Garages filled with junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
by the way...what do you consider junk?

In my garage where the 2nd car would go I have 2 6 foot satellite dishes, 2 Primestar dishes, and a computer desk with a 20" TV on so when I wheel the 6 footers out and aim them :)

some people might call that junk

Ha! Yes they can. Here is an easy example.
You put a car in your front yard.
HOA rules say that you are only allowed to have cars in your garage and driveway.
The HOA gives you notice to move the vehicle or be towed.
You don't move it.
The HOA tows it.
You don't claim within required number of days.
The HOA auctions it off
(Note, you would get the difference between whatever the fees were to tow the vehicle, store the vehicle and auction the vehicle).

Ha! I wasn't talking about a car parked on the front yard.

Whatever......

You don't know much about HOAs do you.....

I guess I don't know much about HOAs.

You sure set me straight......
:rolleyes:

I remember a co-worker telling me his wife had planted flowers around the base of a tree in the front yard. Within a day or so they got a letter from the HOAs saying the flowers are a violation and had to be removed.
:rolleyes:

Note to self: Never move into a HOA controlled area.

HOAs are free to enforce any (non-discriminatory) rule that they can imagine. That's why I'd never live under one.

I have a one car attached garage that's full of lawn tools & "junk." My wife and I both park in the driveway and we get plenty of snow.

We don't have a huge house and we hardly have any storage. The attic is the master bedroom and most of the basement is a finished family room. I'd rather my clutter be banished to the garage than inside my house.

Same here. Fact is, my car is designed to sit outside. My lawnmower, snowblower, weedwacker, wheelbarrow and the like are not. Plus, I'm sure stashing those in the yard would be more an eyesore than my car being in the driveway.

It is the same concept. Not sure why you don't like the analogy?

Cause one is a garage full of junk with the garage door up and the other is a car parked in the front area.

What's wrong with a car parked in the front area ?

Does the HOA also say the car must be in the driveway with the front of the car facing the garage door or do they allow you to back it in if you want to ?

My HOA states that you cannot park in your driveway overnight. They do not enforce it though.

Cause one is a garage full of junk with the garage door up and the other is a car parked in the front area.

What's wrong with a car parked in the front area ?

Does the HOA also say the car must be in the driveway with the front of the car facing the garage door or do they allow you to back it in if you want to ?

Well, I guess you aren't good at analogies. If you read the example in my post the person's garage was full and of junk and could not be closed because of the crap hanging out. I was using the car in the front yard example to respond to your comment that an HOA can't legally come and take your property if they don't like the way it looks. I would think that most people would have an issue with a car parked in a front yard (hence my example), but maybe you don't have a problem with that. This is precisely the reason that I live in an HOA neighborhood because if my neighbor had their car parked in the front yard I would not be a happy camper.

If you don't think that things like this reduce the value of YOUR home then you are sadly mistaken. The value of a home is greatly imacted by the "curb appeal" of not only that home, but also the homes that surround it. The whole reason for an HOA is to prevent people from doing stuff to their home that reduces the value of the homes around it. Sure, some HOAs go overboard, but in general I'm in favor of them. YMMV

What you do is always reasonable and responsible. Irresponsible behavior is only done by your neighbor :)

I can't believe you guys got so uptight.

You must have garages filled with junk.

I also can't believe an HOA can legally have a law that says they can clean out a person's garage if the door is left open a lot and they have a lot of junk inside.

If the restriction is in the Deed, Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions (DCCR's), the HOA is the enforcement mechanism for that. The DCCR's should have been part of what's disclosed when you buy a house in a deed-restricted community.

(I'm on the board of my HOA).

That said, generally if the door is shut, the HOA won't say anything.

Leave it open, that's a different issue.

My HOA states that you cannot park in your driveway overnight. They do not enforce it though.

WTF ? What's the problem with parking your own car in your own driveway overnight ?

What if a friend stays over for the night or part of the night ?
Car in driveway overnight !!! :eek:
HOA violation !!! :eek:

Some guy I worked with said his HOA said that each homeowner could have one car in the parking area but any more than that requires a special permit from the HOA ? :rolleyes:

Does anyone else have any funny HOA rules ?

Well if you have one car garages like the ones in my area which are only big enough to squeeze a WWII era jeep or a 75 fiat into then no its not a problem getting your vehicle in there but given today's vehicle dimensions that wouldn't work without taking off some trim and mirrors. Even on many modern homes the garage whether one or two vehicle capacity is still built to older specs not allowing for large SUV's to be parked inside.

Now I will say that unless the OP is going into these peoples homes then really its none of his business what they are keeping in their garages and unless he's paying their car note then whats it to him to worry about them parking a new car outside in all types of weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)