g-123 pointing help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jasontherock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
Heres the setup: Coolsat 5000, superdish using linear bandstacked lnbf. Looking for G-123 manually 11720 V 27692, elevation 31.9, pol 46.1, AZ 243.6, my zip is 30461. i am not finding anything. Any ideas? Am I using the wrong setup?

No motor there jason, or are you trying to find it with a motor? Here's one way to do it without a meter, the way I find it. Enter the info for 1 vertical transponder on that sat, and one horizontal, in your 5000. There is prob some kind of signal meter-signal level screen in your box, call up one of those active tranponders on the screen and watch for activity as you slowly pan the dish back and forth. It'll light up a bit as you hit an active satellite, even if its the wrong bird. (most of mine work this way, at least). Once you find signal, stop, try to peak the signal, then blind-scan. You'll find something, then you can pinpoint where you are. Be sure to mark on the pole with a straight-edge so you can find it again, noting elevation.
Doesnt take much movement to lose these linear ku sats either, sometimes 1/8" and its gone!
So take it slow and you'll get it. *All this info is for finding sats without a motor, and is only one way of doing it.

That is exactly what I am doing. No motor yet. Plan on hooking one up soon. Bird is just not there.

That is exactly what I am doing. No motor yet. Plan on hooking one up soon. Bird is just not there.
Skew is correct? You might look for 11799 V instead which is listed as a powerful transponder on the list.

Also which satellites on either side of it can you find? As mentioned above that will get you some points to mark on the mount pole and you'll know for sure the bird you want is in between those marks. Then you just need to compare the elevation for what you found to the dish settings and compensate accordingly for the bird you're trying to find. If you're looking for 123 and can find 121&125 it shouldn't be impossible to find a strong transponder on 123.

Thanks Gillham, Finally got it. Adish for 121 and peaked it with my birdog, then adjusted dish down 1.2 degrees and swung slightly to the right and picked up on 11799, just like you suggested. Where can I find out which transponders are the strongest?

The List! usually has strong ones marked.The link is on the tabs at top of forum

Thanks everyone. I see where it says "Strong transponder" on the list now. Jason

Status
Please reply by conversation.

birdview find

Highlighted in red on THE LIST

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts