Galaxy 19 Ku Low Signal Quality

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

N4ST

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Jersey, VA
I have re-pointed two different Ku systems from 101° to 97° and am having a tough time getting decent signal levels on Galaxy 19. Both systems are using 90cm dishes and Mercury II receivers with a single LNB. I bought a new LNB for my dish to see if if made any difference. Nope. After much nudging and budging, the best I can do is low 30s in signal quality. Both systems were working fine on AMC4.

I'm in Virginia. Is anyone in the Mid-Atlantic area doing any better?

What TP are you using to peak with?
There was a test done recently, that if you peaked using a particular TP, the others were a little weak.

I peaked on 11842, because that was the primary target.

I played with the skew, which has a fairly slow peaking response.

Don't get me wrong, I ended up with ~200 watchable TV channels on Galaxy 19, but the margin is so very low compared to AMC4. A little rain and I've got nothing.

Using string - one vertical and one horizontal - test to see if the dish is absolutely flat across the front face. AMC 4 was a stronger signal then G19. So it is essential for the dish to have an excellent parabolic surface.
Bob

Yesterday I also noticed the 11842 was quite low compared to others but I was still getting something in the 60's % if I remember correctly, some other TP's were in the high 90's %, so I knew I had the dish aimed correctly. I'm in So California. I hope they finalize this bird, looks like they may be tweaking it still.

I did the "string thing" a couple of years ago on my dish and had about 1/2" gap where the strings crossed. I flexed the dish (without removing it from the pole) until the strings just kissed. I had checked my Father-in-Law's, before I mounted it, on a concrete floor (and yes I rotated the dish to make sure it wasn't the floor out of whack). I flexed that one until the rim touched all the way around on the floor. I probably should recheck to see if these dishes have "memory" and gradually have re-warped. Good suggestion.

I did the "string thing" a couple of years ago on my dish and had about 1/2" gap where the strings crossed. I flexed the dish (without removing it from the pole) until the strings just kissed. I had checked my Father-in-Law's, before I mounted it, on a concrete floor (and yes I rotated the dish to make sure it wasn't the floor out of whack). I flexed that one until the rim touched all the way around on the floor. I probably should recheck to see if these dishes have "memory" and gradually have re-warped. Good suggestion.

If you have one good eye you can sight the dish from the sides and top and compare the edges, I can usually see any sign of warpage, then take it from there. If you use string, you'll have to move the string around the dish and check from various locations, the eyeball test may not be as accurate but it's a quicker way.

One more idea, with your TV & stb connected close by and the signal meter visible on the screen, try flexing the dish gently in various locations to see how the signal responds, this helps a lot to tell you if the dish is out of alignment or warped.

I peaked on 11842, because that was the primary target.

I played with the skew, which has a fairly slow peaking response.

Don't get me wrong, I ended up with ~200 watchable TV channels on Galaxy 19, but the margin is so very low compared to AMC4. A little rain and I've got nothing.
:eek: No!!! Use either of these transponders here.

Good to Go!

What a big dummy (I am)! Always watchful of the distant treeline to make sure they don't interfere with the birds I need, when I re-pointed for Galaxy 19 I didn't notice a limb encroaching from a near tree that was ABOVE my dish. I thought it was well above my line-of-sight, but a quick check by sighting down a digital level told me it was a problem. Who would have thought that swinging the dish 4° to the East would cause a problem. Now I have an SQ in the upper 50's on my Mercury II and on my Twinhan, so life is good. Sorry, for the false alarm. :eek:

Last edited:
:eek: No!!! Use either of these transponders here.

here at home i use a .75 to point at the t5 @the 97 ... i get it very easy ... but in the field that sat is very hard to point to ... it is usually very picky....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts