Galaxy 23 in Edmonton Alberta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeltaQuadrant

Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Mars
I've been wanting to get into C-Band for a while. There seems to be some great channels available. I don't have any equipment yet and wanted to do some research on the satellites I'm interested in. One particular satellite I'm interested in is Galaxy 23. I checked out some other sites to see what the EIRP values were for Edmonton Alberta and honestly find the values a bit hard to believe, so I figured I'd ask the pros here. Satbeams says that in Edmonton C-band on Galaxy 23 has an EIRP of 40dbW with a recommended dish size of 150cm (59.1"). That seems pretty small to me. Is Galaxy 23 just an anomaly in that it's signal is that strong, or is Satbeams out to lunch? Thanks,

anytime I see info on those take them with a grain of salt. While some signals are very strong and can be picked up with a 4 foot dish here in Minneapolis, Minnesota (as example Sportstime Ohio and the Jewelry TV HD signal) most require a 6 foot dish at minimum. In Edmonton I would say 6 foot minimum 8 foot recommended

I've been wanting to get into C-Band for a while. There seems to be some great channels available. I don't have any equipment yet and wanted to do some research on the satellites I'm interested in. One particular satellite I'm interested in is Galaxy 23. I checked out some other sites to see what the EIRP values were for Edmonton Alberta and honestly find the values a bit hard to believe, so I figured I'd ask the pros here. Satbeams says that in Edmonton C-band on Galaxy 23 has an EIRP of 40dbW with a recommended dish size of 150cm (59.1"). That seems pretty small to me. Is Galaxy 23 just an anomaly in that it's signal is that strong, or is Satbeams out to lunch? Thanks,

I only live about 4 hours from you DeltaQuadrant...

I could get g23 with my old 6 footer... some of the signals were weakish... but watchable... :)

I only live about 4 hours from you DeltaQuadrant...

I could get g23 with my old 6 footer... some of the signals were weakish... but watchable... :)

Haha... Well that depends on which direction the 4 hours is... If it's straight south, then you'd probably get away with a slightly smaller dish. Thanks for the information everyone. I thought that Satbeams was a bit out of whack. What's the best LNB to get the best variety? Ex: Is there a C-band, Linear, Circular LNB all in one??

I'm in Saskatoon SK... so you arent much farther north than me... about hour/ hour and a half...

a wideband corotor will do circular and linear

but for lnbf's its linear, untill you insert the di-electric plate then it will get circular... not both at once...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)