Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I just got my 1 meter dish back into operation and scanned Galaxy 19 Ku. I scanned in 196 channels and found nothing of interest. But, it is interesting that there are so many religious and foreign language programming and yet few secular English language programming on Ku that's worth watching. If it wasn't for things like rain fade maybe there would be more Ku content. Just sayin'.

Unlike the early days, rain fade can be greatly overcome by healthy link budgets and satellite builds.

If there weren't multiple subscription KU providers, there probably would be a lot of FTA KU content... Just sayin' :D

Reactions: KE4EST
30W also has English programming, especially first run movies.

Isn't johnnynobody too far west to join the 30W club?

nux.jpg

The Lat/Long puts it somewhere SW of Alliance, Nebraska.
On Dishpointer, it shows 30W for Alliance at 3.9° elevation. That low on the horizon, the corn and center pivots might get in the way

If I could get the dish up 50 feet above ground I'd be able to clear the trees. Maybe then?

Possibly? It would be worth a try from the ground first.

With such a low elevation, maybe a dedicated dish upside down or sidewinder style?

No need to turn dish upside down. Simply tilt the mast toward the sat. It will look weird having the dish pointing at the ground. Remember the offset dish is actually looking up at about 24?.
I tried this when looking at Eutelsat at 8W. At my location its 4.5? above the horizon. The elevation adj on the dish goes down to only 10?. Tilting the mast worked well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)