GameStop/EB PS3 pre-order shortages

Gamespot is to blame here(not the first time they screw ppl up), other stores are getting their share of consoles:

www.ps3seeker.com to find out the nearest store to have a ps3 and how many they have from your zipcode.

Just look at how many Best Buy is getting :

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/rumor-ps3-best-buy-launch-allocations-partial-214804.php

Yeah, sure, GS makes the PS3 and GS doesn't want to sell more, they are not in business to make profit... :rolleyes:

Stop with the spreading Sony PR BS.

PS3 mfr'ed by Sony. If GS cannot get enough from Sony it's only Sony you can blame, period.

How come my local Circuit City in 14th street is still getting 100 PS3s? Something is fishy here.

Good morning. Due to their more horrible-than-expected shortcomings Sony is simply diverting most of the GS-allocated shipments to bigger retailers. It's pure, coldhearted business calculation: CC, BB etc sell Sony TVs-videos, Blu-Ray and DVD players etc, GS doesn't sell anything but games and has no leverage against Sony.

Last edited:
Toys R Us Canada is now calling people who pre-ordered PS3s and telling them they will not have enough on launch day. They are hoping to cover all pre-orders before Christmas.

November 14, 2006

Analyst: 'Battle Royale' To See 150-200k PS3s For Launch?

In his latest interactive entertainment notes, Lazard Capital Markets' Colin Sebastian has made his predictions on the 'battle royale' set to take place this week as the Wii and PS3 see their official US lanches.

Says Sebastian, "This week represents a significant milestone in the interactive entertainment universe," though, he hastens to add, "the significance of the launches for the software publishers is largely symbolic, as the new consoles will not likely be meaningful drivers of software sales until later next year when we expect the installed bases of the PS3 and Wii to reach more critical mass."

Still, "excitement surrounding the hardware launches backed by significant marketing budgets from Microsoft (Xbox 360), Sony (PS3 and PSP) and Nintendo (Wii and DS) – should benefit overall industry trends through the holiday."

On retailers' struggles to secure and supply a continuous flow of hardware, Sebastian adds that Lazard continues to expect shortages for most stores: "Our channel checks with retailers indicate that there is strong interest in both the PS3 and Wii; most stores sold out of pre-orders quickly."

"We expect Sony to deliver 150-200k units to stores in the United States for the launch; consumers without pre-orders may find it difficult to locate an available system. We estimate sales of approximately 750k PS3s domestically by year-end. We expect a more robust launch from Nintendo, with at least 1.2 million units sold in the U.S. and up to four million units shipped worldwide by year-end."

"Due to the limited initial installed base of the platforms, we believe the financial impact over the holiday period will be more significant for hardware manufacturers and video game retailers (such as GameStop) than for software publishers."

In addition to predicting a strong push for Xbox 360 products due to a shortage in PS3 supply, Sebastian also says the newly launched consoles may not have as significant an impact on holiday sales.

He adds: "We expect less than 15% of software sales to come from the PS3 and Wii this holiday; the more numerous Xbox 360, PS2 and handheld platforms (DS and PSP) remain key drivers of growth," though, he predicts, "this fifth major platform transition is likely to be the largest product launch in the industry’s history."

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11699

Isn't the phrase.... No PR is bad PR

being put to the test here?

Assuming they are getting it to play it....

There are people sleeping in layaway section in my local wal-mart. Wow, it's not that serious guys. 360's were everywhere after January.

eBay.co.uk has banned listings in Europe of Japan or US model PlayStation 3s, declaring that only consoles bought within the European Union can be re-sold there.

Last month, Hong Kong-based import game seller Lik-Sang closed down after losing a law suit against Sony for selling Japanese PSPs to European consumers.

Sony announced shortly afterwards that it would be move to stop any other "grey importing" of its products into Europe, which led to another major online importer, Play-Asia.com, suspending all orders of Sony products to the EU.

Almost as soon as pre-orders of the PS3 became available in the US, ads from re-sellers started popping up on eBay, some asking for as much as $100,000 for the console. eBay removed the ads, telling GameSpot, "the seller must have legal ownership of the product. As such, pre-ordered items cannot be sold on the site."

More recently, since the Japanese launch of the PS3 on November 11, adverts have been appearing offering the Japanese version of the console from regions including Hong Kong, Singapore, and Japan. But now, according to eBay, listings will be removed and accounts closed if sellers offer their Sony consoles for delivery to the EU.

A list of other rules have been added for those wishing to sell a PS3 on the Web site--only one console may be sold, the item must be dispatched within 30 days of the listing being posted, PayPal will be the only payment option available, and users must include a photo of their purchase or pre-order receipt.

A spokesperson for eBay told GameSpot, "Now that the policy has changed on the sale of the PS3s, the currently listings are being removed and shortly there should be none left on eBay.co.uk."

Here is Link: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6161842.html?tag=latestnews;title;0

Like I said before, sony wants the preorders on ebay to stop and that is why gamestop and ebgames shipments are cut in half.

RUMOR ALERT!! I know this will get T2k's dander up but some Gamestop/EB managers are telling those that did not get their units on launch day that they will probably get them by the end of next week! How is that happening?

