GameTrailers shutting down after 13 year run

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
Famous internet gaming/video site GameTrailers is shutting down today. It's a sad day for many, as some very noteworthy video reviewers and personalities such as Pat the NES Punk and the Angry Video Game Nerd got a lot of exposure thanks to the site back in the day. Sadly this seems to be an ongoing trend in this new internet age.

That's too bad. I always went to their video game reviews first when researching a game I was interested in. Their reviews always seemed fair, even if I didn't agree with everything they said (for games I had played), and the production quality was polished.

I hate for IGN to be my sole go-to source for video reviews. I really don't know any of the reviewers who exist mainly on YouTube. And from what little I've encountered, they often include too many spoilers for my tastes on story-driven games. I prefer video reviews to written reviews, because I like to get a sense of the art style, quality of graphics, and player perspective.

Looks like GameTrailers isn't the only place that's going to end up closing in 2016. The Escapist had massive layoffs yesterday and closed one of their offices.

http://www.cgmagonline.com/2016/03/29/escapist-suffers-huge-lay-offs/

The story of the Escapist really is a fall from grace. I mean they used to be STACKED with talent. At one point they had Jim Sterling, Movie Bob, Extra Credits, Loading Ready Run, and of course Yahtzee. Now Yahtzee is the only one still there, and his show is basically the ONLY reason I still go there. But I used to go every day for new video content and now it's just every Wednesday. Not only that but the site has taken a MAJOR quality downgrade over the past few years. All the stuff they have you can basically find at every other website, and their versions just seem like cheap knock-offs. Once Yahtzee goes then I see the site completely folding. I get the feeling that he's under contract with them that can't be broken because he could definitely make it as an independent entity like Jim Sterling with his video content, writing, and even game development (he has made a few games.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts