Galaxy 16 C-Band (DVB-S2 Transponders)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
With a little tweaking can the DVB-S2 transponders on Galaxy 16 (99.oW) C-Band be received using a 6' dish without the video breaking up? I'm mainly interested in receiving the ABC feeds.

Not reliably. I had to tune up my 10 footer back in the winter to get them to come in good.

Reactions: PopcornNMore
Agree with KE4EST. Using an optimized 10' and PLL here in Northern California and occasionally have a problem locking on the 9/10 FEC transponders. A 6' may tune these feeds, but certainly will not be reliable.

PopcornNMore, I think you should give it a try.

I installed a 6' Prodelin offset dish back in 2010 and converted for C band use. It has been pointed at 99W using a Geosatpro C2 LNBF with a conical scalar and works 100% of the time on the ABC feeds running the 9/10 FEC here in the upstate NY beam footprint. I watch these channels all the time for time shifting purposes and cannot remember a time when I had reception issues unless the dish was covered with heavy wet snow.

I realize that some satellites have some difficult DVB-S2 TPs for 6' dishes. For example, until a change last summer on 87W, I was never able to receive the Luken mux with any of my 6' dishes, now it's fine with about 70Q on the microHD. I think 99W is one of the best C band satellites for the hobbyist, a nice variety of channels.

Reactions: danristheman
Corrado, I'm going to try again this weekend. The dish is now pointed to SES-3. Last night, I actually broke the scalar ring while trying the loosen a rusted set screw and replaced with a new WSI C-band LNBF that I had as a spare and saw an increase in signal. So, now I'm going to go back to Galaxy 16 and see if the increased signal helps discover additional transponders. I also ordered a Titanium Satellite C1-PLL C-Band LNBF yesterday, so I want to experiment with that too. I actually received these ABC channels with no breakups using a 4' dish several years ago, but I believe they probably were DVB-S back then.

I agree with Corrado, give it a try. I am using an 8 ft stationary aimed at 99W, and receive one of the ABC feeds with a Q of 98-100 on my AzBox Premium Plus, and a Q of 86 on my AzBox miniMe. The LNBF is a C-Band Dual output (not PLL) feeding switches to allow multiple receivers off of the one dish. Avatar pix shows the LNBF and dish, although I have changed the offset LNBF and its mounting since that photo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)