Galaxy 19 pain in the neck!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hectorarmand

Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Seattle WA.
I'm a total newbie about this, actually the engineering/satellite its not my area.
I work for a small tv station in Seattle WA. Since we don't have Chief Engineer (he passed away few months ago). I'm in charge of Master Control just because I'm a "technology friendly guy" :confused:
I know how to find a bird, i know about polarization, etc...
My problem is: i have to catch Galaxy 19. Using a birdog i found it just in H. Polarization, and the signal its very weak. I'm getting just 8.0db. On V polarization 'm getting nothing. Move the this or LNB means lost the satellite (it is very touchy). With the same dish (a 2.4m Patriot) i'm able to get a lot of sats. with any problem. Is there something special i should know about G19?

Other newbie question. how i can power a LNB?

Thanks!

Not sure how a "bird dog" works as I've never used one of those but I normally use the receiver to show me what Quality level I'm getting, which is what determines whether you get a lock or not with a receiver. Signal strength can help locate a Sat but Quality is what locks the receiver on to it.
You didn't specify what LNB you are working with so it's kinda difficult to help with that part. Most of the time voltage output from the receiver is what both powers the LNB and also switches polarity. Not sure how a "bird dog" does that.

It would help if you were to post more details about the equipment you are trying to use?

Hector,

I engineer at a radio station using commercial Patriot dishes. These dishes usually have a single polarity LNB or an orthomode feed with two single polarity LNB's. Your Bird dog is capable of powering the lnb and wants to switch from V to H using voltage switching which your lnb probably doesn't use voltage switching. If you only have one lnb on that dish you have to rotate the lnb 90 deg. for the other polarity.
Post some pictures to help us help you.

Pix

I'm trying to pick up Freq. 3760.00000 (azteca). I already found G19 but it is almost impossible to get more than 6dB. Move the dish a millimeter means lost the sat.
Picture 6.pngthis is the type of dish that i have

IMG_0651.jpgAnd this the type of horn and LNBs

Attachments

• IMG_0651.JPG
    IMG_0651.JPG
    326.6 KB · Views: 218
Hector,

Yes that is a two port orthomode feed with single polarity lnb's. You can only look at one polarity at a time, then connect to the other. Leave the Birdog set to Horz for both.
The dish is wild. Never seen one of those. Don't know why it would be so touchy. C-band should let you move the dish an inch or so. Just do all moves slowly in small increments.

EDIT:
I see one thing that might be a problem. Azteca looks like it is DVB-S2. I don't know that a Birdog can tune that. Try for AMG TV, connect your Birdog to the horz lnb, key in 3991 Horz, SR 9983 which is DVB-S. Peak your dish on this signal then connect your down link cable to the vertical lnb, go inside and tune in Azteca on your receiver.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts