Gamefinder accuracy for NHL Center Ice????

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
This is the first year I subscribed to NHL Center Ice. I'm hoping someone who has subscribed before can tell me how accurate DISH Gamefinder is for these channels.

As an example, it's Tuesday morning as I write this and the DISH gamefinder schedule shows only two games being shown on NHL Center Ice this coming Thursday. The Rangers/Carolina game is not listed. Meanwhile, the Dtv NHL Center Ice schedule shows they will be covering both feeds (NYR & CAR) as well as many other games.

Also, over the last few days, DISH gamefinder showed that for my zip code (96753), multiple games each day would be carried both HD and SD. However, only one channel (580) was occasionally HD even though several others were listed as available in HD.

Here in Hawaii I'm used to our RSN's listing in the gamefinder as both HD and SD for live games but only SD is available. Do you folks on the mainland have the same experience?

SD is not so bad for the games emanating from Comcast SportsNet stations but anything from the FOX feeds is pretty horrid quality.

I am showing that this game is blacked out in your area. You can double check Mydish.com/gamefinder for information on which games are blacked out.

Yes. The Ranger/Carolina game I referred to is blacked out on the Carolina RSN that is part of our multisport package.

The point is - NHL Center Ice package is supposed to give us out of market games. So far it's been great for that.

However, the ads say "up to 40 out of market games per week".

The reason I'm querying is that if the "out of market" games I specifically subscribed for are not available, the value of my payment is diminished tremendously.

As I mentioned in my original post, the Dtv schedule for NHL Center Ice shows that both the Carolina and MSG feed of that game will be shown in both HD and SD. So far DISH game finder does not show we will see that game at all (as well as many other NHL games sked for that night).

At this point I'm just wondering if DISH's Center Ice subscription will give me the games that I took as an implied agreement.

I understand you concern. We do no have any control over what game are included in the NHL package. you can find a full listing of included games on our website under PPV, Sports, Hockey. I tried to post a like directly to the page but the link is being blocked.

I am frustrated too! We are less than 48 hours from the St. Louis Blues vs Los Angeles Kings game on Thursday night, and it is STILL not on the programming guide! I really hope they are showing this game, I will be greatly disappointed if they are not. I am already getting a bad taste in my mouth with the NHL Center Ice package on Dish. I had to wait for a JIP (join in progress) for an HD feed for the Calgary Flames vs St. Louis Blues on this past Saturday night. I kind of wished I bought NHL Gamecenter now.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
I understand you concern. We do no have any control over what game are included in the NHL package. you can find a full listing of included games on our website under PPV, Sports, Hockey. I tried to post a like directly to the page but the link is being blocked.
Thank you. But it seems odd that if Dtv is offering ALL the games in both SD and HD both home and away feeds that DISH has no control over what we get.

I am not a Dtv troll. I was an early DISH adopter in Oregon back in the mid 90's when I switched from C-band. I have been a DISH subscriber here in Hawaii since I bought this house over 10 years ago.

I expected that DISH would have a better offering.

Thanks again. The listing for all the games showed up yesterday morning - basically about 36 hours before the actual broadcasts. This assuages my fears that we'd be missing some games. That "up to 40 games per week" statement in the ads gives the impression that not all games are shown.

Other than that, I still have a question about the accuracy of the gamefinder data. For my zipcode, the gamefinder lists 6 games as being broadcast in HD (and SD) today (10/16). However, there are no games being broadcast in HD. It's all SD only.

Over the last week I've had a chance to view SD feeds from various locations and to be honest, it's great just to see the games. Most of the SD feeds are not too bad on an HD TV. Except for feeds emanating from FOX RSN's. Close-up shots are pretty OK. But when they show the main camera focusing on the ice from a distance (which is most of the time), dark uniforms pretty much show up as blobs and reading the numbers on the jerseys is pretty much impossible. The shafts of the sticks look like they have moving herringbone patterns. It's almost as if the pixels do this "flashing" kind of thing. And because the picture is fairly blurry, oftentimes it's difficult to actually see and follow the puck. So far the SD feeds from MSG and Canadian channels have looked pretty good. Comcast Sportsnet feeds also have decent SD quality.

Point is - since there are usually home and away feeds (and DISH is actually broadcasting both in some instances), it would be great if, when there is only one feed of a game being shown, DISH would choose to show the non-FOX feed.

This is the first year I subscribed to NHL Center Ice. I'm hoping someone who has subscribed before can tell me how accurate DISH Gamefinder is for these channels.

As an example, it's Tuesday morning as I write this and the DISH gamefinder schedule shows only two games being shown on NHL Center Ice this coming Thursday. The Rangers/Carolina game is not listed. Meanwhile, the Dtv NHL Center Ice schedule shows they will be covering both feeds (NYR & CAR) as well as many other games.

Also, over the last few days, DISH gamefinder showed that for my zip code (96753), multiple games each day would be carried both HD and SD. However, only one channel (580) was occasionally HD even though several others were listed as available in HD.

Here in Hawaii I'm used to our RSN's listing in the gamefinder as both HD and SD for live games but only SD is available. Do you folks on the mainland have the same experience?

SD is not so bad for the games emanating from Comcast SportsNet stations but anything from the FOX feeds is pretty horrid quality.
Yes. And just use your on screen program guide. I have found game finder to be inaccurate more than not

I am showing that this game is blacked out in your area. You can double check Mydish.com/gamefinder for information on which games are blacked out.
If he subscribes to NHL CI, there is NO WAY on planet Earth his zip code is blacked out from this game.
Two reasons for a black out.....No three.
One, in market game...This occurs when one of the two teams in the contest is broadcast on the subscriber's local RSN. The game will be found there.
TWO, The NBCSN has the game as an exclusive. The game will be found on Ch 159.
The game is shown on NHL Network.
Three, Dish drops the ball because a tech pushes an incorrect button which causes the game to be inadvertently blacked where it shouldn't.
Since the game in question is not being shown on NBCSN or NHL Network, we will have to assume the latter of the three scenarios listed above has occurred.

I am frustrated too! We are less than 48 hours from the St. Louis Blues vs Los Angeles Kings game on Thursday night, and it is STILL not on the programming guide! I really hope they are showing this game, I will be greatly disappointed if they are not. I am already getting a bad taste in my mouth with the NHL Center Ice package on Dish. I had to wait for a JIP (join in progress) for an HD feed for the Calgary Flames vs St. Louis Blues on this past Saturday night. I kind of wished I bought NHL Gamecenter now.
It's there. Chs 581(STL)/582(LAK). I don't know the HD feed channels( If applicable)
BTW, do you have Los Angeles/Anaheim as your "home" market whereby you receive RSN's from those cities? If so, the NHL CI feeds will be blacked out and you'll find your game on your local RSN.
Sorry you are having so many issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)