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3daily&thread.id=34

Now I preface this with Rumor Alert so that T2k might possibly take this with a grain of salt. But, this makes sense. Sony did not start production of the PS3 till October 10th (I think they were waiting on the HDMI1.3 chips as they were not available till October 1st)! While the Blue Diode output is lower than the BluRay camp wanted it is stable and consistant. Sony built between 300,000 and 400,000 PS3s between October 10th and November the 10th. Give about 7 days for shipment from manufacturer to the actual store location and you have a production schedule of around 75,000 to 100,000 per week.

Now I say this tenderly, I have talked with managers at EB, Target, Circuit City and Costco and I get basically the same response. They expect some PS3s between Thanksgiving weekend and the first week of December. And they also expect to have more the week before Christmas. Now that is 2 shipments of PS3s in the nest 4 weeks.

Do the math, they are still producing Blue Diodes, the big BluRay guns are holding out their BluRay DVD players until next year (January - February timeslot) so who is going to get those Blue Diodes? Hummm -- maybe Sony's PS3?

Also, Gamestop's website has said there will be no more 60GB units for sale until after all the presales have been filled. Time frame -- within the first week of December! So, maybe Sony didn't deliver all the PS3s for launch -- maybe they held some back -- or maybe the PS3 is in constant production ever as I type this right now. If they can deliver another 300,000 to 500,000 units before Christmas this will not have been a bad launch at all for Sony. It will not be long and we will see if this rumor has legs!;)

RUMOR ALERT!! I know this will get T2k's dander up but some Gamestop/EB managers are telling those that did not get their units on launch day that they will probably get them by the end of next week! How is that happening?

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3daily&thread.id=34

Now I preface this with Rumor Alert so that T2k might possibly take this with a grain of salt. But, this makes sense. Sony did not start production of the PS3 till October 10th (I think they were waiting on the HDMI1.3 chips as they were not available till October 1st)! While the Blue Diode output is lower than the BluRay camp wanted it is stable and consistant. Sony built between 300,000 and 400,000 PS3s between October 10th and November the 10th. Give about 7 days for shipment from manufacturer to the actual store location and you have a production schedule of around 75,000 to 100,000 per week.

Now I say this tenderly, I have talked with managers at EB, Target, Circuit City and Costco and I get basically the same response. They expect some PS3s between Thanksgiving weekend and the first week of December. And they also expect to have more the week before Christmas. Now that is 2 shipments of PS3s in the nest 4 weeks.

Do the math, they are still producing Blue Diodes, the big BluRay guns are holding out their BluRay DVD players until next year (January - February timeslot) so who is going to get those Blue Diodes? Hummm -- maybe Sony's PS3?

Also, Gamestop's website has said there will be no more 60GB units for sale until after all the presales have been filled. Time frame -- within the first week of December! So, maybe Sony didn't deliver all the PS3s for launch -- maybe they held some back -- or maybe the PS3 is in constant production ever as I type this right now. If they can deliver another 300,000 to 500,000 units before Christmas this will not have been a bad launch at all for Sony. It will not be long and we will see if this rumor has legs!;)

Dude!!!, I give up, you still don't get it. Rumor alert, fine, but think logically as a store manager and not as a customer.

A store manager's purpose in the store is to take your money generate sales for his company. Period. They will tell you anything to at least get you into the store. They are relying on impulse buying, You know... buying something you didnt want just to pend money. EVERY YEAR take a look at how much stores lose on returned items that they send back to the vendor. Hey I wonder why people who work at Walmart don't have good health benefits.... because consumers return every freakin thing that they buy there. They don't get the full amount for what they return. I know this because I work in a pharmacy and returning unopened meds gives me about 75% and I lose out on 25% because some a$$hole didn't want to pay their $40 copay on a $1000 med. This is why is why other companies that keep track of your return habits exist. Did you not know about those companies. Return something at Target or Walmart, you think they are asking for your ID for their good health?

SO, a retail manager thinks if you DON'T go into the store then there is NO chance you will buy anything. If you DO come into the store then there is a chance you will buy something even its not something that you wanted and if you DO buy it there is a chance you will keep it. That's how retail works. People do alot of impulse buying, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Dude!!!, I give up, you still don't get it. Rumor alert, fine, but think logically as a store manager and not as a customer.

A store manager's purpose in the store is to take your money generate sales for his company. Period. They will tell you anything to at least get you into the store. They are relying on impulse buying, You know... buying something you didnt want just to pend money. EVERY YEAR take a look at how much stores lose on returned items that they send back to the vendor. Hey I wonder why people who work at Walmart don't have good health benefits.... because consumers return every freakin thing that they buy there. They don't get the full amount for what they return. I know this because I work in a pharmacy and returning unopened meds gives me about 75% and I lose out on 25% because some a$$hole didn't want to pay their $40 copay on a $1000 med. This is why is why other companies that keep track of your return habits exist. Did you not know about those companies. Return something at Target or Walmart, you think they are asking for your ID for their good health?

SO, a retail manager thinks if you DON'T go into the store then there is NO chance you will buy anything. If you DO come into the store then there is a chance you will buy something even its not something that you wanted and if you DO buy it there is a chance you will keep it. That's how retail works. People do alot of impulse buying, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas.

hes right, My walmart store which we just opened a subway in, is expecting more units in a week-2, and then they are going to squeeze one more in before christmas. Will Sony Hit their Target numbers-no. Will their be some on the shelves before end of jan. I think so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts