G10 signal levels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I tweeked my dish on G18 and found very little improvement. G-18 is lower for most people.
I have two theory's on what may be happening. This is my opinion only.

1) G-18 itself, Intelsat may have adjusted for a different beam pattern then G-10 had and may not have as high a EIRP at parts of the country.

2) Equity may be running at reduced uplink power now because the bird is in the box and there affiliates have large enough dishes to handle this reduction. They aren't cranked up to maximum saturation as they were before to try to compensate for the failing G-10.

G18 No Good For Me

Alas, here in southern California, it looks like G18 is no longer an option for me. The sig quality on channels that I watch are now lower than they were on G10R.

For example, KATV (11799 and 11800) is now no longer viable here. Levels are solid around 75% but Qs bounce between 23 - 40 and usually hang around 23 - 30. The "List" shows KATV on 12107 (strong TP?), but I get nothing on that TP.

KBZT on 12113 hangs in around Q = 55 but I don't watch this channel.

Is there any hope for these poor sigs?

Pansat 3500SD
Fortec 90cm dish
Invacom QPH LNB

I expected a lot more of this new satellite (G18), but I was wrong. Right now I have 50 Q on 17999V and is watchable, but it is another story on 11720V. It is also 50 Q, but it fluctuates a lot, from 3AM to 10AM it is watchable, and as the day progresses it just pixelates to the point of just being unwatchable. 12133V is the only signal I have benefited from the transition.

Tonight I have lost the signal altogether. We have had some severe weather blow through today and tonight it is heavy overcast. Hopefully when it clears I will have a signal again. Currently it is only connected to my computer PC card which reads signal levels low, but I used to get better signals than what I have gotten lately. When the new satellite first came online, my signal levels were great, then they went down. Hopefully my loss of signal tonight is just the weather and not due to the electrical storms throughout the day causing some damage. RTN's new lineup has a lot of shows I want to record. Maybe with all the heavy rains we have had in the past week my pole has moved and my dish needs to be tweeked again, tomarrow will tell.

SAME HERE IN CENTRAL CALIF.

Since the transition from G10r to G18 I have reduced quality and signal. My channels pixelate and sometimes I can see a little improvement messing with the lnb and rotating it a little bit. For the most part the signal is lower than what it used to be for me. Anyone know when the G18 will be replaced in that position with a new satellite?

G-18 is a brand new satellite. It launched just a few weeks ago, and will not be replaced anytime soon. I imagine the problems have to do with tweaking on the uplink end.

Well my loss of signal ended up being a bad diseqc switch. It looks as if it went out half way through one of my timer recordings so now I have just put in a barrel connector for now. I guess I'm lucky that it did not take anything else out. We have been having a lot of electrical storms this past week. Hopefully the weather will settle down now and I can get some (complete) shows recorded.

I dont get how people say the signal changed when the satellite changed. Mainly it was a same satellite swap due to G10 getting old.

My signals in MN actually went UP after the changeover

I dont get how people say the signal changed when the satellite changed. Mainly it was a same satellite swap due to G10 getting old.

My signals in MN actually went UP after the changeover

My problems must be due to my diseqc switch and the weather. I never connected the lower levels being related to the switch. The switch only lasted a few weeks. My signals are back up strong after removing the switch.

I believe the foot print has changed. I used to get a decent signal with G10 in Western Missouri and now it's spotty at best. I remember the old G10 foot print map from the link in Lyngsat and the middle of the country was a sweet spot. Now the foot print gerry manders outside of all the trailer parks in MO and gives the wine and cheeze crowd in St. Louie a strong signal beam where most probably have high end cable service and never even heard of FTA!!

I've lost most of G10. 11720 is below the threshold. I tried tweaking and it was already as good as it could be. Funny, just after they made the switch to the new satellite, it was way up in strength, now, only 11800 and the TP with Retrojams still works.

I am also having problems with 123w, it started getting weak around 2 months ago
and went all through my setup, recently checked everything from the lnb to the nova-s card and made some minor tweaks afterwards and still get rtn solid onlyearly in the day to about 5:00pm then it starts breaking up.
I knew some of the transponders were weak on 123W from the past 6 or so years of viewing this bird, but now even with a 1M dish with a 0.2 lnb
I have no problem with viewing 72W - 129W, Maybe my card is going deaf...
---
Fritz

The signal in my Albuquerque, NM location is down too. I think there may be something to the "changed footprint" theory since some of us have lower signals and others not. Like someone else mentioned they may still be in the process of tweaking things. Hopefully the signals will improve in the weaker areas soon.

Whitesprings right next door comes in strong as well as all the other sats on my motorized 90cm dish so I know that my alignment is OK. Except for AMC3@87W which has been finicky since day one.

Could it be a coincidence that this occurred with the growing of the new foliage this year? The change over happened around the time that new leaves were coming out for many of us. Perhaps those experiencing signal loss should double check their line of sight.

not sq problem here.

It was somewhat hot today and noticed that no matter which bird it was pointing at, about all of my transponders were breaking up badly.
( still had the good signal quality though )
Just climbed up the ladder and opened up the box, wow it was hot in there. :confused:

Pulled out the computer and noticed Some welding flash got stuck in one of the stuck exhaust fans inside there and didn't help the situation any.

When i was up there, I put another fan in and pointed it right at the card.
Now rtn and anything else i view is all picture perfect, YAY :D

11718- 50% Q
11798- 70% Q
11800- 60% Q
11720- 95% Q
11805- 95% Q
12103- 55% Q
12113- 65% Q
12114- 80% Q
12135- 82% Q

Here in West Virginia
I think also the footprint has changed.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts