Game over for me guys...

cheezwiz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2004
I am sick of this crap...
I have ordered two ReplayTV boxes.
I will cancel my Dish account and gladly send back my POS 522.
I will even post the Serial Number here before I ship it.
That way, if Maximum gets it, he will know to just send it back... ;)

I WILL NOT subscribe to DirecTV because they are in cahoots with the dark one.

Replay has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, so if it sucks, I will go back to a TIVO. If that happens I will report back on how bad they suck too.. Otherwise if you don't hear from me again, then I am a happy camper.

Later,
CW

So far, all of my 522s have been brand new (I think). I have an installer come out and deliver it instead of doing the RMA thing so I don't get somebody else's problem. Of course they might just be re-packaged boxes but they all had clean drives.

I'll agree. ReplayTV is much slower, more annoying, and not as easy to navigate as the Tivo. If you don't like the 522, the replayTV won't be much better.

This coming from someone that's owned a Tivo (still do), ReplayTV 4000 (returned), and a 522 (sadly).

Jahntassa said:
I'll agree. ReplayTV is much slower, more annoying, and not as easy to navigate as the Tivo. If you don't like the 522, the replayTV won't be much better.

This coming from someone that's owned a Tivo (still do), ReplayTV 4000 (returned), and a 522 (sadly).

Ahh how I long for the days of TIVO... wonder why I went ahead and agreed to their dish dvr plan.

Jahntassa said:

I wish I'd never sold my 5040, it's far quicker than my 522 and the Tivo.

Cascade said:
I wish I'd never sold my 5040, it's far quicker than my 522 and the Tivo.

To each their own, of course. It does depend a lot on what you like. I just preferred the Tivo interface over the ReplayTV. And from what i've read, I wouldn't doubt the 5040 would be the faster box. I think the 4000 was one of those minor "mistakes" in the ReplayTV line..

The 5000 series looks awesome. I will be connecting both boxes to my home network. Together they will work out scheduling conflicts automatically, so it will work like the 522 or Tivo, and it has all the features for first runs, seasons pass, following a changed time slot and such.

Also, I will be able to stream shows from one box to the other or either to my computer. I will also be able to offload shows to my computer for archiving to DVD... the list goes on..... All this will be $20 per month since my cable TV is now free. Also, my free cable has more channels than my $45/month dish plan... I will certainly be better off.. Unless the replays do suck... Then there is Tivo....

Only real downside I see is the hit you are going to have in picture quality you will be going from analog cable to digital in the replay/Tivo for storage then when you play it back it will go from digital to analog each time there will be a little picture quality loss. And if you cable is digital you will have digital to analog to digital for storage then digital to analog for viewing. I know I had cable and a SA Tivo for a long time and the picture quality is not near as good as the 522 even though the stablility and feature were better the picture quality was not as good.

A hit in picture quality????
Have you not read any of my posts?
My picture "Quality" is so bad that I am dumping Dish...

What good is a picture that glitches, drops out, clicks, pops... yada yada yada.....

Aside from that, Dish's picture quality sucks anyways when it did work. No antialiasing and constant mpeg artifacts...

Jahntassa said:

Having owned both a SA Tivo and a 501, you couldn't get me to give up my 5040 or 5504. The ability to share content between units out of the bo:mad:long before Tivo started giving it away for free) and the existence of DVArchive make it a no-brainer in my particular situation. Also, show me any Tivo with as fast of an EPG as a 5000 or newer sereis ReplayTV.

itsonthedish said:
The pops and ticks have gotten so bad that some shows are not even worth watching.

For us, no show is worth watching. Unless watching live, with no other recordings. It really pisses me off... V1.69 of the software was fine. All I had to do then was reboot once per week. Everything since it has been a nightmare.

How messed up is it that "all you had to do was reboot it once or a week"?
I too suffered with a 522, and I agree that these software revisions cause more problems then fixes.
Because of crap like that, the now poor customer service and the poor excuse for HD I made the switch to DirectTV.

Got the replays going. So far so good. They are fast. As fast as the 522. Faster than my series 1 Tivo... :) :)

Done,

My Dish sub is canceled and the box to ship this piece-o-crap 522 back to the Hell it came from is on its way.

The Replay's are awesome. I can even download movies from IRC or Bitorrent and stream them from my computer directly to the boxes using DVArchive. I can download shows from the Replay's to my computer and archive them to DVD if I wish. And I get more channels with my free basic cable than I was getting with my Dish sub.

Not to mention that I can log into my computer via Remote Desktop and schedule shows OR from replays web site!

I am happy now and my wife has stopped bitching..... :)

Good For you. I hope that cable is able to please your wife.

Wait a year and maybe Dish will have the 522 working correctly. I traded in my 811 in for a 921 from dishdepot.com for the same reason; poor quality receiver. Then if you want you can come back.

Just remember that cable has a tendacy to go up a lot every year. Our local cable company(TWC) didn't even wait till next year to go up on their digital cable. They introduced the new hd/dual tuner dvr(45 hour capicity), and went up $3.00-$6.00 on their bill, depending on your individual package.

We can look forward to another hefty increase in the spring I'm sure. :eek:

cheezwiz said:
Done,

My Dish sub is canceled and the box to ship this piece-o-crap 522 back to the Hell it came from is on its way.

The Replay's are awesome. I can even download movies from IRC or Bitorrent and stream them from my computer directly to the boxes using DVArchive. I can download shows from the Replay's to my computer and archive them to DVD if I wish. And I get more channels with my free basic cable than I was getting with my Dish sub.

Not to mention that I can log into my computer via Remote Desktop and schedule shows OR from replays web site!

I am happy now and my wife has stopped bitching..... :)
Glad to see you're now experiencing a real DVR and not a buggy beta-test unit or the "Fisher-Price DVR".

As promised...
My 522's ID: RAEGAP08977D & R0061991717

If Dish sends you this DVR, stamp it Return to Sender.

I am outta here. Perhaps in a while Dish will get their act together.
Good luck all!

Have 2 5040's and a 501 the 5040's are networked with 2 pc's have upgraded both and with dvarchive have a total possible of 640 gigs between them all, not counting my htpc with an additional 80 if I networked it... 1 5240 hooked to a D* sd rec. and the other 5280 hooked to a E*6000u(dual drives on both). like the 501 but Replays rock...too bad there is not a HD version

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)