing to this option are able to get the PI package? Would the PI channels at 110 and 119 both be able to be added to this package?
The PI pack is a package so whatever satellites you're aimed at, those channels come in.

One thing to note. I had to request the PI Pak to get it some time ago. At least some of those channels are on 61.5 like Pentagon Channel and some channels are on 110. Also 3ABN is at 61.5. So depending on which channels you want you might actually need a 3 position setup.

But you might be able to get the PI Pak added before you opt for any other programming. I'm not sure if they will add it for what is now a locals only account. But they added it when I was SA only so maybe.

If you got the Dish letter about the transition (not the SA letter) telling about various options for Dish Family and above you might consider that as Iceberg mentioned. If you want to stay on the cheap then your best bang for the buck is repoint to 119/ 110 and go with what I have. But if it came to paying for an installer to repoint and install a 2nd antenna you could wind up better off taking one of the Dish deals if they will include the service call and then downgrade after the commitment ends (assuming they still offer the Essentials then, which I likely).

I already have a fee free 508 DVR but if you don't mind a DVR fee I think one of the deals even includes a DVR even in the Dish Family tier.

So you do have some options. But for right now you could try adding the PI Pak immediately and see what happens. Should at least give you something else to watch anyway.

I called and had the Public Interest channels added to my existing Dish account. Between Angel 1, Angel 2, KTV and TBN I will have adequate Christian programming. I found that 1-888-773-2162 was more helpful in getting PI channels added than the phone number on Dish's website.

As I prepared for the demise of Sky Angel I reviewed my options and realized many of the channels listed in the Dish packages are public interest or free to all (shopping channels). I looked at the program schedules of the channels I would actually be purchasing in each package. I wanted to see how much I would watch on the channels I was actually paying for. I decided to stick with my current low-end Dish programming.

I discovered my favorite religious programs that were on Sky Angel satellite are also available for free on the internet. My basic $10 Bellsouth DSL plan is more than fast enough to download these as podcasts or view on the computer screen.

Before you buy anything you may want to see if the public interest and free channels will meet your needs. I would also suggest checking the schedules available on Dish Network and, depending on your internet speed, the individual religious program and channel websites. This way you can make your decision with as much information as possible.

I found that 1-888-773-2162 was more helpful in getting PI channels added than the phone number on Dish's website.

I think I just emailed from the website contact page. I'm really surprised they actually make you have ask for them.

But just having them available for free is their 1 redeeming factor for me. Especially with the Pentagon Channel included, which is really nice for the families of servicemen who can tend to be cash strapped with a loved one overseas. Good to see one nice thing for them!

So... if I am getting this straight :confused:....

Angel one
Angel two
And KTV

Are all Public Interest channels that can be gotten for free. But, the question is, do you have to subscribe to anything other than them to get them?

I am assuming the dish network box and the dish we used for sky angel would work just fine, since they are actually dish equipment.

The only channel I am really interested in out of the 3 is KTV for the kids, but even the programming on that channel has gone down hill since they switched to IPTV.... :(

So... if I am getting this straight :confused:....

Angel one
Angel two
And KTV

Are all Public Interest channels that can be gotten for free.
correct
But, the question is, do you have to subscribe to anything other than them to get them?
I think you have to subscribe to SOMETHING to get them

I am assuming the dish network box and the dish we used for sky angel would work just fine, since they are actually dish equipment.
yes

What the? :confused: I have my mother's until-the-bitter-end Sky Angel subscribed box connected up to my 61.5/110/119 setup. Angel2 and KTV are both red in the guide and cannot be viewed. (3ABN is still visible on 9710.) How is it some people can still get these channels without a subscription?

Ah... My mother never asked for the PI channels. Is that my problem?

Last edited:
Angel 2 and ktv are on the guide 2x. Depending on where the dish is pointed you will recieve either set, not both. Most likely you will get them at 9394 and 9395

did you check 9394 & 9395 (or that vicinity?)
No I didn't. I checked 264 and 266. Don't these point to the same frequencies? Hmmm. Can't check this on my AT250 box since no channels in the 9300's are listed. Is that strictly for ex Sky Angel sub'd boxes?

BTW - Just checked with my satellite tuner card and neither KTV nor Angel2 on 110 nor 3ABN on 61.5 are FTA as Angel 1 is on 119.

Last edited:
No I didn't. I checked 264 and 266. Don't these point to the same frequencies? Hmmm. Can't check this on my AT250 box since no channels in the 9300's are listed. Is that strictly for ex Sky Angel sub'd boxes?
the 9300 series is where some channels are that are normally in DishFamily. BYUTV, RFDTV and Colours are at 9397,98,99

BTW - Just checked with my satellite tuner card and neither KTV nor Angel2 on 110 nor 3ABN on 61.5 are FTA as Angel 1 is on 119.
sadly no. Wish they were :)

I have Dishpix (an old, discontinued ala carte programming package). Until I called and asked to have the public interest channels turned on only Angel 1, channel 262, worked. KTV and Angel 2 were both red on my onscreen guide. After SkyAngel bit the dust I moved my 61.5 dish so it could see the 110 satellite. I also have a dish aimed at 119.

Angel 1 was the first channel I ever received. I could watch it before I activated my account in 1997 or 98. To get the other channels will require a call to Dish. While you are on the phone you may want to ask for TBN. It is channel 260 and is also public interest. EWTN is at 261 and features Catholic programming. Good luck.

the 9300 series is where some channels are that are normally in DishFamily. BYUTV, RFDTV and Colours are at 9397,98,99
I tried my FTA PC setup again on 9394 and 9395 with the same result as 264 and 266: no picture or sound. These channels are all on 110 tp 19, lending credence to my belief that they are actually same channel.

I hooked up my ex-SA-subbed receiver again, and it cannot see any channels in the 9300 range. I think if I had ever had Dish Family, then they might be available. And if my mother had ever asked for the PI channels, they might also be available as reported by wescopc. However, this was never done so I think we're stuck subscribing to the SD Essentials at minimum to get Dish to turn on the PI channels.

I tried my FTA PC setup again on 9394 and 9395 with the same result as 264 and 266: no picture or sound. These channels are all on 110 tp 19, lending credence to my belief that they are actually same channel.

I hooked up my ex-SA-subbed receiver again, and it cannot see any channels in the 9300 range. I think if I had ever had Dish Family, then they might be available. And if my mother had ever asked for the PI channels, they might also be available as reported by wescopc. However, this was never done so I think we're stuck subscribing to the SD Essentials at minimum to get Dish to turn on the PI channels.

I just pointed to 110 and to 119 with a dish 300 dish-which only allows I satellite at a time- and went into set-up selected the satellite which I wanted. Then I hit factory rest to clear the SA channels. I get Angel 1 and Nasa + shopping channels on 119. There was nothing on 110 I cared about. But I did have to do factory reset after selecting a new satellite. 119 was about 90 degs from 61.5. You can get the azimuth setting for your area by zip code at the dishnetwork web page under satellite setup.

I'm already having 2nd thoughts on sticking with Dish at all. After my last post I went to check out my account information.

First, Dish had credit card info for me from like a year ago when I had paid programming. Since I signed up for Dish Family a few weeks ago I also switched to mailed statements and requested no more auto pay. So I showed a balance for 1 month in advance and my partial month. Fine.

So tonight I see that my account is again showing me on auto pay and they've already tacked on another month in advance, so I'm up to over $50 due on a $20 a month service and haven't received 1 bill yet. :mad:

These kind of games is why I stopped subbing to a Top Pak many years ago and limited my subs to add-ons like locals & Encore. (I later dropped those too about a year ago due to yet more games, which I posted about in this forum previously)

I guess for many folks this is not that big of a deal. But for those who choose Dish Family or Essentials mainly as an alternative for the cash strapped be advised!

Personally I just find these little billing games pretty darned frustrating.

First thing I'd do is to call my credit card company and tell them that my card has been stolen, and can they give me a different card number.

Then perhaps you can get a "disposable" credit card number for paying DISH in the future.

im confused over this pakcage. some say you cant get anyting else with it but yet i see where you can get tbn, locals, and some are getting cinimax and encore packages.

can you peple confirm if you can get the rsns for your home teams with it or if u can jsut add the multi-sport? im starting to get cahs strapped but as long as i can keep msnbc, tbn, and encore ill be fine. but man i wont to keep my bsaeball games. someone let meknow.

"can you peple confirm if you can get the rsns for your home teams with it or if u can jsut add the multi-sport?"

No and no. You can have locals & movie channels. Also, you cannot upgrade programming via the receiver or online. You have to phone or maybe use online chat to make any changes.

This is basically their last line of retention and not what they want a majority of subscribers to ask for, thus the lack of other options. It also is a nice package for those who would do without a provider at all except for desire for news and a few other nice channels to have. I had it and was just fine with the programming itself but was totally fed up with Dish and with equipment issues and was about to get cable anyway for the broadband upgrade.

You can't knock the price! Unless you just gotta have some of the other programming like RSN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts